SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Keeping tax stamp on hand just in case ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Keeping tax stamp on hand just in case ? Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
I'm fairly certain local LEOs don't really have any jurisdiction over NFA items

I don't get this or the corresponding thoughts by Dwill104.
I think in almost every State there is a prohibition on possession with an exception for properly NFA registered items (does you State actually permit machineguns? I'd like to see one that does?)
So in that case the local police have a State law violation and of course they have jurisdiction on that.


Correct.

They also have the ability to, at minimum, present cases to the US Attorney for prosecution. If there is probable cause to believe your NFA item is possessed illegally, the overwhelming (and I mean OVERWHELMING) likelihood is that that they will be able to legally seize it.

This may be a "you might beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride" situation if your stuff is legal. It's so much easier to just have a copy of your paperwork accessible and to present it if it's requested by anybody with a badge.

I could ramble on for paragraphs about three legal issues at play, the potential outcomes, etc., but at the end of the day, "yep, here's a copy of my approved form with stamp" is a nearly sure way to not have to find out. If that doesn't work, then "I'm a free man and do not have to show you anything" wasn't going to work either.
 
Posts: 5176 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
When I take my Suppressors out of the safe and travel with them away from the house, I have a color copy of the paperwork for each with me in the range bag.
 
Posts: 1465 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I keep a copy that is laminated in the clipboard I use for targets. It goes with the gun bag when I leave the house. The original stays in the safe.



"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
 
Posts: 11386 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Just today at the indoor range I was shooting my CGS-9 and Dead Air Mask, one of the employees came up and asked if I had a copy of my tax stamp. I have laminated miniature color photocopies of my Form 4’s with each item as well as a scanned PDF in my phone. The originals stay in the safe!

The employee was almost apologizing for the intrusion and said “We have to ask” but I was fine with it anyway; I didn’t perceive it as a problem that he asked. Funny thing is last time I shot there when I had just gotten my Mask I asked about it but they didn’t even ask to see the Form 4. Today I had been shooting the Mod-9 a while but had stopped to rest, and that’s when came up and tapped me on the shoulder. He was very polite and courteous about it. I hadn’t yet pulled out the Mask, but I showed him the Form 4 for it also to save him having to come back and ask later.

In an ideal world a tax stamp/Form 4 wouldn’t be required anyway, but that’s not the current reality.


Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)
 
Posts: 1692 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
No NFA stuff in my state, but I do have extra evil registered assault weapons. Roll Eyes
I keep a copy of mein papers (wis ze German accent) rolled up in the hollow compartment of the Magpul grips. (there may be one in the stock of one of my Benelli's as well, don't recall for sure now)
 
Posts: 21231 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTREND75:
I make photocopies of the stamp and fold them up and place them in the Magpul grips of the gun. That way I always have it with the gun.
.

This…wrapped in a small ziplock bag Smile


********************************************************

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet
 
Posts: 10591 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by DTREND75:
I make photocopies of the stamp and fold them up and place them in the Magpul grips of the gun. That way I always have it with the gun.
.

This…wrapped in a small ziplock bag Smile


+1 I keep the stamps for both the SBR & Suppressor the storage compartment of the B5 SOPMOD stock. It's got x2 great storage compartments on each side.




Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
 
Posts: 8888 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by DTREND75:
I make photocopies of the stamp and fold them up and place them in the Magpul grips of the gun. That way I always have it with the gun.
.
This…wrapped in a small ziplock bag Smile

+1 I keep the stamps for both the SBR & Suppressor the storage compartment of the B5 SOPMOD stock. It's got x2 great storage compartments on each side.

I don't really trust those pistol grip (or buttstock) compartments, because Murphy. I keep ziplock-bagged color copies of my form 4's in my range bag and also in the glove compartment of my truck. The originals stay at home in the safe (normally, that is - I just recently moved and the safe was out of my control for a few days, so the silencers and the form 4's stayed right with me).
 
Posts: 7323 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I don't have a trust problem, but since there could be any number of different suppressors on the gun can you stuff a bunch of them in a compartment. Mine aren't mated to a specific gun but picked for the goal of the day.
Myself I have a notebook with copies of all of them. One of those is in my vehicle as I'm not going anywhere off my property except in a vehicle.


“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
 
Posts: 11070 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Tiger 2 Tank
posted Hide Post
Here yeah go. Quick and excellent video on the subject. It will answer your questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVoBlQuQ_S4
 
Posts: 968 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Doesn't it just make you sick in the stomach for having to provide documentation every time you exercise a 2A right?

I would never ever say not to cooperate by any means but somehow it seems it would lessen the joy of shooting by having to to provide 'papers' all the time. Frown
 
Posts: 23066 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Who the heck has to provide papers all the time? is there someplace this is the norm? I've never heard of it. And I've certainly never experienced it. The issue is if pressed can you produce the paperwork, and I would argue its best to be able to do that. It doesn't seem like a big deal or major project. I get that the fact that suppressors are even NFA items has its own set of discussions.


“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
 
Posts: 11070 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have photos of all my stamps and paperwork on my phone. Since they send you a picture of the stamped paperwork I figure a picture of the form and stamp will do just fine.
 
Posts: 7728 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Its funny, the only time I've ever had to show paperwork for NFA stuff was for a range nazi at a public range.

I treat my paperwork like my passport when I'm abroad. I keep the real stuff locked up and have a picture of it if someone needs to see it. If that's not good enough then the not your jurisdiction stuff could come out but said enforcer would be a real idiot to take it there. Also, that's likely to waste a ton of your time while they are still getting paid for the interaction. That said, it does seem like every department is federally mandated to have at least one idiot.

I say show it if asked and save yourself the hassle but I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on tv.
 
Posts: 3077 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Can they demand it? I would argue no, but that won't help you if some cop wants to see it, whether or not she is justified.

So keep a copy with you, unless you want to pick a fight and be the test case.




The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
 
Posts: 53160 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigFan:
Just today at the indoor range I was shooting my CGS-9 and Dead Air Mask, one of the employees came up and asked if I had a copy of my tax stamp. I have laminated miniature color photocopies of my Form 4’s with each item as well as a scanned PDF in my phone. The originals stay in the safe!

The employee was almost apologizing for the intrusion and said “We have to ask” but I was fine with it anyway; I didn’t perceive it as a problem that he asked. Funny thing is last time I shot there when I had just gotten my Mask I asked about it but they didn’t even ask to see the Form 4. Today I had been shooting the Mod-9 a while but had stopped to rest, and that’s when came up and tapped me on the shoulder. He was very polite and courteous about it. I hadn’t yet pulled out the Mask, but I showed him the Form 4 for it also to save him having to come back and ask later.

In an ideal world a tax stamp/Form 4 wouldn’t be required anyway, but that’s not the current reality.


They don't have to ask for any reason contained in law, but since it is a private business, they may ask and have every right to do so, and we should be prepared to show them.




The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
 
Posts: 53160 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
You guys have paperwork?
Wink
 
Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I don't keep copies of my stamps anywhere but in my filing cabinet. If somebody wants to see them they are more than welcome to swing by and I'll show it to them.

Around these parts? I'm not even remotely concerned about it. Actually, shortly after I put the Sandman on my SCAR I ran into the Sheriff at the range. He was admiring the set up and didn't even think to ask if I had a stamp. He probably wouldn't have cared if I didn't. Just another reason I like it here.


________________________________________________________
"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton.
 
Posts: 20277 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a folder on my Kindle for 2A related documents. As I always have my phone which has the Kindle app on it, I always have proof if needed. That being said, I also have a copy in my SBR range bag as well. I do not see the need to raise any alarms, when I am carrying a dangerous weapon, while interacting with LEO who are also carrying a dangerous weapon. IMO being courteous can go a long way in keeping innocuous interactions innocuous.


__________________________

 
Posts: 12528 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by SigFan:
Just today at the indoor range I was shooting my CGS-9 and Dead Air Mask, one of the employees came up and asked if I had a copy of my tax stamp. I have laminated miniature color photocopies of my Form 4’s with each item as well as a scanned PDF in my phone. The originals stay in the safe!

The employee was almost apologizing for the intrusion and said “We have to ask” but I was fine with it anyway; I didn’t perceive it as a problem that he asked. Funny thing is last time I shot there when I had just gotten my Mask I asked about it but they didn’t even ask to see the Form 4. Today I had been shooting the Mod-9 a while but had stopped to rest, and that’s when came up and tapped me on the shoulder. He was very polite and courteous about it. I hadn’t yet pulled out the Mask, but I showed him the Form 4 for it also to save him having to come back and ask later.

In an ideal world a tax stamp/Form 4 wouldn’t be required anyway, but that’s not the current reality.


They don't have to ask for any reason contained in law, but since it is a private business, they may ask and have every right to do so, and we should be prepared to show them.


A privately owned establishment can always ask, but I can always say, “No thank you.” At that point, they can either leave me alone or ask me to leave. What they have no right to do (and a range tried this once with me) is DEMAND I show them my stamp.

I mean I guess they could go down the path of citizens arrest and claim they witnessed a Felony being committed in their presence, but that seems like a stretch at the very least.

Credentialed LE on duty, I agree it is wiser just to show them. Some random range goof? I will politely decline.


_________________________

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"
 
Posts: 579 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Keeping tax stamp on hand just in case ?

© SIGforum 2024