SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    The Emerson Thread...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 97
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Emerson Thread... Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well that does it! After reading Mr. Emerson's letter, I am now inspired to purchase one of his creations!!

Rob

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
If you want to see some seriously cool pics, take this Link to Emersons Photo Gallery. Multiple pics of most of the models, and some models that haven't been released. Also mods and experiments...Check out the Rhino... Smile ...I want...

http://www.pcknives.com/azcms/gallery.php

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Czechvar,

Posts: 21838 | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Czechvar:
Desert Roadhouse BT is nice...I don't understand why some places put quite a premium on the Desert G10 Grip. The Knife is exactly the same, but Blade HQ charges like $70 more for the Desert color. Silly...

What is it about the Roadhouse that is so appealing...other than it was the only bad movie Patrick Swayze ever made.

It is a beefy 6.2oz...looks pretty hefty...Definitely a unique design...Here's the sales pitch:

quote:
Think whiskey, think choppers, think Rock ‘n’ Roll and you’ll know what the Roadhouse is all about, and the moment you pick it up, you’ll know why it lives up to its name.

The more that I handle this knife, the more I’m thinking this is one of my best designs. Just like a chopped Harley, this knife is low slung and ready to roar. It feels like you’ve just dropped the clutch and it’s trying to jump out of your hand. And just like a Harley, you’ve got to have a Rock ‘n’ Roll, Outlaw’s soul to carry a Roadhouse.

If a chopper could be a knife it would be the Roadhouse. This is a bad to the bone fighter with a rebel’s soul and a Rock ‘n’ Roll attitude that cannot be tamed. Pick it up and you can just about smell the Jack Daniel’s. This knife is destined to be an Emerson classic.

Well...it worked...Roadhouse Plainedge BT on the way from Blade HQ...Ernest better have put a bottle of JD in the box...

Congrats, I am very happy with mine. It was between a CQC7 and the Desert Roadhouse.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Phila Area | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Ernie is a friend and a great guy, everyone should attend a show he's at and shake his hand.
Back before the CQC6 he made a variety of knives.

This one has an "early" Viper blade. You can see the Michael Walker influences, a carved pivot, carved thumb stud, anodizing. The half moon logo is cool, too.

Win

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eweiss:
Congrats, I am very happy with mine. It was between a CQC7 and the Desert Roadhouse.

Thanks. For me it was between the CQC-15 and the Roadhouse. I just wasn't sure about that CQC-7 Tanto tip with the Commander recurve. Each individually are great, but together...just wasn't sure.

I wish they still made the 11...to me that was a fine design...

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
Ernie is a friend and a great guy, everyone should attend a show he's at and shake his hand.

He is a great guy...and funny...I wrote their Customer Care to let them know we had our own little Emerson Fan Club...He actually responded himself... Big Grin

quote:

Me:
Hi...I think Ernest might enjoy this, we have a Thread going on SigForum on Emerson Knives...There are some contributors who are hardcore Emerson users, but the number of views is pretty impressive for a Gun Forum...We do loves our Emersons...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5570034313

Ernest Emerson:
Thanks for the heads up. I guess we really do live up to our motto - "Famous In The Worst Places." Ha! Ha!

All My Best,

Ernest R. Emerson

Emerson Knives, Inc.
1234 254th St.
Harbor City, CA 90710

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is AWESOME!!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is AWESOME!!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Long Live The P-220

Steve

Ditto!

Posts: 1141 | Location: Phila Area | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
It came today......Full sized, not the Super. Blade is 3.8"...Roadhouse BT...

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Nismo...This one's for you, relative of your SARK...Ever hear of an Emerson NSAR? This is a very cool story...Although he should've sharpened the line cutter part before filming the video.

posted Hide Post
quote:
It came today......Full sized, not the Super. Blade is 3.8"...Roadhouse BT...

Looks awesome!

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Ernest Emerson has a message he wanted posted up here, and it's my good fortune to oblige him. I'll put it in the Lounge as well:

quote:

Here is a post you could put up if that’s ok.

Best,
Ernest Emerson

Dear Members,

Good day from Ernest Emerson over at Emerson knives. I’d like to say that if some of the owners and enthusiasts of one of the world’s finest Firearms know about Emerson knives, then I can say I am in good company. Let’s never forget or take for granted how precious and fragile our rights are to own love and use such fine tools. I know you won’t, but I say it every time I have someones ear. Keep up the good fight. Thanks for your interest.

Best,

Ernest Emerson

My CUT makes no sense
Picture of MobiusClip
posted Hide Post
An Emerson will be my next knife now.

Well the point was fast but it was too blunt to miss
Life handed us a paycheck, we said "We worked harder than this!"

Posts: 2544 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Hey...This is interesting...Ernest Emerson didn't just drop out of the Sky to be a successful knifemaker. He went to school and actually got his start in the Aerospace Industry. I normally don't care much for WikiPedia...But this is pretty good info...And some of it is surprising...

quote:
Background

Ernest Emerson was born on March 7, 1955 in northern Wisconsin.[11][12] While attending high school he displayed athletic ability as a wrestler and baseball player, being drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals to play professional baseball at the age of 17 in the Midwest League.[11]

Emerson began his training in martial arts at the age of 16 with the Korean version of Judo known as Yudo, traveling from Wisconsin to Minnesota twice a week to attend school.[2] He continued his study of the martial arts while attending the University of Wisconsin–La Crosse where he earned a brown belt in Kyokushinkai Karate and a black belt in Shotokan Karate while competing on the university's karate team.[11] After graduating with degrees in physical education and world history, Emerson moved to Southern California for the sole purpose of continuing his martial arts training at the Filipino Kali Academy.[11][13] There he studied Jun Fan Gung Fu, Jeet Kune Do, and Eskrima under the tutelage of Dan Inosanto and Richard Bustillo (both protégés of the late Bruce Lee).[11][13] Emerson subsequently trained in Gracie Jiu Jitsu for three years at the original Gracie Academy in Torrance, California, under the founders of the Gracie Jiu Jitsu system, Rorion and Royce Gracie.[14] Eventually, Emerson became an instructor in his own right and combined the principles of all these systems.[15] It was in Southern California where he met his wife, Mary, who at the time was one of the world's top female practitioners of Jujutsu.[4] During this time, Emerson worked as a technician, a machine operator, and eventually a design engineer for Hughes Aircraft in El Segundo.[1][16]

Early knifemaking

Emerson's first handmade balisong knife
Although Emerson credits his grandfather's gift of a Barlow knife to him at the age of eight years with starting his interest in knives, it was not until later in life that he turned to making them.[12] The summer of 1978 found Emerson in need of a balisong knife for his study of a Filipino martial art and, unable to afford one on his salary,[2] Emerson decided he would attempt to make his own instead.[16] He milled and drilled the handles from aluminum stock; the knife's blade was a simple steel blank that he hand cut with a hacksaw, shaped with files, and heat treated at his dining room table with a butane torch.[16]

When he started classes with this "homemade" knife, his instructors and fellow students were impressed with his handiwork and asked him to make knives for them.[4] Emerson did so and sold these early butterfly knives for just the cost of materials, but he soon raised the price to $50 each, as demand for his knives increased.[16] Emerson went on to make fixed-blade knives on a part-time basis, but upon seeing a Michael Walker handmade folding knife at a gun show, he was so impressed by the quality and design that he decided he was going to make folding pocketknives from that point on.[2] Emerson contacted Walker and obtained his permission to use the Walker Linerlock mechanism on his own knives.[2] According to a 1990 article by Paul Basch, Emerson said of Walker, "Here was a guy who put everything I was looking for into a knife. It was then I decided to start making knives seriously and locking liners in particular".[17]

Emerson Knives, Inc.

Main article: Emerson Knives, Inc.

In February 1996, Emerson and his wife, Mary, founded Emerson Knives, Inc. (abbreviated as EKI) in Torrance, California to manufacture knives on a larger scale than he was then capable of.[2][30] This new company would be a distinct entity from his Specwar custom knives, although several custom designs would make their way into the production lineup.[42] Four years after starting this venture, Emerson sold an entire year's worth of production in four hours at the SHOT (Shooting Hunting and Outdoor Trade) Show in January 2000.[43]

Emerson continued to collaborate with other companies on knife-related projects as his own company grew. In some cases these collaborators had become his competition, such as Gerber Knives. In 2002 Emerson collaborated with Gerber Knives to create both companies' first automatic opening knife, the Gerber-Emerson Alliance.[44] In that same year, Emerson collaborated with SureFire Flashlights by making an exclusive CQC-8 (Banana Knife) numbered and marked with the SureFire logo and sold with an identically numbered Emerson-marked Centurion C2 CombatLight.[27] In 2005 Emerson collaborated with Andy Prisco, the CEO of the American Tomahawk Company, to produce the CQC-T Tomahawk. This tomahawk features a curved head machined from 4140 steel with a rear spike and a lightweight fiberglass handle. Although not made by Emerson, the tomahawk was designed by him.[45] In 2007, Emerson announced a collaboration with custom knifemaker and knife thrower Bobby Branton. The collaboration piece is a fixed-blade knife designed primarily for knife throwing dubbed the BETT: Branton-Emerson Tactical Thrower.[46]

Emerson Commander
One of Emerson's earliest production models, the Commander (winner of Blade Magazine's Overall Knife of the Year Award for 1999), is a large recurve folding knife based on a special custom design, the ES1-M, that he had made for a West Coast Navy SEAL Team.[4][47] The Commander has a hook on the spine of the blade (originally designed as a blade catcher) which, when snagged on the edge of the pocket or sheath, causes the knife blade to open as it is drawn.[5] Due to its visual aesthetic, Emerson called this innovation the "Wave"and secured a patent for it in 1998.[48] Since another knife and tool company, Leatherman, had trademarked the name "Wave," in March 1999 Emerson changed its name to the "wave-shaped opening feature". Emerson's Wave made its way onto most of the knives in both the production and custom lines, with the exception of the Viper models. It is a required feature on all knives that Emerson supplies to military units, search and rescue units, and law enforcement agencies.[49]

Emerson SARK
After a disastrous helicopter crash in 1999 resulting in the deaths of six Marines and one sailor, the US Navy performed an assessment of their equipment and decided among other things that they needed a new search and rescue knife.[50] The KA-BAR knives issued to the SBUs (Special Boat Units) had catastrophically failed to cut the Marines free from their webbing.[31]

The Navy went to Emerson, who designed and fabricated a working prototype within 24 hours.[31] They found that it met their needs, and the model was dubbed the "SARK" (Search and Rescue Knife). The SARK is a folding knife with a wharncliffe-style blade and a blunt tip designed so a rescuer could cut trapped victims free without stabbing them.[50] The knife features Emerson's Wave.[31] Seeing another need in the police community, Emerson replaced the blunt end of the SARK with a pointed end and named it the "P-SARK", or Police Search And Rescue Knife.[51] In 2005, the Navy changed the requirements on the SARK to incorporate a guthook on the back of the blade for use as a line-cutter.[52] Emerson made the change on this model which is only available to the US Navy and the model designation is the NSAR (Navy Search And Rescue) Knife.[52]

Emerson NASA Knife
In 1999, NASA contracted Emerson to build a knife for use on Space Shuttle missions and the International Space Station.[6][7] Rather than design a new model from scratch, NASA chose an existing model which already met their specifications, with one additional design requirement.[53] The model is a folding version of the Specwar knife that Emerson had designed for Timberline with the addition of a guthook cut into the tantō point of the blade with which astronauts could open their freeze dried food packages.[53] The knife is not available for purchase outside of NASA.[54]

On July 1, 2000, Emerson announced his semi-retirement from custom knifemaking in order to concentrate on this new production company and to fill the thousands of outstanding orders for his custom work. He still makes custom knives available for sale at knife shows, but takes no orders for new custom work.[55][56] Since 1995 the only way to get a new custom knife from Emerson himself is through a lottery held at knife shows where he is present.[55] Depending on the size of the show, as many as several hundred potential buyers write their names on individual pieces of paper at his booth, and at a predetermined time a name is drawn. The winner gets a chance to buy one of the custom knives brought to the show.[28][56]

In 2007, Emerson branched out in a new direction, announcing he would manufacture twelve custom electric guitars per year.[28] His first guitar debuted at Blade Magazine's Blade Show in Atlanta in June 2007.[57] In 2008, Emerson opened a clothing company called "Emerson Brand Apparel" specializing in MMA and casual clothing. In 2009 at the annual NRA Convention, Emerson announced a collaboration with custom pistol manufacturer Les Baer to produce a custom M1911 pistol built to Emerson's specifications with a semi-custom (handground blade) folding knife named the "CQC-45"(out of sequence from the CQC series as the number relates to the caliber of the pistol).[58] In late 2009, Emerson announced a collaboration with Spike's Tactical to produce an M-4 Carbine based upon his specifications for training, chambered in .22 long rifle and in 5.56 NATO; with a matching folding knife designated the "CQC-22" (out of sequence from the CQC series as the number relates to the caliber of the rifle).[59]

In September 2010, Emerson announced a collaboration with Pro-Tech Knives to produce an automatic opening version of the CQC-7. In November 2010, Emerson's Roadhouse Knife won Knives Illustrated's American Made Knife of 2010–2011 Award at the Spirit of Steel Show in Knoxville, TN. According to Emerson, the knife will be used as a prop on the Sons of Anarchy Television Show.[46]

Wiki ain't quite fitting...He needs to hire a shadow writer and put out a Biography...This would make a great book...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Emerson

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ernest Emerson has a message he wanted posted up here, and it's my good fortune to oblige him. I'll put it in the Lounge as well:

quote:

Here is a post you could put up if that’s ok.

Best,
Ernest Emerson

Dear Members,

Good day from Ernest Emerson over at Emerson knives. I’d like to say that if some of the owners and enthusiasts of one of the world’s finest Firearms know about Emerson knives, then I can say I am in good company. Let’s never forget or take for granted how precious and fragile our rights are to own love and use such fine tools. I know you won’t, but I say it every time I have someones ear. Keep up the good fight. Thanks for your interest.

Best,

Ernest Emerson

Excellent. I own / have gifted several.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:

Better yet, go in the back room and attend one of his hand to hand demonstrations! Wink

WAAAAAAYYYYYYYY more interisting than a handshake!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
I've also discovered that if you want to know what's going on or what's new at Emerson, they're doing a great job of keeping their Facebook site active. So when they release new inventory of knives to the stores, they announce it in FB so you can be looking for them. I don't facebook, so I only look at the nice pictures and don't comment.

https://www.facebook.com/pages...314456.2436369608..1

I might be wrong about this, but I've been following the FB stories, and it seems that they release batches of a certain style or model of knife...Let's say the Commander. Then they announce the release on FB. Maybe focusing in on a certain knife during a production cycle explains the high quality, because every one I've seen so far has been perfect. Again, I'm just guessing on this...

Also, new product alerts...Like the EDC-1 Multitool they just released...which is kinda cool...

quote:
From the FB Page:

The New EDC1

To All,
Just a reminder in case there is any question. The new EDC1 Multitool that we introduced is not made by Emerson Knives, Inc. It was designed by me and made by Multitasker, makers of some of the finest hard working Multitools in the business. This has been stated and clarified by both us and Multitasker since we enjoined on the project almost 2 years ago through various press releases and articles in numerous media coverage. It is a great tool and we’re proud to bring it to you.

Ernest R. Emerson

Unlike the other Emerson products, the EDC-1 is made entirely (Including the blade) by Multitasker in Mainland China for Emerson. The user reviews have been overwhelmingly positive.

Picture of wreckdiverjosh
posted Hide Post

Change of Plans...

Posts: 268 | Location: Virginia | Registered: March 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Lousy pics but just got'er in, CQC15-SF. Other than being slightly off center toward the lock side FF is perfect.

Next to BM810 Contego

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post