SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is this the death of the cruise ship industry?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this the death of the cruise ship industry? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
I would be jumping off that ship and swimming for it.

Is it weird that I looked at the balconies, think I could keep jumping to the one below, get to the deck with a bunch of tied up sheets, tie them to the railing and get close enough to the water to jump?

Or that would be my first instinct to being on a cruise ship even if it wasn't the plague death ship?

Posts: 10802 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
You dont need to scale balconies like spiderman, tie sheets together like an Alcatraz escapee, to get close to the water. Just jump, its not that high. You'll be fine.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I read of these cruise ship fiascos, I am reminded of an old movie:
Assault On A Queen
Frank Sinatra and crew re-float a sunken WWII U-boat and use it to hijack the Queen Mary.
Interesting concept.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15989 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
yeah, I've always considered those big ships as like being in jail with a chance to drown

I am however considering a 12 day Viking River Cruise in Europe next year

Viking River Cruises are going to be a lot different than what you get out of those ocean going mega-cruise ships. Like anything, the higher you pay, the more discerning and sophisticated the guests/passengers, which usually means less knuckleheads, idiots and morons. Jump on one of those booze-cruise, bargain package deals, and you'll be amongst the types that hit the buffet hard or, end up on a You Tube video, drunk, fighting amongst each other.

You'll have a good time, just practice solid hygiene.

+1 on Viking River Cruises. We've done them in China (8 days), Amsterdam to Bucharest (23 days), and in a couple months we're doing St Petersburg to Moscow (two weeks). The longboats carry about 175 pax, and generally you stop a different city every day. And no unpacking your suitcase!

Yes, they serve booze, but we've seen older crowds and no stupid drunks.

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11048 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Viking is not the only quality river cruise company. Avalon Waterways (now part of Globus) is another--I've done 2 river cruises with them and they were excellent: 15-day Bdapest to Amsterdam and 9-day Paris to coast and return (day visit to Normandy beaches).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
We have done 2 "cruises". One was the Rhein river, which was nice, and fun. Stopped at several ports to go ashore and sightsee.

The other was an 8 day trip from Europe to the USA on a regular passenger liner from France to NYC. Company paid for that as we were returning from an assignment in Germany.

That was the last trip for the ship as a passenger liner. They turned it into a "cruise" liner.

Oh! I forgot! My first "cruise" was on a troop carrier from NYC to Bremerhaven. When the 3AD rotated to Germany to replace the 4th(?) infantry division. Now that was UGLY.

Had a couple 1000 troops on board, most of whom got seasick all over the place.

Edited to add:

In thinking about this, it occurred to me that I have been on a number of other cruises.

The North Fork of the Clearwater River in Idaho. The Salmon River, The lower Grand Ronde river, Hells Canyon in power boats and rafts (4 times). Not to mention going on a couple of commercial trips from Lewiston up Hell's canyon as crewman, assisting the Pilot who was my brother.

A couple of those river trips were on my cataraft, powered by oars. The grand canyon trip was in 2 man rafts. I was with my brother in his raft. 14 days on the river. Great fun, really exciting at times, especially when we stopped to scout the next set of rapids. Some of them were rated at the highest level of difficulty.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elk Hunter,

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I always said I'd go on a cruise as long as the ship isn't painted grey! I have been on several over the years, but not in a while. We were considering taking one this year, but the plague has given us pause.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And that's why I always book a balcony. In all seriousness I avoid areas undergoing issues and I've had a fine time. My understanding is currently there is a ban on passengers from the Wuhan region and more screening. This wouldn't effect my travels but I also have no immediate plans to Cruise or travel to Asia in the near future.

Posts: 3040 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Death of cruise industry? No. You're more likely to get a virus on the airplane flight getting to the cruise port. And if every major plane crash that killed 200+ people didn't cause the end of plane travel for leisure, this quarantined cruise ship won't end the cruise industry.

I've been on 3 cruises in the past decade and have never eaten at a buffet on one. If you think cruises are all about nasty buffets and petri dishes for virus exchange, you don't know cruises.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Hope they keep it off Navy ships.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6293 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Viking is not the only quality river cruise company. Avalon Waterways (now part of Globus) is another--I've done 2 river cruises with them and they were excellent: 15-day Bdapest to Amsterdam and 9-day Paris to coast and return (day visit to Normandy beaches).

flashguy

Yup, they've been around for awhile.
Tauck is another popular long-time river cruise operator
Seaborn is a favorite that my friend likes, he and his wife have taken a number of their Mediterranean cruises, smaller ships, daily port-calls, no idiots
Crystal has grown quite a bit getting into the river cruise game, premium-level, heard nothing but good things.
UniWorld has a solid reputation, they also have Asian river cruises.

Posts: 14551 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
I would be jumping off that ship and swimming for it.

Is it weird that I looked at the balconies, think I could keep jumping to the one below, get to the deck with a bunch of tied up sheets, tie them to the railing and get close enough to the water to jump?

Or that would be my first instinct to being on a cruise ship even if it wasn't the plague death ship?

guys, they have lifeboats all ready to go. Complete with block and tackle. Just lower it and go.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Back to the plague ship deal. So what are they going to do? If it starts out with one quarantined case, but they're all locked up, and every day 30 more come down with the disease, how long until they all have it? Guess they could sink the ship and shoot any one who doesn't go down with it. Do it for the common good? I want to live long enough to read the history books and the entry about that.

And still no cases in Africa or India? Lots of them originating in France but its to be expected. I remember a couple of weeks ago where England and the US were each sending airplanes to evacuate their citizens, and the artilce said France was sending a bus? I just thought it was a misprint. But its to be expected from a country full of war heros. Smile

And what about Pakistan? And the advanced health care system in North Korea? How would all of them deal with it?

I'm pretty convinced this will collapse the world economy to some extent. We can't even make our own face masks or sanitary napkins. Worse still, where is Para in all this, we need panic buying of bourbon and maybe vodka. Smile How about toilet paper? We should activate the standard blizzard protocol. Time to empty the shelves of all bread and peanut butter. Oh, don't need paper plates, we can use the good china! Big Grin

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Anchor the ship off shore somewhere, and shuttle supplies in. Let the virus burn through the passengers and crew. Most will survive. when everyone has had it and either recovered or died, let them off and carefully decontaminate them.

quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Back to the plague ship deal. So what are they going to do? If it starts out with one quarantined case, but they're all locked up, and every day 30 more come down with the disease, how long until they all have it? Guess they could sink the ship and shoot any one who doesn't go down with it. Do it for the common good? I want to live long enough to read the history books and the entry about that.

And still no cases in Africa or India? Lots of them originating in France but its to be expected. I remember a couple of weeks ago where England and the US were each sending airplanes to evacuate their citizens, and the artilce said France was sending a bus? I just thought it was a misprint. But its to be expected from a country full of war heros. Smile

And what about Pakistan? And the advanced health care system in North Korea? How would all of them deal with it?

I'm pretty convinced this will collapse the world economy to some extent. We can't even make our own face masks or sanitary napkins. Worse still, where is Para in all this, we need panic buying of bourbon and maybe vodka. Smile How about toilet paper? We should activate the standard blizzard protocol. Time to empty the shelves of all bread and peanut butter. Oh, don't need paper plates, we can use the good china! Big Grin

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Anchor the ship off shore somewhere, and shuttle supplies in. Let the virus burn through the passengers and crew. Most will survive. when everyone has had it and either recovered or died, let them off and carefully decontaminate them.

That's my take, too. We're scheduled for a 28 day Princess cruise into the South Pacific in April - maybe. Time will tell.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4210 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a smaller scale, the island kingdom of Tonga refused four cruise ships from docking. Fearing the spread of COVID-19. They've been dealing with a bout of measels outbreaks, they don't need anymore invasive diseases.

Four cruise ships refused entry into Tonga

Posts: 14551 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patriot:
Floating cesspool incubators of mouth breathing, shit smearing, salad bar sneezing, low life’s.

Sink them all...

And sometimes the shit runs down the hallways and decks. An example of a floating cesspool. Literally.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8633 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
I got off of NCL Escape 6 days ago with a cruise out of Miami to 2 ports in Mexico , Belize and Roatan. The ship is huge! 4200+ guests, 1700+ staff. Sanitizing stations everywhere. Walk into the giant buffet area and your hands were sprayed with sanitizer, leaving the ship, get sprayed, returning get sprayed. Personally its the last cruise for me. Too many time constraints with "must be back on the ship by 2:30pm" (Roatan), and other ports. Id rather go all inclusive at an Beach resort and enjoy and relax. The wife and I were never nervous of the virus, as we were concentious of keeping our hands clean and sanitized. The best part of the trip was holding a Sloth in the Honduras! So very cool!!!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post