SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is this the death of the cruise ship industry?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this the death of the cruise ship industry? Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
I hate cruise ships! They freakin’ ruined Key West and pretty much anywhere they pull in. All they do is dump masses of people on ports of call that heretofore had been thought of as kind of “exotic”. It’s on their “bucket list”, that’s all they give a damn about. What a shame.

First off here is the disclaimer, my wife and I were, up till March 2020 regular cruisers.

First I have to respectfully disagree with your statement that cruise ships pretty much ruin anywhere they pull in.
There are ports/residents in the United States and around the world that welcome the ships. They provide a living for people by creating jobs that they would not have and the city's gain a huge amount of money from the port fees. That would be money that would have to be collected as taxes form the residents.

I also do not think that the only thing people on cruises give a damm about is checking something off their bucket list.
My wife and visit the local areas, go on our own off the beaten path to spend time and money in areas that are not always part of the tourist area.
We like to find brewery's that are local to the Islands and spend time listing to the locals and a little bit about their life in the area.

With all that said their are some ports ( Key West Fl , Venice Italy) that would like to see the number of ships reduced or eliminated however it is not everywhere.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The local businesses love this. The passengers dump a lot of money in the ports of call.

quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
I hate cruise ships! They freakin’ ruined Key West and pretty much anywhere they pull in. All they do is dump masses of people on ports of call that heretofore had been thought of as kind of “exotic”. It’s on their “bucket list”, that’s all they give a damn about. What a shame.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
30 mins ago - returning to port

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me and the wife love to cruise. We are hoping that things return to a “normal” level soon in the industry. We moved to Florida knowing that we would cruise more because now it’s an easy drive and we can do it last minute and cheaper. Then Covid.

Cruising doesn’t ruin anything. The cities that complain are complaining about over cruising. For every city that wants less cruise ships I can point you to one that wants more. It’s good business. Unlike many businesses it also brings very little crime. Some extra drunken events. It ain’t bringing big crimes to your city.

I read the articles, these city fathers if they got what they say they want would be crying in their cheerios within a couple years. Cruise ships bring easy money to their cities.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rushfan65
posted Hide Post
The wife and I did a 7 day cruise to Alaska last month and all the people we met during our 3 stops were thrilled that the ships were back and people were spending money. We had to be fully vaccinated and needed a negative test within 72 hours of boarding the ship. My wife did start feeling sick the day before we ended the cruise in Seward and we both tested positive for Covid upon our return to Florida.

Posts: 379 | Location: Margate, FL | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm actually hoping to take a cruise this coming year. It is my favorite mode of travel and my kids love it as well.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post