SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is this the death of the cruise ship industry?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this the death of the cruise ship industry? Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
Our first cruise back in the 90's was fabulous. SOOOOO much included. Our last one was about 5-6 years ago. Couldn't believe the things not included anymore. All in all very disappointed. And that was before any viruses. Will never take another.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
After the Titanic, nothing changed, it got bigger.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The Titanic sinking happened in the middle of the industrial revolution, when international trade was booming, and the only way to travel between continents was on ships. In this way, it was more comparable to an airliner crash. There is was a real need to get across the Atlantic and people would put up with the risk.

Cruising as it exists now is a leisure activity, where there are a lot of alternatives.

quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
After the Titanic, nothing changed, it got bigger.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I got an email noting that Viking now offers full refunds for new cruise bookings up to 24 hours before sailings.
From their website:
quote:
Risk-Free Cancellation - Call for details
That's a good marketing move, IMO.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Well.. I’m set to leave for a Disney cruise next month. Already planning on getting free room upgrade from all the cancels!

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to less crowded boat on the 12th, going to squeeze a manatee in Cozumel with the wife

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
The wife and I took a cruise in the Med 14 years ago. We were the youngest people (mid 40s then) of anyone on the boat except crew and kids with parents. I remember some guy at the salad bar who put too much on his plate grabbing half of it with his bare hands and putting it back. Multiply that by a 1000.
\
It was still cool. We would rent a moped/scooter in every port and go see stuff the busses the cruise line hired wouldn't take you to.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I got an email noting that Viking now offers full refunds for new cruise bookings up to 24 hours before sailings.
From their website:
quote:

Given this outbreak, and the various norovirus outbreaks that have happened on other cruise ships, they know this will impact the cruise industry far greater than most other business segments. Its a smart survival move from a top-notch operation, that'll likely pay-off for them once this calms down.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
Those noro outbreaks seemed like no picnic as well.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
If I get a vacation I”m putting up with people on the plane and at the airport then I am done. No interest in being trapped on a ship with thousands of people. Always sounded terrible to me. Never been on one and no interest in ever doing so.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
No interest in being trapped on a ship with thousands of people. Always sounded terrible to me. Never been on one and no interest in ever doing so.

This is where I'm at, too.

I used to think cruises were a Neat Idea. Always thought I'd go on one. Then my wife, who worked on a cruise for one voyages, appraised me of what life on a cruise was really like. No. Thanks.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
No interest in being trapped on a ship with thousands of people. Always sounded terrible to me. Never been on one and no interest in ever doing so.

This is where I'm at, too.

I used to think cruises were a Neat Idea. Always thought I'd go on one. Then my wife, who worked on a cruise for one voyages, appraised me of what life on a cruise was really like. No. Thanks.
I feel pretty much the same for ocean cruises. However, I've had 2 river cruises and really enjoyed them. One was from Budapest, Hungary to Amsterdam, Netherlands and the other was a round trip on the Seine River from Paris, France to the coast (had a day trip to Normandy). Always something to see along the rivers and really nice port stops.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
From their website:
quote:

I got a similar note from them. For over a year we've been booked on a St Petersburg to Moscow river cruise that starts in early May. We want to go, but not if our life is in danger. They may cancel anyhow, so we're making alternate plans (stateside) if the cruise doesn't happen.

Ours did not say "refund," we'd get a voucher for use within 24 months.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Princess suspending all cruises into May. They've been hit particularly hard. I wonder if the other big players will follow.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/12/...oronavirus-pandemic/

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Princess suspending all cruises into May. They've been hit particularly hard. I wonder if the other big players will follow.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/12/...oronavirus-pandemic/

We're still scheduled to board a St Petersburg to Moscow Viking river cruise on May 4. They have a generous cancellation policy, but we're hoping THEY cancel to give us a bit more leverage.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...il-may-1/5030006002/

Princess Cruises suspends operations for 60 days; Viking Cruises cancels all cruises due to coronavirus

Hannah Yasharoff
Morgan Hines

USA TODAY
Updated 10:17AM March 12

Princess Cruises announced that it is suspending its global operations for 60 days amid the coronavirus pandemic that has already forced two of its ships' passengers into quarantine.

All operations will be suspended March 12 to May 10 according to a statement from the cruise line shared with USA TODAY by spokesperson Negin Kamali.

"It is our intention to reassure our loyal guests, team members and global stakeholders of our commitment to the health, safety and well-being of all who sail with us, as well as those who do business with us, and the countries and communities we visit around the world," Jan Swartz president of Princess Cruises, said in the release.

Passengers currently on cruises scheduled to end within the next five days will continue to sail as expected so onward travel arrangements are not disrupted. However, voyages that extend past March 17 will be cut short at a convenient disembarkation location for guests.

Under normal operations, Princess Cruises serves more than 50,000 passengers a day.

All guests affected will be have the option to transfer 100% of money paid to a future cruise of their choosing. To encourage this, Princess will provide additional "generous future cruise credit" to be used for cruise fare or onboard expenses.

People pay for cruises in various ways, including putting a deposit down, Kamali explained in an email to USA TODAY. Regardless of how they have paid, the amount put forward by a guest will be refunded by the line in either cruise credit or cash.

"Princess will honor this offer for those guests who had made final payment and cancelled their booking on or after February 4, 2020," the cruise line said in the statement. "The future cruise credit can be used on any voyage departing through May 1, 2022."

If a future cruise credit is not an option for some guests, they can submit a cash refund on Princess Cruises' website.

"While this is a difficult business decision, we firmly believe it is the right one and is in alignment with our company's core values," Swartz said in a video posted to YouTube on Thursday.

Swartz said that the company will use the time to prepare Princess Cruises' fleet for return to service.

Coronavirus:More than 1,000 passengers await their turn to leave Grand Princess, begin quarantine

Coronavirus: Will docking cruise ship in California minimize risk of repeating 'failed' Japan coronavirus quarantine?

Viking Cruises cancels all cruises until May 1

Viking Cruises announced it is cancelling cruises through April 30, becoming the first major cruise line to take such drastic measures in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Viking chairman Torstein Hagen wrote in a letter to passengers Wednesday that the company had made the "difficult decision to temporarily suspend operations" for river and ocean cruises beginning Thursday through April 30.

"I am writing today because the situation has now become such that operating as a travel company involves significant risks of quarantines or medical detentions, which could diminish the travel experiences for which our guests have been planning," Hagen wrote. "As a private company with strong finances, we do not have to worry about quarterly profit expectations – and that flexibility allows us the ability to do what is best for our guests and our employees, as we have always done."

A female traveler on a 29-passenger Southeast Asia river cruise was exposed "in recent days" to coronavirus "while in transit on an international airline," Hagen told passengers, adding that she was not exhibiting symptoms but had been quarantined. "Separately, the remaining 28 guests will also be quarantined."

Coronavirus Q&A:What you need to know about Trump's travel ban from Europe

Hagen also cited other travel restrictions caused by coronavirus for the company's decision: Major ports, "including Venice, Monte Carlo and Bergen" have closed for the time being, big tourist attractions from the Louvre to Tokyo Disneyland have been closed, and an increasing number of travel restrictions and lockdowns abroad and in the U.S. have squashed usual public gatherings.

"This is a decision we made with a heavy heart, but with present circumstances what they are, we are unable to deliver the high-quality Viking experience for which we are known," Hagen added. "We will stand by our guests, employees and partners in these challenging times and hope that they in turn will stand by us."

Guests whose trips will be impacted by the suspension can either request a total refund or a voucher for a future Viking cruise, valued at 125% of the original payment. Travelers are encouraged to contact Viking or their travel agent by March 25.

Viking's announcement comes as some other cruises around the world work to prevent and contain coronavirus outbreaks between guests.

The passengers of two of Princess Cruises' ships, Diamond Princess and Grand Princess, have been quarantined abroad and in the U.S. Nearly 700 people contracted coronavirus after being quarantined on board the Diamond Princess and at least 21 people have tested positive after being on Grand Princess.

Other ships have been turned away from ports for fear of the virus, including Holland America's MS Westerdam, which found itself in limbo in February.

As of Thursday morning, coronavirus had infected more than 127,749 people and killed 4,717 globally, according to Johns Hopkins data.

Some people 70+ should be barred from boarding cruise ships, industry proposal says

Meanwhile, the state department, cruise industry and health experts are urging people not to board cruises still scheduled to set sail.

Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) submitted a plan Tuesday to Vice President Michael Pence proposing enhanced measures across the industry as the coronavirus pandemic rages on, forcing two ships of passengers into quarantine and escalating fears on others.

ccording to the proposal, boarding should be denied to any person over the age of 70 years unless they are able to present a doctor's note verifying their fitness for travel on a cruise ship, according to a person familiar with the situation but not authorized to speak publicly.

Similarly, any person with a chronic medical condition who could be at an increased risk if they were to contract COVID-19 should be barred from getting on a cruise ship.

At a briefing Tuesday night, Pence confirmed he had received CLIA's proposal. "We'll be reviewing that in the next 24 hours," he added. "The President's objective is for us to make cruise lines safer, even as we work with the cruise lines to ensure that -- that no one in our particularly vulnerable population is -- is going out on a cruise in the near future."

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's a good time for them to catch up on some ship maintenance.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
It must be cheaper to have the ships docked empty than docked with thousands of passengers for 2 weeks in quarantine. It's just good business sense to cease operations till things settle down.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I agree, but either way, they're taking a huge hit. And it's going to be a PR issue for them going forward, even after the epidemic ebbs.

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
It must be cheaper to have the ships docked empty than docked with thousands of passengers for 2 weeks in quarantine. It's just good business sense to cease operations till things settle down.

Jim

posted Hide Post
I dont think it will end the cruise industry, but there will be some corporate casualties.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post