SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is this the death of the cruise ship industry?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this the death of the cruise ship industry? Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Wonder of the Seas is something like 238,000 tons. How big was this ship supposed to be? I don’t see it in the article.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://thepointsguy.com/news/...ruise-ship-scrapped/

From record-setter to rubbish: World’s biggest cruise ship to be scrapped without sailing a single voyage

Call it the giant of the seas that never was.

An unnamed cruise vessel of nearly record proportions that has been under construction in Germany for an Asia-focused cruise line will be scrapped before sailing a single voyage, according to German shipping magazine anBord.

This week anBord reported that the liquidators for the bankrupt MV Werften shipyard in Warnemunde, Germany, will sell the bulk of the half-finished ship for scrap and attempt to resell some of its systems and engines.

The vessel, often referred to as Global Dream 2, and a sister ship that had also been under construction at the MV Werften shipyard were designed to hold more than 9,000 passengers, making them the world’s largest cruise ships by passenger capacity.

At 208,000 tons each, the vessels would have been tied for the world’s sixth-largest cruise ships by size when complete, just behind Royal Caribbean’s five groundbreaking Oasis-class ships.

Both of the ships were on order for Asia-based Dream Cruises, which collapsed along with its parent company Genting Hong Kong earlier this year after its revenues plummeted due to COVID-19 pandemic-related shutdowns.

The MV Werften shipyard was also part of Genting Hong Kong, as was Asia-based line Star Cruises and luxury line Crystal Cruises. Like Dream Cruises, the latter two lines are being liquidated

The sister ship to Global Dream 2, which is further along in construction and named Global Dream, is not being scrapped for now. The liquidators for the MV Werften shipyard have been trying to sell the vessel, which is about 80% finished.

Both of the vessels were specifically designed for Asian travelers.

Among notable features, the two ships were to have the largest cinemas at sea with eight theaters apiece and the first theme parks atop a cruise ship with the longest roller coasters at sea. As of now, just one ship — Carnival Cruise Line‘s Mardi Gras — has a roller coaster on its top deck.

"The vessel, often referred to as Global Dream 2, and a sister ship that had also been under construction at the MV Werften shipyard were designed to hold more than 9,000 passengers, making them the world’s largest cruise ships by passenger capacity."

Posts: 12650 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
208,000 tons, so 30,000 tons smaller, but will have 3,000 more passengers. I can see why nobody wants it.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
We are going to Half Moon Cay and Nassau in September. I'm hoping the covid silliness is gone by then.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7069 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
We are going to Half Moon Cay and Nassau in September. I'm hoping the covid silliness is gone by then.

Have fun! We'll be booking our next cruise as soon as the vaccine requirement goes away.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Those ships were designed for the Asian market, not nice enough for the West

Just took one in May to Cozumel and Costa Maya, not much covid stupid going on

Have one booked for Spain and Portugal next year

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
The Global Dream ships were for the China market. A pax load of 9,000 was packing them in like sardines and IIRC, the 9,000 figure was significantly more than simply double occupancy per cabin.

Posts: 9026 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Asians love cruises, at least from my experience on our Alaska Cruise out of Vancouver.

After we landed coming in from a SLC connection, 300 or so US citizens entered the then empty customs portal, soon after several China Air planes landed, and thousands of Chinese descended on Customs, it was instantly packed.

A few days later when we went to board the ship to Alaska it was the same, 50/50 Asians to non Asians. Everyone was courteous and things went well, still, it was clearly Asian sailing season

Crazy stuff, and this was pre-covid but by midway on the cruise several people were getting ill, some strange virus was running through the ship, couple of people in our small group got it, kind of flu like. Perhaps a precursor or foretelling of the future...

Posts: 23373 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I see a cruise ship go by my house just about every day. On the weekends half a dozen or more. Sunday is a big day with boats arriving at four and five in the morning and then leaving again at sunset.

Can’t speak to the profitability of it all, but it seems to be pretty robust around here.

All the cruise ships are headed to Alaska and back.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Looking at this thread is interesting. A little more than two years ago, lots of people were predicting that the cruise business would die.

It is awfully hard to predict the future, isn't it?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I go to Kailua Kona Hawaii (a fishing town) every year and I noticed last year that the amount of cruise ships stopping there was down a bit.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I just looked at Carnival Cruise Line's financials. They're the biggest operator in the industry. They're losing money hand over fist. They may still be operating, but for how long? This is especially true with fuel prices through the roof.

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Looking at this thread is interesting. A little more than two years ago, lots of people were predicting that the cruise business would die.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I just looked at Carnival Cruise Line's financials. They're the biggest operator in the industry. They're losing money hand over fist. They may still be operating, but for how long? This is especially true with fuel prices through the roof.

quote:

Of course there may be particular consolidations, failures, and successes. But the point was the prediction of failure of the whole industry. That hasn't happened. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. It is very hard to say.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I just looked at one company (albeit the biggest.) Are ANY of them actually making money? How long are the losses sustainable?

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

quote:

Of course there may be particular consolidations, failures, and successes. But the point was the prediction of failure of the whole industry. That hasn't happened. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. It is very hard to say.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Are the various cruise lines still requiring proof of covid vaccination to sail?

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
If they are, then IMHO they are responsible for their own demise. I've never been on a cruise and don't know that I ever will, but requiring a "vaccine" card/status just puts the nail in the coffin for me. If the airlines want to crater the airline industry, just require EVERY passenger to submit a copy of their "vaccine" card before boarding. Yeah...that'll go over like a turd in a punch bowl.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^
If they are, then IMHO they are responsible for their own demise. I've never been on a cruise and don't know that I ever will, but requiring a "vaccine" card/status just puts the nail in the coffin for me. If the airlines want to crater the airline industry, just require EVERY passenger to submit a copy of their "vaccine" card before boarding. Yeah...that'll go over like a turd in a punch bowl.

I agree. We've been on one, back around 2017, and we'd consider doing another, but not as long as there is a vaccine mandate requirement.

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that all cruise lines are still requiring proof of full and current vaccination except for a small number of passengers who will be allowed with proof of medical exemption. The number of unvaccinated are limited to a small percentage, like 5% or less, and they must have some formal doctor signed statement. Refuseniks like me still can't get on unvaccinated.

Many destinations still require vaccination and/or proof of negative test. While several cruise lines no longer require a negative test before boarding, it may still be required along the way. And those who are unvaccinated with a medical exemption likely cannot go ashore in port.

We'd planned on cruising at least once per year but haven't been since the end of February 2020. We won't go until there are no limitations for us.

Posts: 9435 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate cruise ships! They freakin’ ruined Key West and pretty much anywhere they pull in. All they do is dump masses of people on ports of call that heretofore had been thought of as kind of “exotic”. It’s on their “bucket list”, that’s all they give a damn about. What a shame.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by stkfox:
I hate cruise ships! They freakin’ ruined Key West and pretty much anywhere they pull in. All they do is dump masses of people on ports of call that heretofore had been thought of as kind of “exotic”. It’s on their “bucket list”, that’s all they give a damn about. What a shame.[/QUOTE

We used to call them "Lobster People". They were sunburned and waddled down the streets to the tee shirt shops.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post