SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    High School Boys get in trouble during trip to DC, Media gets it wrong.
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High School Boys get in trouble during trip to DC, Media gets it wrong. Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://hotair.com/archives/jo...ived-settlement-cnn/

snips:

A CNN spokesperson confirmed Tuesday with The Enquirer that a settlement was reached.

The network would not comment on the details of the settlement. Nick’s lawyers did not respond to phone calls or emails at the time of this report.

Sandmann lawyer Todd McCurty:

I want to thank everyone for the many good wishes received today. Now, @LLinWood and I turn our attention to @NBCNews, @washingtonpost
and additional defendants to be named soon.

and this comment (from a general twitter person):

CNN didn't settle w/Sandmann b/c they were guaranteed to lose at trial. In fact, given lax U.S. defamation laws (even against non-public figures, which Sandmann was), they still could have won.

They settled b/c the discovery process would have been horrifying for them.

Posts: 19584 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Not too long ago when I heard discovery was going forward with the CNN law suit I wondered if they would settle. I can’t wait to see how the other leftist propaganda outlets do against their law suits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/poli...s-to-march-for-life/

Covington Catholic High School student Nick Sandmann returned to the March for Life on Friday, one year after the establishment media smeared him for being a racist.

On Friday, Sandmann also returned to the steps of the Lincoln Memorial where the controversy began for an interview.

Sandmann:

Exactly one year ago today, Nathan Phillips approached after the March For Life in Washington, D.C.

Today I stood in the exact same spot I had year ago and did my first fair interview compared to the setup @ NBC.

I won’t ever be bullied or surrender. Thanks for all your support

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Washington Post settles Nicholas Sandmann defamation lawsuit
quote:
This follows the multi-million dollar settlement CNN made with the teenager back in January.

Sandmann offered a not-so-subtle warning to Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey.

"We have settled with WAPO and CNN. The fight isn’t over. 2 down. 6 to go. Don’t hold your breath @jack," Sandmann tweeted.

Posts: 107630 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Most big publishers have libel/slander/defamation insurance, so unfortunately it's the publisher's insurance company that takes the big hit.
Hopefully insurance companies are jacking up premiums on these liberal rags

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Washington Post settles Nicholas Sandmann defamation lawsuit
quote:
This follows the multi-million dollar settlement CNN made with the teenager back in January.

Sandmann offered a not-so-subtle warning to Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey.

"We have settled with WAPO and CNN. The fight isn’t over. 2 down. 6 to go. Don’t hold your breath @jack," Sandmann tweeted.

That is awesome! I hope that the other 6 will fall also! That young Mr. Sandmann becomes filthy rich, and maybe start his own media giant and crush them! That would be truly poetic justice. Big Grin

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Helluva 18th Birthday present!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Great Friday story!

Good guy wins!

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

The best part of it. I'm sure Twitter has legal teams working overtime on this and are refining the dollar figure they can live with paying out.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The lying leftist media wanted to crush him but they made this kid rich. Buncha geniuses, they are.

And they're stupid enough and fanatical enough to do it again.

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Great Friday story!

Good guy wins!

Yes truth prevails here. Do you think the mainstream media will have learned the lesson and will start being honest?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Not a chance.

Their political ideology is their religion.

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not a chance.

What I find equally troubling is people who continue to swallow mainstream media lies even after they are exposed.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Lin Wood:

“Sandmann confirmed for the Washington Examiner that his remaining targets include Rolling Stone, CBS News, NBC News, ABC News, Gannett, and the New York Times.”

Happy Birthday,
@N1ckSandmann
. More presents to be delivered to you this next year. You deserve justice.

By this time next year, justice will be ours.

I have greatest respect for this fine young man. With his quiet demeanor & kindness to all, Nicholas reminds me of Richard Jewell. I celebrate them both today. Privilege of my lifetime to represent both.

Does anyone realize that mainstream media is a massive propaganda machine spewing same messages to instill fear & drive public opinion & policy or is it just me? Public has been brainwashed for many years. We are being played now. Wake up Freedom Loving Americans & #FightBack.
We ALL deserve justice.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

https://www.cincinnati.com/sto...ut-court/5501639002/

The details of the settlement have not been released publicly. A motion filed in U.S. District Court by Sandmann's lawyers requested the case be dismissed at the request of both sides of the suit.

"We are pleased that we have been able to reach a mutually agreeable resolution of the remaining claims in this lawsuit," said Kristine Coratti Kelly, vice president of communications for The Washington Post, in a statement to The Enquirer.

They are so pleased. so pleased.

what will this 18 yo windup being worth ?

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not a chance.

As is the flow of cash....

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://thehill.com/homenews/m...n-post-in-defamation

The judge overseeing the case — U.S. District Judge William Odis Bertelsman, a Carter appointee — initially dismissed the lawsuit against the Post last July, but Sandmann refiled his suit with a narrower scope.

The revised lawsuit alleged the newspaper’s coverage mischaracterized Sandmann's encounter with Phillips, who had participated in the Indigenous Peoples March in Washington, D.C., and tarnished his reputation. Sandmann was in town with classmates from his high school for the annual March For Life event.

In January, Sandmann settled a similar lawsuit against CNN after seeking $275 million in damages. The amount of the settlement was not disclosed.

Sandmann also signaled at potential litigation against Twitter, the platform where the viral video was predominantly shared.

"Don’t hold your breath @jack," he tweeted, tagging Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
his next target should be the NY Times - a win might just push them into oblivion - they're on shaky ground now - perhaps this could destroy them once and for all

Posts: 53195 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing would p[ease me more than the demise of NYT and other political rags!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
Most big publishers have libel/slander/defamation insurance, so unfortunately it's the publisher's insurance company that takes the big hit.
Hopefully insurance companies are jacking up premiums on these liberal rags

and

Happy Birthday,
@N1ckSandmann
. More presents to be delivered to you this next year. You deserve justice.

By this time next year, justice will be ours.

Money, yes.
Justice? no.

The problem with theses law suits is where the money comes from and the agreement in the settlement.

Compensatory Damages- Making the person "whole" (think in terms of paying back lost wages, damages...)
Punitive Damages- Punishing the person(s) who actually committed the act by taking $ out of THEIR pocket vs the company's / insurance coffers

Most lawsuits and out of court agreements like this and Mr Sandmann receives a decent (and well deserved) check, but part of that agreement is the reporters / publishers WONT PAY a dime out of their personal pocket. Yeah, the kid is getting (again, well deserved) money. However, the ACTUAL ASSHOLES at CNN, WAPO, Rolling Stone... who defamed Sandmann pay nothing. And in today's climate, are probably still employed.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
What would be great is if he settled with all but one and litigated that one. CNN would have been perfect but I'll take any of the national 3.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post