SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much does the left control where you live? And does it put fear in you?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much does the left control where you live? And does it put fear in you? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
I live in Marin County, CA. I am just 20 miles from ground zero San Francisco. The leftists here are many and stupid. The believe the craziest stories. I have been yelled at once, from someone who thought if she yelled I might knuckle under and becomes a progressive like her.

In many ways you're in lefty ground-zero, the West Coast's slice of New England, as that's where a lot of the affluence that influences SF and much of CA lives and thrives. Hang-in there, there's others behind enemy lines with you.

I'm up in the Napa/Sonoma-area, it's mainly suburban blue but, purple in other ways, the blue collar rural component off-sets the tech money influence in the wine industry. I grew up in San Francisco and moved out nearly 10-years ago, this area is not as 'progressive' as other Bay Area countries, and if I wished, I could decorate my truck with all sorts of conservative bumper stickers and not worry about a side mirror getting torn-off, scratches or, windows getting smashed like I would be in SF or, East Bay. There's not as many political signs on lawns and windows as say those communities deeper in the Bay.

However, when it comes to giving my personal views with work and co-workers, I keep it to myself, working remotely helps, never mind all the chatter on work dashboards and announcements about inclusion and values. There's way too many stories of 'the wrong kind of people' getting let-go or, shut-out from other companies. There's a risk, it's real, and while companies want to encourage diversity and sharing of opinions, you're only setting yourself up to get marked and black-balled out.

Posts: 14692 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Not much lefty control here despite what some of the local curmudgens would have you believe.
Certainly not afraid of them.

In fact, I find having a few around keeps me from feeling like I'm in a can of pringles.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is lefty harassment a real issue where you live? How much of the country does their astroturf protests really affect.

It seems to me that it does happen on a small scale in fly over country, but most of the shenanigans take place in lefty controlled metro areas where these acid heads know that they can shut down interstates, threaten and assault people, and nothing is going to be done to them by the lefties in charge, or the lefty courts.

That doesn't fly here in Kentucky. No matter how far left Louisville's mayor is, he doesn't control the state police. And the state police do not give a fuck what the mayor thinks.

You are mostly right about it being contained to metro areas but we can't let our guard down.
St. Louis County, especially the more conservative part where I live, is still "Safe" from the looney left but the bad virus is slowly spreading from St. Louis City. There are many who want to merge or "re-admit" as they say St. Louis City into St. Louis County and if that happens all of the City's problems become the County's problems and there's not a chance in hell that a Republican would ever again be elected County-wide.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24177 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not here in Texas.
Even here in Houston I have no fear.
Ironically a friend who lives in Austin saw my "BLUE LIVES MATTER" sticker on my truck and said he was afraid to have on his vehicle.
Guess you have to look over your shoulder more in Austin.
However, I could care less what anyone (fron the left - not my friend) thinks.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
In my past life when I used to live in a small town in CA, 10 years ago, one could put a McCain lawn sign out, or a CA Prop 8 sign (defined marriage between man & woman), and not risk the wrath. In the last 5 years, the town turned lefty, making it impossible to show a conservative streak. Old fogies move out, new young families take their place. Everything became hyperpolitical, especially when Trump took office.

In my present location in DFW, the big change is that the public is not hyperpolitical like CA. I have not heard politics discussed in restaurants, stores, coffee shops, etc. It seems people basically have the manners to keep that shit at home or friends. My location is more towards Ft Worth and leans more conservative. No concern here.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I grew up in San Francisco and moved out nearly 10-years ago, this area is not as 'progressive' as other Bay Area countries, and if I wished, I could decorate my truck with all sorts of conservative bumper stickers and not worry about a side mirror getting torn-off, scratches or, windows getting smashed like I would be in SF or, East Bay.

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine who lives near the town plaza had his recently installed NRA sticker defaced on the gate of his pickup truck and trash thrown on his hood, stuffed under his windshield wipers, while parked in the area. He ended up scraping the sticker off.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I don’t imagine anyone on the Left gives a second thought to putting political stickers on their vehicle; they know the likelihood of anyone who disagrees with their politics damaging their vehicle is negligible.

It’s disgusting that conservatives do not feel safe in similarly marking their vehicles. I noticed, during the last election, very few “Trump/Pence” bumper stickers—even in blood red Wyoming.

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Colorado is decidedly Purple, and in most ways everything is fine. Sure, some things are wonky down in the middle of Denver, with the magazine restrictions and such, and some rural parts may as well be rural Texas in terms of their small-town conservatism, and sure - I wish the taxes were lower and the construction restrictions were less in a couple of popular counties, but all in all the balance works well. Tons of conservatives and gun owners, tons of hippies and enviroweenies, and no one gets stabbed or shot with any regularity, not even due to legal weed and everything surrounding that whole scene.

So, you know, there are tons of lefties here, but they don't harm me much at all, and I'm certainly not afraid of them. They congregate in certain areas, easy to avoid most days.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Utah is a very conservative area, but SLC itself is a cesspool of lib-think. The suburbs are very conservative, but I work close to downtown. It is not so much that I would "fear" putting Trump stickers on my car, so much as knowing that if there is one nutcase in the crowd it will statistically most likely be a Left-wing nutcase who feels justified in using vandalism or violence. So it is just prudent to not attract attention.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I grew up in San Francisco and moved out nearly 10-years ago, this area is not as 'progressive' as other Bay Area countries, and if I wished, I could decorate my truck with all sorts of conservative bumper stickers and not worry about a side mirror getting torn-off, scratches or, windows getting smashed like I would be in SF or, East Bay.

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine who lives near the town plaza had his recently installed NRA sticker defaced on the gate of his pickup truck and trash thrown on his hood, stuffed under his windshield wipers, while parked in the area. He ended up scraping the sticker off.

When I worked down in the Mission, I'd have to park occasionally near the SPCA. My yellow ribbon magnet would always get removed, occasionally I'd spot it in pieces on the ground several feet away; I bought several knowing such stupidity would happen. Veterinary care is a known hot-bed of angry lesbians, the number of bent out of shape, crazy, F-the patriarchy, 'women' there was crazy.

Posts: 14692 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
In fact, I find having a few around keeps me from feeling like I'm in a can of pringles.

Nice turn of phrase, thank you.

I will note what a very Lefty friend told me about their move to Nashville from Vermont: car was keyed and Lefty bumper stickers vandalized. So the mirror image of what we expect from the Left in Blue states. I don't know whether she still has such bumper stickers on her car; we don't talk politics any more (since 2004). Wife now says she still puts those stickers on her car.

Maybe a difference between left and right? Left likes to goad people. Do we? Maybe. Saw a Prius yesterday with a "Come and take it" bumper sticker in central valley, CA.

Posts: 18090 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Things are getting more and more lefty all the time here. One of my neighbors is pulling up stakes and moving his family to Idaho to get away from it. The lefties tried to get a measure on the November ballot that would have made instant felons of basically any semi-auto rifle owner who didn't feel like either registering or turning in all of his toys. The Sec State (one of the very few Republicans holding major state office, I think the only one) rejected it because he didn't like some of the wording, but they're certain to try again next spring (the court overturned his decision but by then it was too late to get it on the ballot). If the voters start passing that kind of shit, it may be time for me to bail out. I'm thinking either northern Idaho / northwestern Montana, or Fairbanks.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
In Madison, Wisconsin there are lots of loonies making a lot of noise, but most of them don't have the nerve to pick on living people.

My only concern is that I might have to defend myself or my family from physical assault, and then defend myself in Court in Madison.
Madison is full of nutjobs. Milwaukee is a close 2nd.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Ha! I live amongst the rednecks. They're good people. Aside from Doug Jones and the SPLC (who have been strangely quiet lately), the GDC wisely keep quiet around here.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20326 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by giz55792:
I have the pleasure of living in the biggest communist stronghold in Minnesota, St. Louis County. It's so bad here, the actively recruit welfare cases from other areas to move here!

You put up anything conservative/Republican in your yard, on your vehicle; it will be vandalized.

I think Iron Range Democrats are (or used to be) a different variety than those in MSP. The Range was always about the unholy alliance between the DFL and unions. With the shift toward Trump among steelworkers, I'm guessing they are hoping to import some new supporters.

I'm just basing this on having grown up there. I live in the red zone now, so may be way off on the current situation.

The area I live and work in went almost 2:1 for Trump, so not much in the way of local leftist activism.

The unions still kiss the DFL's ass and I don't think they really know why. The wife asked some friends during the Trump win why they vote DFL, and they said "We always have". When she asked them how their candidate stood on the issues, they had no clue. The blind leading the dumb.

The younger generation is seeing that following the democrats is not a good thing and more of them are leaning to the right. It's going to be interesting to see how the 8th District goes with Stauber running against a know criminal. We're voting for Pete because we know he's for getting PolyMet up and running, adding jobs and keeping our economy strong. Throw in he's pro 2nd, it's an easy choice.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Most everyone around here is armed, and we tend to be polite, even when we disagree.

God bless y'all.

That's how it should be everywhere Smile

Me ? Fucking demonrats everywhere and many others are mostly drainbamaged by the msm.

As much as I would LOVE to plaster my truck with Trump and MAGA stickers, as well as lots of NRA ones, it's safer to just try to be a gray man, as much as possible.

That being said, as we are on the edge of farm country and there are a number of younguns who run American flags and Don't Tread on Me flags from the back of their pickups - God Bless 'em ! ! ! Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Here in MA, people who don't know you assume you agree with them, because you live here.

People who do know me, either aren't speaking to me anymore, or just know not to talk politics, because they're tired of being upset by facts.

But has "the left" put fear in me? No. This is but one reason to own firearms, I have them if I need them.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post