SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    **Update on Page 3**Time to buy a grill? Recommendations?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

**Update on Page 3**Time to buy a grill? Recommendations? Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
If you have a really good grill, you might find out that you really enjoy cooking on it. I find cooking/grilling/smoking to be a great stress relief from work and it helps me leave work at work.

I agree with this statement. We have a DCS outdoor grill and it is so awesome, we use it 2-3 times a week. But way too pricey for using only a dozen times a year. Based on the op's schedule, I would get a nice Weber charcoal kettle with a cover system. Not terribly expensive,a fairly small footprint, and is fairly versatile in regards to direct and indirect grilling.

In regards to charcoal vs. gas, I used to use charcoal quite a bit until I moved. I love the taste, but hate the cleanup. I still have a Smokey Joe new in a box in the garage, might unpack it for the occasional use.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17196 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure why it takes 20 minutes here in VA. Are you at a high altitude in WY?

6,000’, for WY, the low country

Posts: 13600 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Altitude may have something to do with it.

What type of charcoal are you using? Try a quality lump charcoal rather than processed briquettes.

Also, since you already have a torch, try lighting the charcoal in place, rather than using the chimney. Depending on your grill's design, that might work faster than the chimney.

The way I do it on my egg is to open the vents so that there's air flow. Then pile the lump charcoal in the bottom of the grill. Next, I hit it with my BBQGuru starter torch for a minute or two to get it started. Finally, I close the lid and wait 15ish minutes. The charcoal is lit, the grill is up to temp, and I'm grilling... All in under 20ish minutes.

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Using Kingsford “Professional” briquettes. Never used lump before, I’ll have to give them a try, thanks.

Posts: 13600 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Using Kingsford “Professional” briquettes. Never used lump before, I’ll have to give them a try, thanks.

The lump will burn hotter and longer

Posts: 1584 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased the exact model you are looking at and absolutely love it. It cooks evenly and I have never cooked/grilled better. I almost always use the lowest setting as well.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1864 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I would look at a pellet grill. It is all I use anymore. I got the Camp Chef Woodwind SG which has the attached sear station. Great for smoking, bbq, and can even grill.

No need for anything else.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ero:
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
One word...Weber. Genesis if you can afford one. I have had my Weber Genesis for 25 years now, and it still looks and works like it did when new......

GT, you and I must have the same Weber Genesis. I've had mine for 25 years as well. Some parts were replaced over the years, but it is still going strong.

Dan

I have had to replace only one part over the years. The gas regulator on the bottle developed a gas leak(hole in the rubber diaphram). My starter/igniter still works on the first try!! A class 1 grill!!

Posts: 6719 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
I would look at a pellet grill. It is all I use anymore. I got the Camp Chef Woodwind SG which has the attached sear station. Great for smoking, bbq, and can even grill.

No need for anything else.

I think the Woodwind is great and I’d buy it if I could justify the cost, but it’s just too much.

May I suggest the Rec Tec Bullseye? It’s a wood pellet grill capable of extended low and slow smoking jobs, but unlike other pellet grills it’ll get to 700 degrees for high temp searing and grilling, and it gets to that temp in under 10 minutes from dead cold.

Check it out: best of both world and only $400.

Posts: 6459 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Charcoal beats propane, IMO.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
If any of you are looking for a portable propane grill the Weber Q1200 is on sale at ACE hardwares for $170. That’s $50 off the regular price.

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
A year ago I seldom used my larg Big Green Egg even though I loved the flavor it imparted to things. Just too much haste for the 2 of us.

I sold it and bought a Wi-Fi Green Mountain Grill Danial Boone. I control it from my phone and it maintains a constant temperature.

Add a pizza oven for a special treat.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RogueJSK:

I have natural gas hook up. I really don’t want the hassle of charcoal. I’m not really a cook so it will mostly be used on rare occasions I entertain. I just don’t want to buy something that’s going to rust out just sitting there.

Something to consider is how many people will you be entertaining? The more people, the larger cooking area you want.

I love my Weber gas grill, it's a Genesis 300 series. I've had it over

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in the exact same boat a few months ago. With the advice of the forum I ended up going higher than my $400-$500 range and got a Genesis Stainless. I am VERY happy with my purchase. I got a free iGrill 3 with my purchase from Home Depot and it works great, my first Bluetooth thermometer but it is amazing. Perfectly cooked steaks, pull the chicken or pork off at the exact right time. No complaints.

I also needed a new cooler and went above that price range and ended up with an RTIC 30 on sale. Have not tried out the cooler yet as it just came in the other day, but looks good Smile Being a member of the SigForum sure does cost me a lot, haha.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Your price...... Weber “Performer” with the propane starter system!! Period!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both the Spirit and the Genesis (in different houses). Both are great, but be aware that the burners in the Spirit go left-right whereas the Genesis go front-back. Make a difference if you want to do any indirect cooking. Otherwise they will both last a long time-even longer if you get a cover for it.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
We have both green egg and a Weber.

We don't use the weber anymore, even when we're in a hurry.

I would recommend a Kamodo Joe however. They seem to be more interested in improving how an insulated cooker/smoker works and the simplest accessories for it are far beyond anything that Green Egg has done.

So if you can wait an extra month or two for a high-end Weber, wait a month or 2 for a Joe.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6900 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
Your price...... Weber “Performer” with the propane starter system!! Period!

As I stated earlier, I have the Performer and it is awesome. The propane starter makes getting the charcoal started a brainless breeze. I can cook and smoke anything with it and do 4-5 days a week during the season.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
So I went to Lowe’s today to get a Webber and came across the Broil King Barron 440 4 burner grill. It was on sale for $494. I did a quick google review and all I found was stellar reviews. The warranty is 10 years on the burners, lifetime on the cook box, and 2 years on everything else including the paint. It’s made in the USA which is another big plus. I happened to have a Home Depot 15% off coupon and Lowe’s accepted it so I got it for $419 + tax assembled and delivered. I’m happy with the purchase.

This one is propane but they do make a conversion kit for natural gas.

Some reviews

https://www.google.com/amp/s/c...baron-440-grill/amp/

https://amazingribs.com/grill/...ing-baron-440-review

http://www.toptenreviews.com/h...l-king-baron-review/

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
A Canadian Weber, eh?

Looks pretty good, never heard of them before. Now time for some dinner with protection threads!

What's your first meal going to be?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post