SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    **Update on Page 3**Time to buy a grill? Recommendations?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

**Update on Page 3**Time to buy a grill? Recommendations? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone has suggested a Weber yet but that is my vote Smile I have had both charcoal and gas Webers and they really are worth the extra $. I can regulate the temp in the current Genesis almost as well as I can the oven in the house. Toss some wood chips in a smoker box and you are good to go!

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
If you're gonna cook on gas, you may as well cook in the kitchen.

You charcoal snobs crack me up.

SOME OF US don’t have time to fuck around with lighting charcoal.

Nothing wrong with a gas grill.

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I have natural gas hook up. I really don’t want the hassle of charcoal. I’m not really a cook so it will mostly be used on rare occasions I entertain. I just don’t want to buy something that’s going to rust out just sitting there.
If you have a really good grill, you might find out that you really enjoy cooking on it. I find cooking/grilling/smoking to be a great stress relief from work and it helps me leave work at work.

Additionally, as you get better at grilling/smoking you'll find that you can produce as good or better food in your back yard for 66%-75% less money. For example, I very rarely go out for steak any more as I can buy an $11 prime New York Strip or $15 prime ribeye, reverse sear it on my BGE, and enjoy a steak that any of the big name Houston steakhouses would be proud to serve. Additionally, I enjoy wine with good food and most restaurants single glass charge is the same price the bottle costs at the store. My lady friend and I can enjoy 2 steaks, potatoes, veggies, and a bottle of wine for less than I would've spent for an a la carte steak and glass of water at a Houston steakhouse.

Long story short, I'm a big believer in buy once cry once. You can't go wrong with a Weber Genesis, a Weber Kettle, or one of the big 3 kamodo grills (BGE, a Primo, or a Kamodo Joe {i.e. the kamodo brand I'd buy if I didn't already own a BGE}). The kamodos would be the most versatile as you can smoke 160 to 275 degrees, grill at 325 to 600 degrees, and cook pizza at 700+ degrees.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I have had a Big Green Egg for the past 15 years. My neighbor was moving so he gave me his Weber Genesis. The food cooked over charcoal is much more flavorful.

Posts: 3233 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
You charcoal snobs crack me up.

SOME OF US don’t have time to fuck around with lighting charcoal.

Not snobbery. It tastes better. That's a fact. Wink

Another fact is that a pile of lump charcoal lit with something like a starter torch doesn't take any longer to get a grill up to temp than propane. So if you have time to fuck around with waiting for your propane grill to heat up, then you certainly have time to fuck around with waiting for a properly prepared charcoal grill to heat up.

(That goes double for those who have those ginormous stainless propane grills, especially the cheap ones that leak heat like crazy and take even longer to get up to temp.)

Some folks don't mind giving up a bit in the flavor realm for the convenience of propane. And that's okay. But propane isn't faster. That argument doesn't hold water, as has been pointed out repeatedly in various grilling threads. You could, however, argue that propane is cleaner, since there's less ash/smoke to deal with, and it's potentially more convenient, especially for someone like the OP who already has a gas line run to the patio. Try those talking points next time instead. Big Grin

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I have natural gas hook up. I really don’t want the hassle of charcoal. I’m not really a cook so it will mostly be used on rare occasions I entertain. I just don’t want to buy something that’s going to rust out just sitting there.
If you have a really good grill, you might find out that you really enjoy cooking on it. I find cooking/grilling/smoking to be a great stress relief from work and it helps me leave work at work.

Additionally, as you get better at grilling/smoking you'll find that you can produce as good or better food in your back yard for 66%-75% less money. For example, I very rarely go out for steak any more as I can buy an $11 prime New York Strip or $15 prime ribeye, reverse sear it on my BGE, and enjoy a steak that any of the big name Houston steakhouses would be proud to serve. Additionally, I enjoy wine with good food and most restaurants single glass charge is the same price the bottle costs at the store. My lady friend and I can enjoy 2 steaks, potatoes, veggies, and a bottle of wine for less than I would've spent for an a la carte steak and glass of water at a Houston steakhouse.

Long story short, I'm a big believer in buy once cry once. You can't go wrong with a Weber Genesis, a Weber Kettle, or one of the big 3 kamodo grills (BGE, a Primo, or a Kamodo Joe {i.e. the kamodo brand I'd buy if I didn't already own a BGE}). The kamodos would be the most versatile as you can smoke 160 to 275 degrees, grill at 325 to 600 degrees, and cook pizza at 700+ degrees.

I’m just not ever home to get any real use out of it. I’m typically gone 12-14 hours a day and usually during chow time so that is one of the main reasons I eat out a lot. This grill is going to be for the rare occasions I have people over. Basically I want something not shitty that won’t rust out just sitting unused for long periods of time. As far as charcoal vs gas I really don’t care if people don’t like my burgers...they are gett’n for free! Wink

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have had a Weber spirit for several years. Highly recommend.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a weber summit that has a smoker box so you get the best of both worlds. It is 5 years old and I wanted new burners. Called weber customer service and they shipped them to me free. Great customer service. I also have a charcoal pit I use from time to time. So I suggest if you want LP get a weber. You will not be disappointed.

Posts: 1571 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
My personal opinion, having cooked a lot of stuff on a bunch of different charcoal grills and several good gas grills, is that for cooking things fast over high, direct heat (e.g., steaks), there's little if any flavor benefit to using charcoal.

The longer the cook time and the lower the temperature, the more difference I see.

That's why I have a gas grill and a pellet grill.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Maladat, if you have a pellet grill and are still cooking your steaks fast over high direct heat, you're doing it wrong.

Try a "reverse sear" instead. Best steak you'll ever make.

Put your steaks on the pellet grill at 225ish until they're 5-10 degrees shy of the internal temp of your liking. This will require the use of a quality temperature probe. I take mine to 130, 5 degrees shy of my preferred medium rare (135 degrees).

Then take the steaks off, wrap them in foil to hold the temp, quickly run the pellet grill as high as it will go (ideally over 500), unwrap the steaks, and sear the steaks for about 1 minute on each side. You'll end up with a perfectly done interior that's juicy and tender, a perfectly seared exterior, and a great smoked flavor.

Alternately, since you have two grills, you can preheat your gas grill as high as it will go, and immediately transfer the steaks from the pellet grill to the preheated propane grill for that final quick sear. This makes the sear process a lot faster and easier than trying to do it all on just the pellet grill. I do it this way with my egg and my pellet grill.

Another option is to use a preheated cast iron skillet over high heat on the stove for the final sear.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just bought a Char-Broil after having another for 12 years. This one you can almost take completely apart to clean, it's amazing grease build up nil.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Maladat, if you have a pellet grill and are still cooking your steaks fast over high direct heat, you're doing it wrong.

Put your steaks on the pellet grill at 225ish until they've nearly reached the internal temp of your liking. This will require the use of a quality temperature probe. I take mine to 130, 5 degrees shy of 135 (medium rare).

Then take the steaks off, quickly run the temp up as high as your pellet grill will go (ideally over 500), and sear each side for 1-2 minutes. You'll end up with a perfectly done interior that's juicy and tender, a perfectly seared exterior, and a great smoked flavor.

Alternately, since you have two grills, you can preheat your gas grill as high as it will go, and immediately transfer the steaks from the pellet grill to the preheated propane grill for that final quick sear. This makes the process a lot faster and easier. I do it this way with my egg and my pellet grill.

My pellet grill is not a high-end one (the medium-sized Green Mountain Grills). Even if I turn it up to 500 and leave it there to preheat for 30 minutes, it doesn't really sear.

The gas grill I am currently using is a very fancy built-in one that came with our house. With all the burners cranked up it will hit about 900 degrees inside and it has an infrared searing burner that is like cooking over an active volcano.

My preferred method for steaks is to sous vide them at about 126 for several hours (getting the entire steak, all the way through, uniformly to 126 degrees) then do about 60 seconds per side over the infrared burner with the whole grill cranked up.

The rendering fat dripping into the searing burner generates a surprising amount of flame and smoke.

I get a really nice crust and grill marks but the heat only penetrates about 1/8" into the steak. After a brief rest, basically the entire thickness of the steak is at about 130, rare right up to the crispy edges.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
One word...Weber. Genesis if you can afford one. I have had my Weber Genesis for 25 years now, and it still looks and works like it did when new......

GT, you and I must have the same Weber Genesis. I've had mine for 25 years as well. Some parts were replaced over the years, but it is still going strong.

Dan

Posts: 1956 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Put your steaks on the pellet grill at 225ish until they've nearly reached the internal temp of your liking. This will require the use of a quality temperature probe. I take mine to 130, 5 degrees shy of 135 (medium rare).

Then take the steaks off, quickly run the temp up as high as your pellet grill will go (ideally over 500), and sear each side for 1-2 minutes. You'll end up with a perfectly done interior that's juicy and tender, a perfectly seared exterior, and a great smoked flavor.

Alternately, since you have two grills, you can preheat your gas grill as high as it will go, and immediately transfer the steaks from the pellet grill to the preheated propane grill for that final quick sear. This makes the process a lot faster and easier. I do it this way with my egg and my pellet grill.

My pellet grill is not a high-end one (the medium-sized Green Mountain Grills). Even if I turn it up to 500 and leave it there to preheat for 30 minutes, it doesn't really sear.

The gas grill I am currently using is a very fancy built-in one that came with our house. With all the burners cranked up it will hit about 900 degrees inside and it has an infrared searing burner that is like cooking over an active volcano.

My preferred method for steaks is to sous vide them at about 126 for several hours (getting the entire steak, all the way through, uniformly to 126 degrees) then do about 60 seconds per side over the infrared burner with the whole grill cranked up.

The rendering fat dripping into the searing burner generates a surprising amount of flame and smoke.

I get a really nice crust and grill marks but the heat only penetrates about 1/8" into the steak. After a brief rest, basically the entire thickness of the steak is at about 130, rare right up to the crispy edges.

Yum, but I'd do it a degree or two higher. Other than that, this is the way to do it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Char-broil infrared. They can run on natural gas or propane. Mine is 7 years old and going strong. I can't burn food even if I try.

Posts: 382 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a Weber Gensis. We also have a Aussie something charcoal grill, $45. Damn Aussie gets more work than the Weber.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ulsterman,

Posts: 7022 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything Weber is going to be good. I’d go Weber kettle. I’ve been grilling on gas for decades but a couple months ago I got a Weber kettle and have yet to grill something that didn’t come out fantastic. I use the chimney starter and set it off with a MAPP torch.

Posts: 478 | Location: Arizona | Registered: February 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Highly recommend a Pit Boss Pellet smoker grill. You can smoke, grill, sear, etc and its very easy and tastes wonderful. I picked mine up at Lowes for $449.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I have a Weber Genesis and an old Weber black kettle charcoal grill. If I have the time, I agree the charcoal grill gives better flavor. It also more effectively smokes the meat.

It has never been my experience that the charcoal can be brought up to cooking temp as fast as a gas grill, as a couple have suggested. I use a Weber chimney and a propane torch and it always takes 30 minutes. What am I doing wrong?

BTW, I was thinking of starting another “Stuff That Works” thread. I would put my Weber Genesis gas grill on my list.

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I have a Weber Genesis and an old Weber black kettle charcoal grill. If I have the time, I agree the charcoal grill gives better flavor. It also more effectively smokes the meat.

It has never been my experience that the charcoal can be brought up to cooking temp as fast as a gas grill, as a couple have suggested. I use a Weber chimney and a propane torch and it always takes 30 minutes. What am I doing wrong?

BTW, I was thinking of starting another “Stuff That Works” thread. I would put my Weber Genesis gas grill on my list.

Not sure why it takes 20 minutes here in VA. Are you at a high altitude in WY? That could be my only guess. The other thing is maybe you waiting too long to dump coals. They don't need to be completely ash covered, dump them when there's still some black on them, they'll finish turning gray while the grates are heating up to be cleaned.

Another useful thing to use that torch besides starting chimney is to add a little extra sear to your steaks. I just recently started searing from top and bottom when I sous vide steaks. Cuts searing time down and prevents brown/gray from creeping into my pink. This is especially helpful for irregular sizes of meat. Just did some tenderloin. The two pieces were not even close in shape and one was skinny and tall. I worked the edges and top with the torch and was able to get completely uniform sear, even in the nooks and crannies.

Also used it recently to melt provolone onto some smashed chicken breasts for chicken sandwiches. Placed my already cooked bacon on grill to warm for 45 seconds. Then placed bacon on chicken and covered both with provolone. 30 seconds with torch and cheese melted into bacon with a very slight browning on top, it was heaven. Fiancée said it looked so good like it was she skipped the buns and ate it right off the grill. Best damn chicken sandwich I've ever had.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post