SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    **Update on Page 3**Time to buy a grill? Recommendations?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

**Update on Page 3**Time to buy a grill? Recommendations? Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
So it’s time to buy a grill for my new house. Looking to stay in the $500 range. I’m leaning towards the Webber Spirit II stainless 3 burner grill. Is there anything else even worth considering? I’ve read some bad reviews on almost anything else in regards to rusting and reliability

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dusty78,

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Save up another month or two and get a Genesis.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Are you dead-set on propane?

Charcoal beats propane, IMO.

I'd suggest a Weber kettle instead. It's well below your price range, even if you go with the larger 26". Classic design. High quality. Beginner-friendly. It'll do just about anything that a home griller needs.

Another good option is one of the off-brand eggs, like a Vision B-Series. You can find them at places like Costco or Sam's Club in your price range. (Eggs are a little bit of a different animal than traditional charcoal grills, but experiment a little and read up a bit on them, and you'll soon be up to speed. The flip side is they're more versatile than a traditional charcoal grill, if you want to get fancy and do stuff like baking/smoking/etc.)

Either way, grab a nice charcoal grill, some quality lump charcoal, and a charcoal chimney and/or BBQGuru charcoal starter torch, and you're all set. You can easily do that for under $500.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

I'd suggest a Weber kettle instead. It's well below your price range, even if you go with the larger 26". Classic design. High quality. And charcoal beats propane, IMO.

Another good option is one of the off-brand eggs, like a Vision B-Series. You can find them at places like Costco or Sam's Club in your price range.

I'll add on to this, with a chimney starter charcoal takes pretty much the same time that gas does to heat up.

And yes, charcoal and wood taste way better than gas I use my weber smokey joe for most day to day cooking as it's perfect sized for two. If I am cooking for more people it's usually the gas grill for ease, but I do add wood to my Weber smoke box for flavor.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a Weber spirit for about 3 years and it’s been a great grill.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
Good choice. If you can find one of the "old" Weber Spirit grills (the E310, discontinued in 2017), they're going for about $450. I've had one for three years now and it's an excellent grill - great value for the money. Have not yet replaced any parts and there's no rust to be found. The differences between that and the Genesis (at the time, anyway) were mostly cosmetic. The old Spirit also has the enclosed cabinet on the bottom, where the Spirit II has gone to an open bottom. I don't think you'll do any better than the Spirit at your price point.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I’m reluctant to spend more just because it will likely get used once or twice a month tops. Plus I have already spent like $17k on stuff for the house this month.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:

Charcoal beats propane, IMO.

I'd suggest a Weber kettle instead. It's well below your price range, even if you go with the larger 26". Classic design. High quality. Beginner-friendly. It'll do just about anything that a home griller needs.

Another good option is one of the off-brand eggs, like a Vision B-Series. You can find them at places like Costco or Sam's Club in your price range. (Eggs are a little bit of a different animal than traditional charcoal grills, but experiment a little and read up a bit on them, and you'll soon be up to speed. The flip side is they're more versatile than a traditional charcoal grill, if you want to get fancy and do stuff like baking/smoking/etc.)

Either way, grab a nice charcoal grill, some quality lump charcoal, and a charcoal chimney and/or BBQGuru charcoal starter torch, and you're all set. You can easily do that for under $500.

I have natural gas hook up. I really don’t want the hassle of charcoal. I’m not really a cook so it will mostly be used on rare occasions I entertain. I just don’t want to buy something that’s going to rust out just sitting there.

posted Hide Post
The wife and I bought a Traeger smoker. We seldom use our Weber grill anymore. You might want to give a smoker a bit of consideration.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Family Man
posted Hide Post
I think you will be happy with a propane grill, but as other suggested, you may want to look at a charcoal grill as well.

I just bought a new grill, and I went with a Weber 26" kettle with a Slow 'n Sear XL. You will be able to cook anything on it, including big briskets and lots of ribs. If you don't need that space, a 22" kettle is very versatile as well.

If you aren't familiar with the Slow 'n Sear, I recommend you take a look if you want to investigate the charcoal route.

https://abcbarbecue.com/

You should also spend some time reading on the Amazing Ribs website. There is a lot of great information about the world of grills and grilling.

https://amazingribs.com/

Posts: 987 | Registered: December 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Check out the Weber Q3200, they are really good and have a unique design with a really solid, heavy cast iron grate that has a design that helps eliminate a lot of flare ups:

Q3200

It’s built mostly of cast aluminum so no rust issues!

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One word...Weber. Genesis if you can afford one. I have had my Weber Genesis for 25 years now, and it still looks and works like it did when new......o.k., maybe not looks new, but still quite handsome!! I use my grill 3-4/week the year around. I bought cheap stuff for years, and because I bought cheap ones, I bought a lot of them. Buy once...cry once!!

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm going to jump on the Weber Kettle bandwagon. This is the one I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-1...nements=p_89%3AWeber

With the propane charcoal starter, getting it ready is painless. You just need to pick up a chimney starter.

I grill, cook low and slow and smoke on it all the time. I smoked some salmon fillets last week and was able to maintain 160 degrees, no problem.

As has already been said, you can't beat charcoal for flavor. There are a ton of YouTube videos you can watch to get going. You can go from grilling burgers to slow smoking port butt for pulled port in short order.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'd suggest a Weber kettle instead. It's well below your price range, even if you go with the larger 26". Classic design. High quality. And charcoal beats propane, IMO.

Another good option is one of the off-brand eggs, like a Vision B-Series. You can find them at places like Costco or Sam's Club in your price range.

I'll add on to this, with a chimney starter charcoal takes pretty much the same time that gas does to heat up.

And yes, charcoal and wood taste way better than gas I use my weber smokey joe for most day to day cooking as it's perfect sized for two. If I am cooking for more people it's usually the gas grill for ease, but I do add wood to my Weber smoke box for flavor.

Absolutely.
I have friend who swear they need a gas grill because it gets ready so easy/fast. That may be true, but almost no meal has <20 minutes prep time, and by then my charcoal is very near ready to cook and will be one helluva lot better.
Frown

Doubly so if you’re entertaining. You owe it to your guests!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12443 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Weber Genesis is very well made, would recommend it over the Spirit.

Posts: 18090 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
I bought a spirit II Weber in May 2 burner.., at 449.00, I just didn’t want to spend a ton of money, for burgers and hot dogs. I have a smoker as well. It’s the natural gas version getting up to 575 to 600 degrees fairly quickly and I have been happy so far.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:

I’m reluctant to spend more just because it will likely get used once or twice a month tops. Plus I have already spent like $17k on stuff for the house this month.

I agree the Genesis is worth the extra $300.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9698 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
If you're gonna cook on gas, you may as well cook in the kitchen.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Chargriller with a side smoker I got from Depot years ago. Its done well by me and is capable of far more than I am. It easily handles cooking for 10 and cost about $120 if I remember properly. I either do charcoal outside or stove/oven for steaks depending on the weather.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post