SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Arby's Wagyu Beef Burger
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arby's Wagyu Beef Burger Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
All they see is the word Wagyu and think there are eating in luxury when it's likely cow meat that can trace genealogy to a Japanese heard. It's the same as eating shrimp at a buffet.

And then there are those of us who eat American Wagnu 4 times a month or so and can tell the taste when we are eating.

It sounds like an awful lot of people really can't tell the difference, kind of the way it is with a lot of foods and beverages.

Reminds me of a day years ago when I had some people over and grilled AJ's tenderloins. AJs arguably has some of the best tasting, most tender tenderloins in the U.S.

The people I had over said they couldn't taste the difference between AJs and a Safeway strip.

Obviously their taste buds are dead.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
All they see is the word Wagyu and think there are eating in luxury when it's likely cow meat that can trace genealogy to a Japanese heard. It's the same as eating shrimp at a buffet.

And then there are those of us who eat American Wagnu 4 times a month or so and can tell the taste when we are eating.

It sounds like an awful lot of people really can't tell the difference, kind of the way it is with a lot of foods and beverages.

In blind taste testing I'm sure that most people would struggle.

Posts: 4087 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm a big fan of Wagyu beef,

Since you're a fan of Wagyu beef and I've never had Wagyu beef, how does Arby's compare with the real thing?

I can't justify spending for Wagyu beef at least for now. I wouldn't like ordering it from a restaurant as I'm skeptical that I'll get actual Wagyu beef. I have come up to getting ribeye cap which is something I learned from this forum and was spot on in terms of flavor and tenderness.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19713 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
I'm a big fan of Wagyu beef,

Since you're a fan of Wagyu beef and I've never had Wagyu beef, how does Arby's compare with the real thing?

I can't justify spending for Wagyu beef at least for now. I wouldn't like ordering it from a restaurant as I'm skeptical that I'll get actual Wagyu beef. I have come up to getting ribeye cap which is something I learned from this forum and was spot on in terms of flavor and tenderness.

Rib eye cap is my absolute favorite cut and you may have heard me mention it here. Actually Wild Fork Foods has a decent prime grade rib eye cap that is considerably cheaper than a Wagyu cut.
Never have seen it in a grocery store only online specialty stores. This is a American Wagyu one from Snake River Farms I did awhile ago. In the smoker until it reached around 125 and then seared on the open flame.

It would be my last meal request.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
For a cap I rather just have prime than wagyu, it already has enough fat in it. Costco used to sell the prime cap steaks, but they stopped. Local butcher wanted over $100 for two steaks. I just made my own instead.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I run by Arbys every once and a while and get their Ruben..... tried their roast beef once with what they call cheese .... the runny 'melted' cheese never got hard. It is what I call cheese whiz....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That rib eye cap on the grill looks 25 times better than anything at Arby’s….

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I can officially chime in now because guess what I had for lunch!

I’ll start it by saying I have had Waygu beef once. Now I can’t tell you if it was true Waygu, American Waygu, Cambodian Waygu, Waygu from Mars, or created in a lab or whatever was debated earlier.
All I can tell you is when I had it it was while tailgating before a football game. I will also say that these particular people likely spend more money entertaining folks each Saturday before home football games than I would spend all together entertaining in probably 5 years including 3 kids birthday parties each year.
So I am going to conclude this is likely some of the best stuff one can come by.

But anyway, I got the simple burger with lettuce, tomato, pickle, and cheese. Did not want the special sauce or onion flavors to be too heavy.
1st and foremost I would have preferred it to be a little bit more rare on the outside and a more consistent cook.
As for the flavor I thought it had a really strong but good BEEF flavor. It was not a seasoned patty flavor. It just tasted like some really flavorful beef considering the meal was $10.59 after tax.

My favorite burger is from Ted’s Montana Grill but it is also Bison meat and not fast food. That being said my favorite fast food burgers are as follow:

In N Out (which we have none close)
Five Guys.
I would tie the Arby’s with Five Guys possibly. Five Guys costs me $7.59 with Fries and a drink. I don’t put Arby’s $3.00 better.
I am also a big fan of Arby’s Roast Beef so I’ll likely continue to mostly get the roast beef.
I may give the other location a try to see if it is cooked differently.

All in all enjoyable for a fast food burger.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25451 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My take is that if one really wants to savor subtle differences in various beef varieties, the best way to do it would not be on a burger. Most folks pile so much other junk on their burgers that I'm surprised they can even taste the beef. Me, my burgers only have iceberg lettuce and mustard. No tomato, no cheese, no "special sauce", no onion, no pickles, no mushrooms, no bacon--just meat, lettuce, mustard, and bread. (And my meat is not red inside.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Had one yesterday on the way home from the lake... not bad. About par for a fast food burger.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
For a cap I rather just have prime than wagyu, it already has enough fat in it. Costco used to sell the prime cap steaks, but they stopped. Local butcher wanted over $100 for two steaks. I just made my own instead.

That right there is very nicely done. I doubt my knife skills are yours but I'm going to give it a shot.

Posts: 936 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one, really enjoyed it and thought it was better than most fast food burgers.

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Arby's almost across the street from McD's.

It HAS to be better than McRib.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15910 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Do they put that disgusting cheese sauce on it?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18027 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

[IMG][/IMG]

That right there is very nicely done. I doubt my knife skills are yours but I'm going to give it a shot.

Did you end up cutting one/couple for yourself? Best steak in the planet!

Back on topic, I will not be giving them a second shot. I get a mcrib once an offering period maybe every other one just because it's almost traditional or part of Americana.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did Jesse....bought a whole rib loin from Costco, about 15 pounds, whacked in in half and went to work on it for steaks. Not as pretty as yours but those cap steaks have the most intense beef flavor of any beef muscle there is IMO.

Posts: 936 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post