SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Arby's Wagyu Beef Burger
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arby's Wagyu Beef Burger Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Remember when they had the "fixen's bar", where you could add tomato, dill pickle, onion, etc. to your burger.

Sometimes, you would notice some cheap bastard brought his packed sandwich from home and ordered a coke and then helped himself to the "fixen's bar".

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
This is pure Japanese A5 Wagyu rib eye steak. The "A5" means the animal had a high yield of meat and the highest grade of marbling.

This is American Wagyu rib eye steak.

The difference is remarkable. I've had both. I could never sit and eat an entire Japanese A5 too rich and a very soft texture. Best served cut in bite size and let everyone sample a few imo. The American Wagyu is much more to my liking and I have had all sorts of cuts. Briskets, steaks, sausage etc. If you like hot dogs buy a pack of American Wagyu hot dogs from Snake River Farms and then I dare ya to try to go back to anything else.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

All this talk of food and beef and burger and not a single pic. Fail!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Yes, challenge accepted...I'll give it a try. A picture will do it every time.

Posts: 1976 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
the one issue I think Arby's can't get around even accepting that the meat on this burger is of a better quality is they are not going to be able to cook it like any good burger should be cooked... just to medium rare.

Had a lady at a Fundruckers years ago ask me how I wanted my burger cooked? I answered medium rare and she said I could only have it medium or well. I then looked at her and said, "well then why did you ask me how I wanted it."

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just figured it out,
The hamburger identifies as Wagyu!
Problem solved progressively.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2895 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
The wife and I tried this burger last night. It was fair. The meat was good, but could have been better if it was grilled or fried. It didn’t have any flavor imparted to the meat from the cooking method. I tried it, it was ok, I wouldn’t get it again. Arby’s has too many other good things on the menu and there are way too many better burgers in the market.

Chris

Posts: 1697 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
the one issue I think Arby's can't get around even accepting that the meat on this burger is of a better quality is they are not going to be able to cook it like any good burger should be cooked... just to medium rare. <snip>

Medium rare? Strictly personal preference.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
All this talk of food and beef and burger and not a single pic. Fail!

My contribution. I made this smash burger with 100% Wagyu beef from New Zealand. I always use German-baked pumpernickel for my “buns”.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmparrish:

The meat was good, but could have been better if it was grilled or fried.
¿How was it cooked?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

¿How was it cooked?

That’s an excellent question. I don’t know. It definitely wasn’t grilled and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t fried. At least not in house. I’ve heard rumors that it’s sous vide and then maybe deep fried? I’m not sure.

Posts: 1697 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

¿How was it cooked?
That’s an excellent question. I don’t know. It definitely wasn’t grilled and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t fried. At least not in house. I’ve heard rumors that it’s sous vide and then maybe deep fried? I’m not sure.
Hmmm . . . I think that their Reubens are grilled, so I would have guessed that they'd use the same grill for the burgers. Next time I go into an Arby's I'll crane my neck and see if I can get a look at the burger prep.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

¿How was it cooked?
Hmmm . . . I think that their Reubens are grilled, so I would have guessed that they'd use the same grill for the burgers. Next time I go into an Arby's I'll crane my neck and see if I can get a look at the burger prep.

It's cooked “Sous Vide style"

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Like a lot of stuff at fast food, it’s probably just a reheat.

Arby’s never really did the hamburger thing, so they likely don’t have the infrastructure

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about this thread while walking the dog and remembered something from long ago.

When fast food places started, around the middle '50s, my Dad took my brother and me to one and bought a burger. He ate one bite of his and threw it away.

A while later, maybe a week or two, he went to a butcher shop (these are getting hard to find) and he bought some sirloin steaks, then he told the butcher to grind them up into hamburger with 20% suet mixed in.

He then went home, shaped them into hamburger patties and fried them in a cast iron skillet in bacon grease and toasted the buns in the same grease. Served with lettuce, pickle and tomato plus mustard.

It didn't taste like the hamburgers you get when you use ground beef at all and to this day I still use ground sirloin for a lot of the hamburgers I cook. Maybe that's why I like the American Wagyu burgers as they taste very similar to ground sirloin with 20% suet added.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Tried it today for lunch. It gets a C from me. Very average.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm just kinda curious. America's Roast Beef, Yes Sir.

How are they positioning the burger? Are they saying a burger is better than a roast beef sandwich? Why don't they use 'wagyu' for their roast beef sandwiches (or are they already - sorry, I haven't been to an Arby's in decades). Seems like, if I wanted to go to Arby's, I would want to go because of their roast beef sandwiches.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Had the one I ate today been prepared like the one pictured on the menu board, I’m sure it would have been pretty good. Mine was well done. The one on the menu board was just about how I prepare my own burgers; lots of pink.

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Meh. Americans, for the most part, can't really expect to find gourmetesque burgers at a fast food place. All they see is the word Wagyu and think there are eating in luxury when it's likely cow meat that can trace genealogy to a Japanese heard. It's the same as eating shrimp at a buffet.

Remember when Angus was the word of the day in burgers? Same with this Wagyu burger. It's a fad that will pass.

Posts: 4086 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I had the Bacon Ranch version today for lunch. They were out of pickles and american cheese so I substituted smoked gouda for the cheese.

As I was eating they announced to the people in the line they were out of roast beef in the middle of the lunch hour. One old guy left and he let everyone know he was unhappy about it. How could they be out of what they are primarily known for 2 hours after opening for the day?

The burger was okay. Better then most fast food burgers. However it's not good enough to go out of my way to eat there and it's only for a limited time anyway.

Posts: 3391 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post