SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Arby's Wagyu Beef Burger
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arby's Wagyu Beef Burger Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Basically, the bottom line is stop calling it Wagyu beef. Cause it ain't.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last weekend I saw two wagyu steaks at Costco for $200. I'm thinking that's probably not what's in Arby's burger.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3546 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Dang it, now I got to try one.... and I understand the meat is not going to be anything close to a $100 steak.... but then I have no desire to eat a $100 steak... I suspect it would be very good but I'm having a hard time believing it would be that good. I know Ruth Chris's has steaks on their menu for over a hundred bucks but even if somebody paid for it I think I'd probably be disappointed

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The spokesperson for Arbys drives me nuts and has done so for years. I would rather have a peanut butter sandwich.

Posts: 80 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: May 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Even if the wagyu beef burger was offered "FREE" I would decline and order and pay for a "Rueben" sandwich. ................ drill sgt.

Posts: 2024 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Probably like that "Kona" labeled coffee at Costco that has like 2% Kona beans in the bag...

But I'll try the Arby's burger...I like a lot of their other stuff.

Have loved Arby's ever since my fam took me as a child to the one on Federal Highway in Pompano Beach FL that had the giant cowboy hat sign.

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I do know that what I had was an outstanding burger…

I had no idea these were out there, but I’m going to try one. So thank you for sharing your experience. It’s a $6-$8 burger, I promise not to analyze the snot out of it. Wink

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
For those who scoff, you haven't tried it or perhaps your local Arby's did it wrong, who knows. I do know that what I had was an outstanding burger, just about the same as the burgers that Drysdale's II used to serve before they went out of business.

Yes obviously I'm eating American Wagyu, and there is such a thing.

The stuff I buy comes from SRF (Snake River Farms) and here's what they say about Wagyu.

https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/kobe-vs-wagyu

WHAT IS WAGYU?
Wagyu is a Japanese cattle breed that produces intensely marbled beef. Bona fide Wagyu is rare and carefully guarded. The breed is unique in that it continues to add intramuscular fat as the cattle grows.

When crossbred with other non-Wagyu cattle breeds, it yields American Wagyu which features rich marbling and the traditional beef flavor preferred by American palates.

SNAKE RIVER FARMS STORY
We maintain purebred Wagyu cow and bull herds from renowned Japanese bloodlines.

These imported cattle are the foundation of our Snake River Farms program.

We have been improving our herd since 1989.

WHAT IS AMERICAN WAGYU BEEF?
These purebred Wagyu are crossed with traditional beef cattle breeds to create American Wagyu Beef.

The result is a perfect blend of famous Wagyu buttery marbling and the robust beef flavor that American beef is known for.

It is the best of both worlds.

"It has the richness of Japanese beef with lots of marbling, but the flavor is more akin to what we're used to in America. You can give me a pound of the best Wagyu from Japan, or a pound of this, and I'll choose Snake River Farms every time."

- Chef Wolfgang Puck

And no, I'm not affiliated with SRF in any way. I don't even own stock in them, I just like their product.

Thanks for your post Flash. It’s informative and objective.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9002 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
We tried it a couple days ago. Did not like it. Very ordinary at best. Ours were almost burnt on the outside and raw in the center. Taste was rather bland. We had the bacon ranch version. Even the bacon was subpar. Actually we both threw almost half of ours away rather than eat them. I will not be trying another one.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
If you ask me, these places all need to stay in their lane and just do what they’re known best for.

People aren’t going to Arby’s for burgers just as they didn’t go to McDonalds for pizza which they failed miserably at.

The Wawa convenience store chain in this area makes a somewhat decent hoagie for the money but now they’re trying to do pasta and burgers. Stop…just stop! Roll Eyes

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The Wawa convenience store chain in this area makes a somewhat decent hoagie for the money but now they’re trying to do pasta and burgers. Stop…just stop! Roll Eyes

I actually don't like the hoagie sandwiches at Wawa. I go there most nights on the way to work. I usually get a Stacked sandwich or a beef steak mac and cheese bowl. I love their milkshakes though. Just can't have one of those everyday.

Will have to try one of the Arby's burgers when I find my self near a franchise. I'm sure it's only for a limited time though.

Posts: 3391 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was at Arby's the other day and saw Wagyu burger on menu. Underneath in small letters it said cooked medium well done. Like my burgers not cooked so far but ordered one to try it. It was well done and somewhat dry. At best an average burger. Will not order again.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2895 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I'm not sure what wagyu made in the US is. It it just the breed of cow but raised like any other cattle?

Wagyu in Japan has different levels. And different regions of fame. Wagyu really just means "Japanese beef" and so it's not really clear what wagyu from OR (for example) really means.

But agree with Balze, wagyu in Japan is not the same as the "wagyu" raised and sold here with the exception of beef sold here that was imported from real wagyu source from Japan.

Also, I'm wondering if the term wagyu is getting diluted and corrupted to just mean beef from Japan; not all beef in Japan is really wagyu. A lot of beef in Japan is just common beef as we would buy here.

I'm on a budget but not necessarily poor. I've had Japanese wagyu only twice in my life using personal funds. I've had American "wagyu" a handful of times with personal funds - still expensive (at least ribeye / NY cuts) at $40-50/pound but that's still less than half the price of real Japanese wagyu.

Makes me wonder what cut Arby's is using, even if it's American "wagyu" -[b[ what's the cheapest cut you could use for burgers and how much would that be per pound[/b]?

speaking as someone that was a butcher for 19 yrs,

there is no cut, at least at grocery store level, that was used for ground anything, except one

it was all trim,

so your chuck trim went into ground chuck
round (tip, eye, top, bottom etc) went into ground round, and anything else including the above went into ground beef,

as far as lean content
ground beef was the most fat
Chuck, next
Round, next
Sirlion next, moving up the chart as far as % lean

to clarify, back in the day, when meat was cut in stores, there was a lot of trim,
chucks, for example, were bone in, (and included the chuck shoulder)
or boneless (packaged as Shoulders, or Chuck Rolls,)

the rolls were 2 to 4 in a box, and had a lot of excess meat attached that was made into stew, or ground, mostly ground,

ditto Round meats,

back in the 90's packing companies found they could make more money by trimming the primals up to 'block ready' as in less if any trim at store level, and grind the excess themselves into a course or fine gring chub that was processed at store level

benefit was the store took less liability for contamination, and it was easier to process,

less trim means less time for a butcher (high payroll) and if burger was needed a clerk (less payroll) could run 10# chubs thru the grinder for the case

exceptions were Shanks,, that is the one cut that was ordered in , peeled off the bone, and ground for ground beef,

and they have plenty of grissle

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10435 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Okay, let's go with that logic.

That being the case, since most of the food Mexican restaurants serve here in the States isn't like what's served in Mexico, we have to stop calling it Mexican food.

The same is true of Italian food here Chinese food here and Japanese food here. And yes, I've had authentic Chinese, Japanese, Italian and Mexican food I know what we get here isn't authentic.

From there, we can nitpick pizza and philly cheesesteak and so on ad infinitum.

There are others, but that's enough for now.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Wagyu inspired*

We thought about Wagyu when making this burger. Lol.

Posts: 2019 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'm glad the OP enjoyed the burger, and I like a fast-food burger as much as the next guy.

All I meant was that is what it is - a fast food burger. This ain't Lutece.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've had 5 guys, In-N-Out, Mcdonalds, Wendys, Smashburger, Habit Burger, Burger King essentially all of the big name burgers and I like this one better.

Been thinking about it, though, and a thought came to me. Most people haven't eaten Japanese Wagyu or American Wagyu (which is a good way to differentiate the two) and it doesn't taste like your normal beef, whether it be tenderloin, strips or Rib eye. It has a different texture and a different flavor.

I eat it often and so I know and like the flavor. It's possible others taste it and it just doesn't taste like hamburger and so they don't like it. People resist change.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
It sounds pretty good and worth trying--except for the American "cheese".

Posts: 18090 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I love Arby's.

Thank you for the heads-up, I'm gonna cram one of these in my cram-hole tomorrow!

Posts: 5156 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
All this talk of food and beef and burger and not a single pic. Fail!

Q

Posts: 26493 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post