SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ‘Smoking Age’ Raised to 21 Federally
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘Smoking Age’ Raised to 21 Federally Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen how the Feds intend to enforce this. Generally they can't enforce this types of rules on the states directly (the whole 10th Amendment thing.) What they generally do it tie some sort of federal funding to compliance. If a state doesn't comply, they don't get funding. I haven't seen that in any of the reporting for this rule.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, heck, let's have the freedoms to do a whole bunch of dip shit things.

Let's buy and use opioids any time we want. Maybe crack, too. Anyone should have the freedom to do that. Regardless of whether or not it's dipshit.

Let's drive our turbo-whatevers at 80 mph over the speed limit. Drag racing in school zones, too. 'cuz it infringes on my freedom to press the gas pedal.

Actually, my car isn't that fast. I should be able to steal my neighbor's Ferrari without consequences. He has two of them, and won't miss one.

Smoking is a dip shit activity. Get over it.

Posts: 7996 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Now your talking. Legalize everything.

The thrill of going three times the speed limit and briefly losing control but saving it at the last second is both horrifying and euphoric at the same time. It’s the most alive you will ever feel.

If overpopulation ever becomes an issue we might have consider being less of a nanny state and letting people be free to make spectacular mistakes and/or good decisions and then living with the consequences.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nobody is arguing that, fritz.

This has nothing to do with fast cars or thieves, that's a red herring and I'm not going to respond to it.

It comes down to this; freedom means being free, all the time, even if that means free to do things we don't like, don't agree with, don't condone, etc. Even if we think it's dip shit behavior. Wink

Posts: 10806 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Im just flabherghasted that people START smoking.

Hey, do you want to spend $6 to $18 per day on a terrible habit that smells nasty, is socially unaceptable, is terrible for your health? Fuck yeah,sign me up!

Its like the crack dealer coming around. Want to suck dick for $5 in an alley so you can get your next fix? Sign me up!!

Like how stupid do you have to be? It makes no damn sense...

I know, a fine $40 Opus X and a dram or two of Lagavulin 16 is a terrible waste of a fine evening. Frown

Posts: 23192 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
FOR THOSE WHO CANNOT BOTHER TO READ THE OP ARTICLE: This is about raising the age to PURCHASE tobacco products to 21. I referred to it as the "smoking age" because that is generally how this is referred to in the media and popular conversation.

quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Let's buy and use opioids any time we want. Maybe crack, too. Anyone should have the freedom to do that. Regardless of whether or not it's dipshit.

Let's drive our turbo-whatevers at 80 mph over the speed limit. Drag racing in school zones, too. 'cuz it infringes on my freedom to press the gas pedal.

Actually, my car isn't that fast. I should be able to steal my neighbor's Ferrari without consequences. He has two of them, and won't miss one.

Your logic is inconsistent. Somebody putting tobacco into their body only affects them directly. Speeding can easily affect others. I am completely for legalization of all drugs. There are already laws to address the crimes that abusers tend to commit. The law should be to protect other free folk from your actions. If you want to kill yourself, have at it.

As far as the enforcement question, I don't see this being enforced any differently that the current age limit (typically 18) that many states have for the purchase of tobacco products.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Nothing sacred about smoking. It sucks.

Exactly. I suggest a minimum age of 91 for purchasing, possessing, and/or using tobacco products.

So how about we suggest a minimum age of 91 for purchasing, possessing, and/or using ALCOHOL????

Where do you draw the line with taking away peoples liberties????? Your statement is ridiculous.

My dad died at 56 years old and the main contributor to his death was being an alcoholic (got type II diabetes, got an infection from a cut, body couldn't fight it off from liver degradation and diabetes, spread throughout his blood stream and shut down all of his organs). But I'm not one to add more legislation.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is, so is drinking, so is eating fast food, so are many other things. This is America and what makes America great (being able to do the things you want to do AND being able to afford to do what you want to do), get over it, or GTFO.

There is a HUGE difference between what someone does to themselves and doing an activity that negatively effects another innocent person. IE drunk driving, stealing your neighbors Ferrari.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What they generally do it tie some sort of federal funding to compliance. If a state doesn't comply, they don't get funding. I haven't seen that in any of the reporting for this rule.

^^^^^^^^^^
They made Louisiana raise the drinking age to 21 by threatening to hold back Federal Highway money. The government will find a way. Holding back funds is their usual MO.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
They made Louisiana raise the drinking age to 21 by threatening to hold back Federal Highway money. The government will find a way. Holding back funds is their usual MO.

Yep. I remember. Same in Texas.
We celebrated at a bar the night we became illegal. Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24576 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
So how about we suggest a minimum age of 91 for purchasing, possessing, and/or using ALCOHOL????

Wouldn't be too tough for me to deal with. I have only one or two drinks per month, generally at social events -- where non-drinkers often receive that look.

I never drank much more than that even in college. There were huge physical demands of being on a high-level ski team. Our coaches showed us athletes via physical output charts how alcohol use decreased our own performance. They could pretty much determine if we had one, two, or more drinks in a given week -- without blood tests. They charted us on all sorts of stuff. It was easier to determine with quantitative work, such as pushing iron and running during dry-land training in the fall. But they still knew in the middle of winter, when we were running gates. Long distance bicycling and mountain climbing later in life further showed that alcohol inhibited my physical performance.

So yeah, I could deal with no alcohol. Not a big deal.

Posts: 7996 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

But that would be YOUR choice. Wink

You know... they tried it your way in the 1920s.
It was called prohibition. It didn't stop anyone from drinking but it all became criminal and a lot of people died due to the violence associated with criminal activity.

Reminds me of this:
“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It's not good at much else.”
― Tom Clancy

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24576 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wouldn't be too tough for me to deal with. I have only one or two drinks per month, generally at social events -- where non-drinkers often receive that look.

I never drank much more than that even in college. There were huge physical demands of being on a high-level ski team. Our coaches showed us athletes via physical output charts how alcohol use decreased our own performance. They could pretty much determine if we had one, two, or more drinks in a given week -- without blood tests. They charted us on all sorts of stuff. It was easier to determine with quantitative work, such as pushing iron and running during dry-land training in the fall. But they still knew in the middle of winter, when we were running gates. Long distance bicycling and mountain climbing later in life further showed that alcohol inhibited my physical performance.

Lots of "I" in there. This isn't just about you. The debate is a bit broader than that.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Lots of "I" in there. This isn't just about you. The debate is a bit broader than that.

No problem. That's true.
"I" have no issues with restricting smoking. It's a foul habit. That's my view and it won't change.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

No problem. That's true.
"I" have no issues with restricting smoking anything. It's a foul habit. That's my view and it won't change.

FIFY

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, from one of the few sane members of Congress...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post