SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ‘Smoking Age’ Raised to 21 Federally
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘Smoking Age’ Raised to 21 Federally Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/20...g-bill-bn/index.html

I don’t think this does anything other than curb the freedoms of ADULTS. If someone over 18 wants to put that stuff into their body, that is their business.

BTW, I don’t and never have used tobacco. I think it is a nasty habit.

Question:
Is this a move you support?

Choices:
Yes
No
It’s not that simple; see my reply

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
If you’re an adult at 18 then you are an adult. If you aren’t mature enough to drink and smoke at age 18 then you aren’t mature enough to join the military or vote.

I don’t approve of smoking but I don’t like this at all.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15276 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Yes reluctantly. This is an ends justify the means type of situation. If it keeps people from making a horrible lifelong, and eventually possibly life ending decision. I'm for it. I'm a smoker, I fucking hate it. I'm too weak to quit. I'm hoping 2020 brings me better luck in this effort.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
How many 18-20 year olds (or younger) have trouble getting ahold of booze? This will fix nothing.

Your argument almost sounds like the “if we just save one child” anti-gun line.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skins, if you don't mind me asking, when did you start smoking?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8522 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I think it's a nasty habit and the cigarette companies are disgusting, but if you can war fight, buy a house, and generally legally be on your own, why not smoke?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15789 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You are either an adult or you aren't.

Period.

Fight, Vote, Smoke, Drink, Do hard time.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
100% against this kind of federal intrusion.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30891 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
It is a nasty and dangerous habit but this is like any other nanny state type action and it is wrong headed. Free people must be free to make good and bad choices.

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 673 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Skins, if you don't mind me asking, when did you start smoking?

I get the point, it was before I was eighteen, but also before they made it harder for kids to get cigarettes.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Of course I support higher medical and health insurance rates for smokers and other high risk health categories.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Bad idea. Just study history. This type of prohibition does not work. I smoked for 13 years, at least a pack a day. I'm pretty certain that smoking killed my father. IMO, smoking is a terrible and useless habit. Happy I was able to quit. It's been 18 years. Having said that I'm not into this type of "legislating" as it is against free will and more than likely will not discourage smoking. We can educate people but ultimately it is their choice. There are however certain smoking laws that I am in favor of such as making it illegal to smoke with a child in the car, smoking in public areas, etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5935 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Absolutely NOT.
The age or the transition to adult should be one age for EVERYTHING, then.
If so I am all for it.
I think the age should actually be 19 for everything > Fire Arms (purchase), Military Service, Contracts, Alcohol, Smoking, Voting... you name it.
I was fortunate that alcohol was legal when I was high school at 18. Cool

Posts: 23192 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Is smoking still as popular in the Military as it was in the 60's and 70's?

If so, there will be a lot of disappointed soldiers, sailors and airmen.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11089 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Is smoking still as popular in the Military as it was in the 60's and 70's?

If so, there will be a lot of disappointed soldiers, sailors and airmen.

For some reason, I thought there was an exemption for military members.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30891 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
I hate cigarettes. I started when I was around 15 years old. The legal age at that time in VA was 16 to purchase. I quit on and off, for good a few years ago.

That said, I am not sure raising the age limit to purchase will change much.

I have noticed over the past 10 years there seems to be a LOT fewer smokers......

I think vaping took off and seems to be a lot more popular, at least in my area.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
100% against this kind of federal intrusion.
Agree, but take it a step further by taking the taxpayers off the hook financially (e.g. Medicare/Medicaid) for smoking diseases.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23646 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would guess that the vast majority of smokers started smoking way before they were of the legal age so this really won't do anything. Won't really hurt anything either I just hate 99% of more government.

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I used to think 90% of the Federal workforce needed to be fired, handed a pink slip and two weeks pay in lieu of notice and told to go get a job doing something productive. As the bloat became worse I figured the number was probably closer to 95%. Stupidity like this makes me think 97-99% may be closer to the mark.

I really don’t care for cigarette smoke and I don’t like being around smokers. My dad died of lung cancer at 45 when in third grade. I am very much not a fan of cigarettes, companies making them people smoking them, etc, but I am *MUCH* less a fan of an intrusive government sticking their damned nose in what people do or don’t do.

Posts: 7071 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I would guess that the vast majority of smokers started smoking way before they were of the legal age so this really won't do anything. Won't really hurt anything either I just hate 99% of more government.

I can't remember the last time I saw a teenager smoking a cigarette. Maybe vaping, but no smokes....

Seems like just another law to combat a declining problem.....

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post