SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ‘Smoking Age’ Raised to 21 Federally
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘Smoking Age’ Raised to 21 Federally Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If the intent is for only adults to be able to smoke legally, they need to raise the age to somewhere north of 27.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109043 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Is smoking still as popular in the Military as it was in the 60's and 70's?

If so, there will be a lot of disappointed soldiers, sailors and airmen.
For a long time the military actually encouraged smoking (in WWII the rations packages from the US contained small packs of cigarettes). It was believed (and may be true) that the nicotine kept the soldiers more alert.

Both my parents smoked and I grew up hating the habit. I have never tried even one cigarette, and try very hard not to be in the presence (at least downwind) of anyone smoking. I also hate that many smokers are terrible litterers. However, all that being true I still am not in favor of the government making this type of law. I agree that being "adult" (at age 18 most places) should allow a person to make adult decisions--one of which is whether or not to smoke.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
If you aren’t mature enough to drink and smoke at age 18 then you aren’t mature enough to join the military or vote.

This is a common phrase.
I look at it a bit differently.

I am good with being 21 to smoke or drink, however those within the military on base should be exempt.
Those having joined the military should have the right to vote regardless of age. (I joined at 17).
I have an 18 year old college student which gives me a bit of perspective there as well.

The right to vote should be raised to 21 to avoid undue influence by higher learning institutions.

I would support this:
21 for smoking, vaping, drinking & voting with an exception for those in the military on base.
Military ID card gives you right to vote regardless of age.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5294 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
What about weed?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4634 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
What about weed?
72 with no military exemption unless medically prescribed.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5294 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Changing the law from 18 to 21 to legally smoke tobacco is absurd!

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about weed?

^^^^^^^^^
I believe it is 21 in states that allow recreational weed. I don't think it has been cleared yet for postal workers.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
If you’re an adult at 18 then you are an adult. If you aren’t mature enough to drink and smoke at age 18 then you aren’t mature enough to join the military or vote.

I don’t approve of smoking but I don’t like this at all.

Pale Horse said it all with his post.

It's shit like this that causes us to refer to the government as "The Nanny State."

Of all the enemies that the American citizen faces, the Democrat Party is the very worst.

Posts: 10830 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
What about weed?

Weed can go in its own thread. Let’s stick to the OP, please.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I had been smoking for 5 years and was a chain smoker by the time I was 21. I quit smoking the day my now 38 year old son was born. I am still living with permanent damage caused by smoking, as are all former smokers. MRI's do not lie.

I don't know whether this law will have an effect on teen smoking. I do know that nearly half a million people die in the U.S every year from smoking related disease. The military services have aggressive anti-smoking policies and many private and public entities will not hire a smoker due to the liability to their health insurance programs and sick leave use. I can tell you that it is rare to see active duty military personnel smoking nowadays as compared to the Vietnam era.

I also know that traffic fatalities in the age slot rose beginning in the 70's when states lowered the drinking age from 21 to 18, and dropped off again when the drinking age was raised back to 21. The minimum age for Alcohol use by military personnel depends upon the location of the base. It is 21, unless the local laws allow drinking at age 18.

The law bans the sale of smoking products to persons under 21, thus targets the purveyors of the products. I really don't know how much the new law will do, but I don't blame congress for trying to do something to diminish use of this harmful product by our young people.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4371 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Since cigarettes are so harmful and pointless I don't care if they make the age 110 to purchase them. Tobacco can go extinct for all I care.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Skins, if you don't mind me asking, when did you start smoking?

I get the point, it was before I was eighteen, but also before they made it harder for kids to get cigarettes.

Same here (and I feel your pain, quitting is tough!)

A “legal age” didn’t stop me from drinking before I was 21, nor did it stop me from smoking before 18. Weed was illegal back then too, but I and a lot of others smoked it as well.

My question is, how much money was spent on raising the age to 21? Couldn’t that money be better spent on education and the prevention of kids (young adults) smoking?

Let’s face it, kids/ young adults are still going to smoke. Raising the age to 21 aint stopping it. I’d have a hard time telling some 18, 19, 20 year old in the military, “thanks for your service, here’s a ticket because you sparked up a Marlboro.”

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8522 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We need to pick an age of majority and stick with it across the board. If that age is 18 fine. If it’s 21 or 25 fine but we need to quit with the half measure shit that trusts people to drive at 16 and vote or get sent to a foreign land to die at 18 but won’t let them smoke or drink until 21 and lets them hang out on mom and dads insurance even later. This mixed message doesn’t do young folks any favors and leaves many in a certain subset of the population unable to function as they should when the extended training wheels come off.

Posts: 4322 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:

The law bans the sale of smoking products to persons under 21, thus targets the purveyors of the products. I really don't know how much the new law will do, but I don't blame congress for trying to do something to diminish use of this harmful product by our young people.

So, do it for the children, eh?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30891 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
If it stops one smoker, that is one less likely taxpayer health care burden

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6401 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
^^^ what if I apply that same logic to guns?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Sure. I love it. As long as we raise the age to vote and serve in the military to 21 as well. Fucking hypocritical bullshit.

Let's send kids to fight and die before they're allowed to drink and smoke.

Posts: 10213 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
^^^ what if I apply that same logic to guns?

Salt?
Liquor?

"Oh dear Nanny state, please protect us from ourselves! We're to feeble minded to make our own decisions."

Of all the enemies that the American citizen faces, the Democrat Party is the very worst.

Posts: 10830 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:

So, do it for the children, eh?

Please don't miss the point that it is an inherently dangerous and poisonous substance.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4371 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
Sure. I love it. As long as we raise the age to vote and serve in the military to 21 as well. Fucking hypocritical bullshit.

Let's send kids to fight and die before they're allowed to drink and smoke.
You posted what I was thinking. Government overreach once again...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post