SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ‘Smoking Age’ Raised to 21 Federally
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘Smoking Age’ Raised to 21 Federally Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
How is this a federal government issue?
If the States want to do it, have at it.

There already have been several states that have individually passed legislation to raise the tobacco-buying age to 21.

As of December, 19 states have raised the minimum age to buy tobacco products to 21, according to the nonprofit Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids: Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia and Washington.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24576 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder whether Walmart will change their signs to anyone looking younger than 65, rather than the current 40. It is always funny to see a person who looks well over 40 to get carded for smokes. Surprisingly, I have seen older women get angry about being carded for cigarettes.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Let’s face it, kids/ young adults are still going to smoke. Raising the age to 21 aint stopping it. I’d have a hard time telling some 18, 19, 20 year old in the military, “thanks for your service, here’s a ticket because you sparked up a Marlboro.”
Is the law about smoking, or buying tobacco? If the latter, then smoking would not be against that law.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:

The law bans the sale of smoking products to persons under 21, thus targets the purveyors of the products. I really don't know how much the new law will do, but I don't blame congress for trying to do something to diminish use of this harmful product by our young people.

So, do it for the children, eh?

Please don't miss the point that it is an inherently dangerous and poisonous substance.

Yeah well, what vice, big or small, isn't?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30891 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
What about weed?

Weed can go in its own thread. Let’s stick to the OP, please.

It's still against federal law. Are they just passing more laws that they aren't going to enforce?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4634 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
If you can vote, have to sign up for selective service, can buy a home, get married, you should also be able to buy a beer or a gun and smokes

(Former smoker who started at 16 and finally quit at 29)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11457 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I have about a million things to worry about, and this isn't one of them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIG228,

Posts: 1846 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
What about weed?

Weed can go in its own thread. Let’s stick to the OP, please.

It's still against federal law. Are they just passing more laws that they aren't going to enforce?

I see this law being enforced by cashiers where tobacco products are sold. Big name stores like Walmart won’t want to get into the game of ignoring federal law.

quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
About a million things to worry about, and this isn't one of them.

True, but we can only take on the world one post at a time.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
How about I just don't care. So many other things the government should be dealing with. Kids find ways to smoke anyway. Is this law going to stop legal adults from finding ways to smoke?

For fuck shits, they are adults if they want to smoke so be it.

FWIW I have never smoked. I just don't see raising the age as something the gov should be spending time on.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16449 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Philosophically opposed to this.

Practically I think it's great.

I felt the same way when they banned smoking in bars. Not the governments job. But it's turned out great.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it stops one smoker

Dude. WTAF? Replace "one smoker" with "one robbery" or "one murder" or whatever anti-gun jargon you want to use, and think about the things you're actually writing. You're using the actual words of the GDC's when they call for confiscation, control, whatever. C'mon man, you know better than that.

This is some basic liberty 101, entry level stuff here. Freedom means free - even if it's free to make the wrong choices. In all things.

For the record, it's not the number I have a problem with. I'm okay with the age (21), but let's make it that for all of it. Drinking, smoking, selective service, voting, et al. It's not about what age is "adult", it's about making it adult for all of it - not just whatever our crusade of the day is.

As to withholding the Medicare/Medicaid thing, or raising insurance rates, I'm fine with that too. But again, let's do it for all of the risk behavior. Smoking, drinking, recreational drugs, street racing, promiscuity, being morbidly obese. All of those are higher risk habits too, no?

It's amusing how these threads bring out the totalitarians in us. Everyone is all for slaughtering the sacred cow.....as long as it isn't their cow.

Posts: 10806 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:
If it stops one smoker

Dude. WTAF? Replace "one smoker" with "one robbery" or "one murder" or whatever anti-gun jargon you want to use, and think about the things you're actually writing. You're using the actual words of the GDC's when they call for confiscation, control, whatever.
Of course smoking is guaranteed under which part of the constitution...? Big Grin

Oh yeah... it ain't.

Nothing sacred about smoking. It sucks. BTDT. It's a drain on society.

I believe people should be able to do it, but I believe I shouldn't have to pay for life giving care when they come down with lung cancer or whatever else they'll burden society with. Of course that's a pipe dream, I know...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I hate smoking.

I also hate the feds taking more power and control and destroying what it means to be an adult.

But I hate smoking.

So I dunno.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO
I believe people should be able to do it, but I believe I shouldn't have to pay for life giving care when they come down with lung cancer or whatever else they'll burden society with. Of course that's a pipe dream, I know...

I’ve seen this sentiment several times in this thread. I’m quoting Rhinowso for convenience, but I’m addressing all who have stated a similar view.

The idea that smokers cost the government, and by extension you as a taxpayer, due to additional medical care is simply false. In fact, smoking actually SAVES the government quite a bit in total. While it is true that a smoker may incur medical costs directly associated with smoking, what you are failing to consider is that everybody who doesn’t die from an accident will likely incur extensive medical costs regardless. Whether it is from lung cancer in your fifties, or congestive heart failure in your eighties, the costs will be incurred one way or another. The savings to the government are realized when a smoker dies before spending 25 years drawing a Social Security check and receiving decades of medical care, followed by high medical costs in their final years.

In other words, smoking kills you quickly before you can cash all those government checks, but usually after you’ve had a chance to pay a lifetime of taxes.

As a rule, I’m opposed to dictating people’s behavior because of the cost to a social program. If we’ve collectively decided to have a social program, we shouldn’t use that program’s cost to justify social controls. To do so would allow nearly anything to be scrutinized due to the cost to some government program. I prefer freedom. If there’s a problem caused by someone’s freedom, then eliminate the social program altogether, but keep the freedom.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Of course smoking is guaranteed under which part of the constitution...? Big Grin

Oh yeah... it ain't.

That would be the 9th amendment.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Thought experiment - make it 25 for everything currently requiring age restriction.
That's when the human brain is fully formed. Benefits vs. consequences?

No, I am not talking about retirement benefits or other senior related age qualifications, obviously.

Posts: 7506 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
The idea that smokers cost the government, and by extension you as a taxpayer, due to additional medical care is simply false. In fact, smoking actually SAVES the government quite a bit in total. While it is true that a smoker may incur medical costs directly associated with smoking, what you are failing to consider is that everybody who doesn’t die from an accident will likely incur extensive medical costs regardless. Whether it is from lung cancer in your fifties, or congestive heart failure in your eighties, the costs will be incurred one way or another. The savings to the government are realized when a smoker dies before spending 25 years drawing a Social Security check and receiving decades of medical care, followed by high medical costs in their final years.

In other words, smoking kills you quickly before you can cash all those government checks, but usually after you’ve had a chance to pay a lifetime of taxes.

As a rule, I’m opposed to dictating people’s behavior because of the cost to a social program. If we’ve collectively decided to have a social program, we shouldn’t use that program’s cost to justify social controls. To do so would allow nearly anything to be scrutinized due to the cost to some government program. I prefer freedom. If there’s a problem caused by someone’s freedom, then eliminate the social program altogether, but keep the freedom.
Data?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Data?
+1 Bold claims. Time to back them up.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23646 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have long felt that the age of adulthood should not be "two-tiered." Kind of like daylight saving time, make it one or the other.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing sacred about smoking. It sucks.

Exactly. I suggest a minimum age of 91 for purchasing, possessing, and/or using tobacco products.

Posts: 7996 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post