SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sold the Tacoma and brought home a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sold the Tacoma and brought home a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Yeah, agreed on the rope. I mentioned a couple pages back that I have a Yankum Rope, 7/8” x 30’. It has a static load of 6000 and a max breaking strength of 28,300. It’s designed specifically for vehicles in my weight range.
Along with that I have a Yankum soft shackle, and two Crosby hard shackles.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:

The great thing about Wranglers is that you can modify them to your liking... However the modifications are almost endless.

My current bank account is the limiting factor but I am also happy as it currently is.

Yeah, these are the Honda Civic’s of off road, there are so many aftermarket parts available. Everyone seems to make something for a Jeep.

Agreed on the wallet being the limiting factor. That and keeping Mrs. Cooker happy. She would have freaked out had I driven across the street and had it lifted and on 35’s when it had 10 miles on it. One of the conditions of buying this was that I won’t modify it right away. So I have a one year/tire wear moratorium on modifications. No mods for at least a year. No lift or 35’s until the tires are in need of replacement.

She has agreed that when I sell my Taco parts, I get to keep that in a reserve fund for future mods. I also have the blessing on a mesh top so we can remove the T tops and not bake in the sun.

Yes, I agree on the tires. I waited on new wheels, tires, and lift until the OEM Goodyears were nearing end of life status.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WJR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
Originally posted by WJR:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Beancooker congrats and welcome to the most capable SUV you can buy in the US!

I bought a Gladiator Rubicon last year (sting grey) and am in the process of adapting it for long range overland travel. Just finished installing a 17 gallon additional fuel tank from Long Range America that will almost double our range. Put an Alu-Cab canopy on it last year and am building out the inside with a set of drawers, water tank, second battery and a fridge...
These are the Swiss Army knives of the Truck world.

Sounds very nice. Any pics you could share?

WJR

I didn’t want to jump on Beancooker’s post but since you asked... keep in mind that we had some snow a few days ago and the truck is a little divert...

Looks great. I am definitely jealous of everyone's Rubis.

WJR

Posts: 1823 | Location: Birmingham, AL USA | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really nice Rubicon!

I have a 2010 Sport that I bought new. Stripped down, base stereo, no power door locks or windows, manual transmission. I kind of like it like that, and its not a daily driver. Only mods were wheels, 33 inch tires, bumpers and fog lamps. Being 5 foot 7 and wife 5 foot 3 I decided to not do lifts and 35's. I love mine. you will love yours.

Posts: 551 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kho:
Really nice Rubicon!

I have a 2010 Sport that I bought new. Stripped down, base stereo, no power door locks or windows, manual transmission. I kind of like it like that, and its not a daily driver. Only mods were wheels, 33 inch tires, bumpers and fog lamps. Being 5 foot 7 and wife 5 foot 3 I decided to not do lifts and 35's. I love mine. you will love yours.

No problem with that. Probably most lifted Jeeps on the highway never leave pavement anyway except for a gravel driveway. People like the look. At least that is the way it is in my area.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
SWEET!

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1690 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
So I had been kicking this idea around for quite a while. Had a deal hammered out and done in Phoenix. Ended up talking to the local dealer, who was willing to match the deals from Phoenix.

I’m now the very happy owner of a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

It’s built quite well for off roading. It is pretty well loaded with options. Stereo is quite kickass as well.

Nice Rubicon! I got my first Wrangler a couple weeks ago.

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1948 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I figured out my Challenger was going to get me tossed into jail, I began to look at Jeeps. After much research, I went with the Cherokee KL Trailhawk V6. Its 4X4 system is impressive and its on road manners were better than a Wrangler (IMHO).
The V6 is strong. The 9 speed trans seems to suck, but I am covered by an extended warranty that Jeep will be dealing with for the duration. I have been sliding around in the snow with it and so far, so good!
First trip planned after snowmelt:
Vermillion Point Light Station.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A JLU was about the only other option I considered before buying the Explorer.
Hope the OP's JLUR is still treating him well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15347 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Nice!

I'm in the market for one also. Looking for a lightly used JL unlimited rubicon to tow behind our coach and serve as a second vehicle...maybe even primary vehicle for our daily commute to our office.

We've been considering the diesel option though, as it might be nice to have a vehicle that can share fuel with our coach and generator.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
If you're already in on diesel, not a bad option.
I'd have been torn between the 2.0T or the 6MT V6.
But, I have no practical need for 4wd (was looking mostly at Sport Altitude or Willys trims) & the Explorer was a smokin deal compared to JLU prices.

Maybe when my oldest starts driving [4.5 yrs] she can inherit the Explorer & a clean used JL can end up in the driveway.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15347 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Since I figured out my Challenger was going to get me tossed into jail,
Yeah, that's one reason I don't buy muscle cars anymore. I used to street race on Woodward Avenue back in day. The impulse is still there.

Last cars have been a Subaru DL, Honda Accord, Honda CR/V, and Chevy TrailBlazer. Latest is my Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd.

I kind of regressed a little bit with this one, though Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Very nice beancooker. I really liked your taco; the Jeep sounds even more capable. Have fun with it. Looking forward to new pics in new destinations.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:
quote:
Originally posted by kho:
Really nice Rubicon!

No problem with that. Probably most lifted Jeeps on the highway never leave pavement anyway except for a gravel driveway. People like the look. At least that is the way it is in my area.

Same here, since I am in the same general area as you - halfway between Banner Elk and Elk Park in Avery County.

So while we are on the subject of Jeeps, has anyone else ever had their Jeep ducked? https://www.cartalk.com/cars-c...-ducking-its-a-thing Happened to me once while the Jeep ws parked in a grocery store parking lot. Drove around with it in the car for about a week until I saw a well used - really beat up - Jeep in the same lot and left the duck hanging on the rear view mirror

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kho,

Posts: 551 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Nice rig I have had 3 the last was a 18 Recon. You will love it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4840 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a shelf you can buy to put on the outside of the Jeep for the duck.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
It's more than a vehicle, it's a lifestyle.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm only losing the breakover angle, which I lose a lot of. That said,

ran a couple JKs over most of the last 20 years.

The JK has it's own virtues for sure, such as riding like a hobby horse and handling like a lawn tractor.

Each generation of Jeep just gets better in all areas of performance. There were previous older models I never would have considered heading cross country (on PAVEMENT!) let alone relying on as an only mode of transport.

Congratulations on a great choice.

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Beancooker - any updates an the mods you have done to the Jeep? As someone else said, "it's a lifestyle"! My wife has a 2-door, 2020 JL and she's put lots of mods in it. Right now she's considering an on-board deflator/inflator. She quickly got tired of deflating using a tire gauge and inflating with a portable compressor. Her new hook-up, should she go with that, will do all 4 tires simultaneously!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Thats a great color. The wife likes them so there is actually hope of owning one sometime... but I'd prefer the two door so stalemate.

The '89 MJ long bed that I bought new is showing its age but is still my regular driver. We have been through some things together...

There were less than 200,000 total built in it's eight year run and less than 2,000 still titled I'm told.

The kids and grand kids are already fighting over who gets it after I'm gone... I solved that by just requesting to be buried in it when the time comes Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post