SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Neighbor's dog's barking at all hours.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neighbor's dog's barking at all hours. Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
We've gotten good results using the Dog Silencer Max.

When a dog barks nearby, it responds with a blast of ultrasonic that most dogs find uncomfortable. It also has a remote fob that will trigger it (for when the dog might not be quite close/loud enough.

It has always convinced our neighbors pack to find something to bark at at the other end of their house (not under my bedroom window).

We've had it for 5-6 years and it still seems to work (or the pack learned to stay away from my house).

Thank you very much. I'm going to get one for my dogs.

To the OP, you say they are only let out to do their business and that's when they bark. I don't think there's much you can do. Dogs will be dogs. I go out with my dogs and I shush them. They do heed me. But, in the morning, I have to do my own business when they have to do theirs.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19994 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
For a hot minute I thought this was about me and my dogs. We moved in to a new neighborhood last summer. I introduced myself to the neighbors and stated clearly that if there were any problems to please let me know so we can correct them. I also erected a chainlink fence that is galvanized around our back yard, it was $11k and there were quotes up to $25K. Vinyl coated black was another $1500ish.

I have 3 dogs, a GSD that goes to work everyday and he is the one that barks the most. Then a Dutch/Mal and a Dutch/Pit these are dogs that have a drive and purpose, which is why we do tons of training, we try to do something everyday with them. Dogs are going to bark, we have a ton of wildlife around us so occasionally the dogs will go out in the middle of the night and woof, but it is really rare and I call them in as soon as they do. Dogs are going to bark, it is unfortunate that you have a dog owner that isn't willing to work with you to find some compromise to at lest mitigate the worst of it.

I had the next door neighbor come over at Christmas time and kinda confront me about the dogs barking, kind of assholish way. It took all of my self control to not escalate. I told that was the first we had heard about it and even his wife didn't think there was a problem when I asked her separately. We embarked on some training regimens and some other things. He came over at the end of March and apologized for being rude and that things were much better. I just talked to him today and asked of we were still good, his reply was they were doing excellent.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3721 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First step is to go knock on the neighbors door and nicely explain to him your situation. Perhaps he will try to remedy it. But this is the neighborly thing to do. Dogs can be trained at any age, OR he could take them in the back yard on a leash in the other direction to do their business and they won't bark.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Some breeds are kinda barky, like my German shepherd. She’s in most of the time, especially at night. We’re kinda spread out, but I make sure she’s not out barking long, especially at night.

I have a newer kinda neighbor, 300+ yards away. They have a barky dog, seems to be mostly daytime. I compare most to the neighbor down the road in MI growing up. He always had a pack of bear hounds. Luckily for me, it blended in as background noise. I don’t think it would be ignored today.

I’d think talking to the neighbor is a good first option.

Posts: 6380 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Short article in the paper a few years ago about 2 Dobermans, in a completely fenced yard, killed by a young cougar. A smallish cat footprint in the soil. Not encouraging you to trap a small cougar but could be a last resort.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1600 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post