SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Neighbor's dog's barking at all hours.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neighbor's dog's barking at all hours. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
In TEOTWAWKI, my first issue is to take my pry bar to the neighbors behind me (we’re separated by a utility power lines) and pry out a few boards of their fence. Those doggos bark when they are out, and I’m gonna set them free , maybe then they’ll be quiet.

I had a neighbor that had a German Shephard that would bark at night after they went to bed . I mentioned it to them and they just blew it off . So , I just started walking over and opening the gate and letting the dog out . I would close the gate back . The Dog would wander around for a while and then go lie by the front door . They were convinced that the Dog was jumping the fence so they put him inside at night . Wink

Posts: 4242 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
Years ago had a family get together in the back yard, cookout and cornhole. Lady whose backyard butted up against ours let her dogs out and they barked for hours. I looked over several times and saw her looking out the glass sliding doors. I had never done a thing to her.
A few months later they had a party. I called a buddy that lived nearby, can I borrow your two dogs? He brought them over. They barked for hours. Her new boyfriend came over, why won't you take your dogs in. I smiled and said go ask Mellisa, she will explain it to you.

Well played sir!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21105 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Years ago had a family get together in the back yard, cookout and cornhole. Lady whose backyard butted up against ours let her dogs out and they barked for hours. I looked over several times and saw her looking out the glass sliding doors. I had never done a thing to her.
A few months later they had a party. I called a buddy that lived nearby, can I borrow your two dogs? He brought them over. They barked for hours. Her new boyfriend came over, why won't you take your dogs in. I smiled and said go ask Mellisa, she will explain it to you.

Well played sir!

I really do like her dogs. She has about five lapdogs that must live by that back door, I can't ten steps in my backyard
and they all start barking in the house. She gets tired of hearing it and lets them out. They run to the fence and I have
a pocket full of dog treats I give them. Smile

Posts: 1325 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
Some good ideas - ultrasonics, dog whistles, etc.

Combatting them with more noise is not something I want to do because that will disturb everyone else in the neighborhood.

But if I were so inclined some harmonic feedback from a maxed out tube guitar amp could be summoned!

Found the county ordinance, excessive noise appears to be restricted between 10pm and 6am?

§ 94.01 CONDITIONS DEFINED AS NUISANCES.
(A) Nuisances in general.
(1) In addition to what is declared in this chapter to be a nuisance, those offenses which are known to the common law and statutes of the state as public nuisances and, in case any thereof, may exist in unincorporated areas of the county be treated as such and be proceeded against as provided in this chapter or in accordance with any other provisions of law.
(2) Whenever the word NUISANCE is used in this chapter, it refers to a public nuisance.
(B) Certain conditions. The following conditions within this chapter are as declared to be nuisances: any device or otherwise, any unreasonably loud, disturbing, or unnecessary noise; or any noise of a character, intensity, or duration as to be detrimental to the life, health, safety, peace, comfort, repose, or general welfare of any individual.
(C) Other provision. This section is only effective from 10:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m.
(Ord. 2021-60, passed 10-26-2021) Penalty, see § 94.99

§ 94.02 NOISE EXEMPTIONS.
The following shall be exempt from the classification of nuisance:
(A) Any noise commonly associated with normal or customary farm or farming-related activities;
(B) Fireworks or related activities permitted under applicable state code;
(C) Authorized special events permitted by any county agency;
(D) Normal school related activities;
(E) Noise related to any normal or customary construction activities;
(F) Sporting events related to school activities; and
(G) Normal and customary residential uses such as lawn care.
(Ord. 2021-60, passed 10-26-2021)

Posts: 4916 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We've gotten good results using the Dog Silencer Max

Some Shot,

Is that thing water proof, Rain, snow etc.?

How is the battery life?

Thanks

Posts: 59 | Registered: January 26, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
surprisingly, the gate keeps opening on its own...

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
Talk with the owner, and suggest an electronic bark collar. They work. Maybe even offer to pay for it.

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 655 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to try something for free you can get a bluetooth outdoor speaker and connect it to your pc, then go to an online tone generator website
(https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/&ved=2ahUKEwj3l9PeudmHAxWBsoQIHSYMN6MQFnoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2gWak8I_SVur_7LIxLStrp) and blast out a 20khz tone when the dog barks. If it works you will know right away and can buy or build a system that suits your needs. I don't know what frequency the dog silencer max uses but it is the same idea only automated with a bark sensor. keep in mind when using high frequency sound that it needs to be line of sight or very close to be effective. Dogs generally don't care for sounds around 20khz to 25khz. humans (usually) won't notice a sound that high. it may irritate the humans but they won't (usually) realize or recognize that it is high frequency sound.

Posts: 233 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
Have you talked with the neighbor?

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6107 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is that thing water proof, Rain, snow etc.?

How is the battery life?

It's been outdoors on the side of a shed for 5-6 years.

Ours came with a wallwort and extension cable, so I haven't tried batteries.

This was our escalation after trying one of those cute "birdhouse" looking ones that was sort of effective with a 9V battery every month.

After using this one for a week I nicknamed it "the Shreder". Smile

Posts: 1361 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oregon:

This.

Step #1 is to be neighborly, and at least attempt a conversation.

Even if that doesn't work, there are other things you can try next (code enforcement, ultrasonics, etc.), rather than just resorting to passive-aggressive bullshit like airhorns, fence vandalism, or prowling onto their property to open a gate so they will run off. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33036 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really is beyond me why some people are just assholes for no reason. I’d never let a pet disturb my neighbors.

Posts: 1161 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If the people are home when the dogs act up, how do they stand it?

Posts: 28644 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:

If he is a Medical Resident, I'll assume he works odd hours. Figure out when he is asleep and pick that time to go ask him about the dogs.

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
My first real job, in a college town, I Lived in a small apartment and dogs lived in the apt. below and next to me on two sides. At any given time one was barking. It was torture.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8539 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
My wife sleeps with a noise generator. If I put it between myself and the neighbors, i can no longer hear the dog barking or cars revving down the street. She’s been using it forever. I do wonder if a constant noise all night is part of the cause of her bad hearing. It does work though. I also use sleep earphones to listen to soft sounds at night to help me sleep.

Those are two ideas to try.

Posts: 45536 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really do like her dogs. She has about five lapdogs that must live by that back door, I can't ten steps in my backyard
and they all start barking in the house. She gets tired of hearing it and lets them out. They run to the fence and I have
a pocket full of dog treats I give them. Smile

So, you've trained them to bark. Wink

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

This.

Step #1 is to be neighborly, and at least attempt a conversation.

Even if that doesn't work, there are other things you can try next (code enforcement, ultrasonics, etc.), rather than just resorting to passive-aggressive bullshit like airhorns, fence vandalism, or prowling onto their property to open a gate so they will run off. Roll Eyes

I haven't discussed it directly with him yet because every other interaction has shown me he is kind of in his own world, and he probably wouldn't do anything about it, and as my son told me, there really isn't any way to change the dogs at this point. Ignoring the easement that I took the time to show him on the survey was really dumb. Then he planted small pine tress all along the back fence but didn't water the roots correctly and they all died.

Yes I will talk to him before doing anything else, but I was just irritated when I posted this because the dogs were making noise. I travel often for work so I'm not home all the time.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
If the people are home when the dogs act up, how do they stand it?

They keep the dogs inside most of the time but let them out in the yard a few times a day. And they always bark when they are outside so I know the neighbors are aware of it. Not sure if they bark indoors, that would be annoying.

It's like people with small kids in restaurants that scream throughout the meal. Literally scream every time they want something. And the parents ignore the screaming kid and everyone else suffers. Probably because they tune the kid out at home.

posted Hide Post
I’ve dealt with noisy dog owning neighbors several times. One time I barked at the wife that it was time for some poisoned steaks. She yelled back at me “Those dogs haven’t done anything wrong”! I said “Who said anything about the dogs”?
She wasn’t amused.

Posts: 1161 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post