SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Neighbor's dog's barking at all hours.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neighbor's dog's barking at all hours. Login/Join 
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted
I've never had dogs so I don't know much about training them or caring for them.

My neighborhood used to be nice and quiet. It's a subdivision outside city limits in the county, and my house is at least 1/2 mile from any major road. I like the quiet. Due to circumstances involving the developer going bankrupt and then going to jail, no HOA was ever established and an effort by one resident to create one was voted down rather decisively. People behave for the most part and we chip in to pay for the lighting at the entrances and those with houses on the pond chip in to pay for the water treatment.

But my relatively new next door neighbor has dogs (seems to be 2 now but I remember a 3rd when he moved in). He put up a chain link fence (not too happay about that, should be a nicer one) to keep the dogs in the yard. I warned him about putting his fence into the drainage easement and showed him the survey showing he had to stop 30 feet from the property line. Despite the fact that he is a medical resident, he ignored the easement. This really won't have any effect unless the county has to dig up the drainage pipes and tears out the fence in the process.

So he lets the dogs outside to do their business early in the morning and late at night (before 7 am, and after 11 pm). And they bark, and bark, and bark. If I go outside in my back yard they bark and jump up and down against the fence. Constantly. And once they bark, any other dog in earshot barks. There is another neighbor or two behind us and down the way that have dogs, but they are less of an issue unless set off by the neighbor's dogs

My bedroom is on the side of the house closest to this new neighbor which doesn't help.

So what to do? My son says the dogs will bark and at this point there is no way to train them to stop. A privacy fence won't help because they bark at smells and not sights.

I think it's poor form to let dogs out to bark when people are trying to sleep. Then again, when they have to go they have to go. I haven't made a big deal about it, mostly because my son knows more about dogs (ex and her husband have dogs) and he told me not much can be done. Neighbor probably should have trained them better - I've seen very well behaved dogs that don't bark uness there is a good reason. But again, probably too late.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4916 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
It is better to train dogs when they're young, but it's not impossible to train older dogs. However, it takes a lot of time and effort, along with patience - or you can pay to have someone train them, but it's pretty expensive. And then it still requires the owner to maintain the consistency of the training to keep up the good behavior. From your description of the owner, it sounds like not much can be done, unfortunately.

'veritas non verba magistri'

Posts: 4005 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Not much to do.

Q

Posts: 27503 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Go out with a M-80 and light it off as close to the fence and dogs as possible. He will get the message

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19702 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
One way or another, it comes down to training the owner.

I've had to deal with it. It's ugly.

God bless America.

Posts: 13855 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Maybe get insulated windows in your bedroom if you don’t already have them. Would help with heating and cooling as well.

I imagine the county or even state has some laws about disturbing the peace, which would prohibit noise at certain hours.

And a privacy fence may help, as although they may react to smells and sounds, they would be less interested if they don’t see you. Maybe they would pay more attention to the other side of their yard. And last thought, with a privacy fence you could add some outdoor speakers along the fence, playing music or pink noise at a volume that wouldn’t bother you, but would mask any sounds coming from your side from the dogs. So they would either bark constantly until they were tired out, or they would direct their attention elsewhere.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
The only thing that you can do is make noise complaints.

Dogs get a free pass because it is usually an occasional thing. If it is consistant to where the police are coming out night after night they will issue a violation to the owner who then will have no choice but to address the problem.

It's a bad situation though.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4855 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would go over and talk to him and let him know that you can't sleep with all the barking.

Wait several weeks and if nothing has changed, get or borrow a friend's dog and let him out after the neighbor has gone to sleep. Start some barking to wake him up and then go inside.

Posts: 11882 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've gotten good results using the Dog Silencer Max.

When a dog barks nearby, it responds with a blast of ultrasonic that most dogs find uncomfortable. It also has a remote fob that will trigger it (for when the dog might not be quite close/loud enough.

It has always convinced our neighbors pack to find something to bark at at the other end of their house (not under my bedroom window).

We've had it for 5-6 years and it still seems to work (or the pack learned to stay away from my house).

Posts: 1361 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago had a family get together in the back yard, cookout and cornhole. Lady whose backyard butted up against ours let her dogs out and they barked for hours. I looked over several times and saw her looking out the glass sliding doors. I had never done a thing to her.
A few months later they had a party. I called a buddy that lived nearby, can I borrow your two dogs? He brought them over. They barked for hours. Her new boyfriend came over, why won't you take your dogs in. I smiled and said go ask Mellisa, she will explain it to you.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a similar situation to you, only this one started this week. Next door neighbor is a young family with three kids, a couple of times this week, their two dogs have gone on barking for more than a couple of hours, to include last night which went on just past midnight. I'm looking forward to seeing one of them this weekend at some point and making mention of the dogs, we'll see how it goes. Best part is the kids are eager to tell you everything if you ask them a question, if one of them is around, we'll see how much they blab. Big Grin

Posts: 15054 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Yes dogs bark but its the owner that is allowing it to go on.
I have two dogs on one side that bark but the owners are good about getting them in after they do the biz.
On the other side is one and while i really close friends with the owner she is the absolute worst at stopping the dog from barking. After a good while she will finally come out to see what its barking at which pisses me off even more. It has a doggy door and she works from home and her office is at the back door. It just doesn't bother her. I have helped her with just about everything in and around her house and if its inside or out the dog barks non stop. I cannot carry on a conversation with her dog barking and it just doesn't seem to bother her.

Posts: 18139 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
Some people are oblivious to how inconsiderate they are.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It can be trained out at any age. If need be you put them on the lead (leash) to go potty. There is no excuse for this behavior and it is not the dogs’ fault. It’s the stupid ass mother fucker owner. He/she doesn’t care and/or enjoys it, and enjoys driving neighbors nuts. You can get a dog whistle to get them back, and blow the shit out of it. But that will likely mess with the other dogs you mentioned and it’s a lose/lose. If you have a noise ordinance (10pm here) you can call the PD and just keep calling. That’s about it. It sucks. My neighbors behind me have 2 little shit ass dogs that do the same thing and I just talk shit, loudly. Anytime they are out, and I’m in my driveway or garage they do this. I just yell “Great, exactly what I wanted to listen to on my own property! I have a k9, a Mal, that would eat your mutts, and she doesn’t bark unless I tell her to!” I’ve repeated that ad nauseam so now when they crank it up, the owners will let it go on for a couple minutes then bring them in. Still annoying.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12925 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
You can get a dog whistle to get them back, and blow the shit out of it.

I forgot about dog whistles. Maybe I'll get one and try it as long as it doesn't bother
the good dogs. The neighbors right next to me, I spoil their dogs with treats, they love
me and don't bark at me.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Get a marine air horn. It is just a can of compressed air with a horn on top, but they are LOUD. When the dogs bark, go out back and blow the horn. It should stop the barking, at least for a short time, but it also should annoy their owner. He might get the idea after a few days of that, or at least provoke some sort of dialog with him.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get a marine air horn. … He might get the idea after a few days of that, or at least provoke some sort of dialog with him.

Posts: 28644 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post

Posts: 871 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dumb ass nephew built his fence on the county easement out in NC. County made him move it like immediately.
I'd at least try asking nicely for them to be a bit more considerate. They just might be reasonable.

We had 2 dogs for about 15 years. They were pretty quite unless provoked. But if they did get wound up, in they came. Frankly I didn't like hearing it either.

Posts: 2055 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
In TEOTWAWKI, my first issue is to take my pry bar to the neighbors behind me (we’re separated by a utility power lines) and pry out a few boards of their fence. Those doggos bark when they are out, and I’m gonna set them free , maybe then they’ll be quiet.

I’ve been lucky, the last 2 dogs we’ve rescued, don’t bark-inside or out.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11456 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post