SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Okay friends recommend me a good 15+ year old single malt Scotch. Update on page 3
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Okay friends recommend me a good 15+ year old single malt Scotch. Update on page 3 Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
Over the last few years I have received some great recommendations for good Bourbon and Scotch from my imaginary friends here.
I am now looking to up what I have been drinking.
I have been drinking mostly good blended and some 8 to 12 year single malt Scotches.
I would like your recommendations on some good 15+ year old Scotches.
I am not big on heavy peat or smoke flavors but some hit of it is good.

My wife and I also like some of the Scotches that are finished in Sherry or rum casks.
Let me know what you like and why.

My wife and I were suppose to go on a cruise next month. This is where we have had the opportunity in the past to try different Scotches then be able to buy them Duty free.
As we know that is not happening.
Cheers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 71 TRUCK,

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Kirkland (Costco) 22yr Speyside Single Malt Sherry Cask Finish is a phenomenal value @ $80. I find it every bit as complex and amazing as Macallan 18 @ $300. I have to hide it from my wife, who otherwise dislikes whisky.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
What's your price point?

Not all 15+ Scotches are created equal.

I really like Sherry Cask Scotches because they are more "flavorful" than the Rum cask variety, which are admittedly smoother at same age but less "tart."

I think the best value in Sherry Cask Scotch that is not too peaty is Glenfarclas. I have on hand a bottle of Glenfarclas 25 year old that is fantastic. Has a sweet, coffee like aftertaste. Under $200 a bottle here in California.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite value buys ever is the Gelnlivet 15yr French Oak. I highly recommend it.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
Honestly I know single malt guys hate this but I will go to my grave claiming Johnny Walker Blue label is the best scotch that readily available.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
Glenlivet 15 and Walker Blue are solid recommendations. I always call the Blue a "gateway" Scotch into the expensive world of high end Scotches. Next thing you know you regularly attend Nth Whisky Tasting in Vegas, and Whiskyfest in San Francisco, and brand ambassadors call you by your first name...

And you eat ramen for dinner 11 months out of the year...

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lagavulin 16

Posts: 1069 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:
What's your price point?

Not all 15+ Scotches are created equal.

I really like Sherry Cask Scotches because they are more "flavorful" than the Rum cask variety, which are admittedly smoother at same age but less "tart."

I think the best value in Sherry Cask Scotch that is not too peaty is Glenfarclas. I have on hand a bottle of Glenfarclas 25 year old that is fantastic. Has a sweet, coffee like aftertaste. Under $200 a bottle here in California.

Price point could be some wear in the neighborhood of $100 to $125 to start.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
The Macallan Smile

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oban 18 year. This stuff is beyond incredible

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
Honestly I know single malt guys hate this but I will go to my grave claiming Johnny Walker Blue label is the best scotch that readily available.

Tried the Johnny Walker Blue on a cruise back in March"one of the last ones to sail". I was answering question about a watch another guest was looking at. He ended up buying the watch and the sales person brought out a bottle to celebrate. I was offered round.

On the ship they were offering a great deal if you bought two bottles but I don't remember exactly what it was. It may have been just over $300 for the two bottles.
I was not overly impressed at the time but it was good.

My local BJs sells it for just under $200 a bottle.

NRA Life Member

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
Lagavulin 16

He said he wasn't looking for peat.

If you like Sherry cask, Glendronach and Abelour are excellent for far less then Macallan.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Get a Glenlivet holiday sampler to try a variety but I do like Glenlivet.

Posts: 17895 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prepsheriff:
The Macallan Smile

This, 10yo sherry cask Malt is good...18 is really really, really good, but the price point is a no-go. I get a bottle once a year now due to the 10yo being $90.

But I love the flavor, get a shot, put a splash of filtered water and sip it.

Oban is great stuff too.

Just know you are paying for time....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
If you’re not big on that heavy peat smokiness, you may want to stick with the Speyside and Highland scotches.

My go to is Glenfiddich, but I also really like Balvenie (owned by Glenfiddich) and Glenmorangie.

I started my journey watching a YouTube channel called Ralfy. It gave me some great insight into what I might enjoy.

Edited to add: For blended scotch, my favorite is Johnny Walker Green, which I believe is 15 year old scotch.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Not quite 15 year, but I really enjoy Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. Port cask finish. 14 year. It almost has a sweet cognac like finish. Wonderful stuff. Glenmorangie has a sherry finish called Lasanta. Its okay, but I like the Ruban much better.

I like the bold flavors of younger scotch. The flavors that storage and aging tend to smooth out. If you want to experiment with a some peat and smoke Highland Park 12 is my overall favorite. They do have a 15 but it wasn't significantly better than the 12 for the extra money in my opinion. Talasker 10 is another.

For those who like the peat monsters try Kilchoman Sanaig. This is Islay's only farm distillery that does it all themselves. They are the only label that does this that I know of. They started after the turn of the century. I don't think that have any "aged" offerings yet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goose5,

Posts: 7531 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try Jura Scotch. Pronounce with a "D" not a "J." Only aged 10 years but is more smooth than most I've had. No bite, and almost no hint of peat or smoke. I highly recommend especially at it's cost.

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
The Kirkland (Costco) 22yr Speyside Single Malt Sherry Cask Finish is a phenomenal value @ $80. I find it every bit as complex and amazing as Macallan 18 @ $300. I have to hide it from my wife, who otherwise dislikes whisky.

Do all Costco's carry this?
Where in the store do you find it?

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1309 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I'm a Speyside fan. I've had the 15-yr Glenlivet and thought it was very good.

I am under doctor's orders to lose 40 pounds. Once I hit that goal, I'm going to treat myself a bottle of 15-yr Balvenie.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6415 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:

Do all Costco's carry this?
Where in the store do you find it?

Both of the Costcos near me have it, right by the rest of the liquor bottles. The Kirkland French Vodka is also really nice, at $24. Extremely smooth. But MUST be the French, the American is "meh"...

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post