SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Okay friends recommend me a good 15+ year old single malt Scotch. Update on page 3
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Okay friends recommend me a good 15+ year old single malt Scotch. Update on page 3 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
One of my favorite value buys ever is the Gelnlivet 15yr French Oak. I highly recommend it.

THIS.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Check out Ralfy dot com and his channel. And the 'glass' thread. The Glennfidich 18 was nice, I would buy it given the criteria. The Lonach private label bottling of Mortlach 19 was okay... but was it $100+ okay? Are the older Mortlach offerings worth it? Check Ralfy.

The Balvenie 21 Yr that I bought for Dad had a bite that bit. Glendronach has a good rep, check the recent reviews. A change in ownership often means a change in quality.

Regarding JW/Oban/Talisker/Lagaluvin and other Diageo brands, I would not spend a cent on those. Diageo is a marketing machine. Fuck those schotka selling sons-of-bitches. See Erik Wait's Studies in Whiskey about the laws for distilling irish whiskey and scotch whisky. And the single malts that I tried were bland, not smooth.

Being honest, I do not drink a lot of aged scotch although I do drink like a fish. If the entry level product fails then the premium offerings are out of consideration. But I do talk a lot with the customers and employees, research the online trade/industry sites.

So, please try Glenfidich 18.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Macallen 15 Triple Cask is one I regularly keep on my bar.
It may not be the best value but a very good Scotch nonetheless.
If you can handle a little peat then :agavulin 16 is my favorite and worth a try.

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glenmorangie 18

Highland Park 18 a lil smoke

Springbank 18 a lil funk

Posts: 4284 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Since no one has said it, I'd add Dalwhinnie to the mix.

I 2nd:
GlenMorangie
MaCallan

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Add Oban to the mix..................

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4584 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.
I started looking up some of your recommendations.
My local ABC has several of them available.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2579 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
In your price range, and I can only draw from prices here in California, and given that you prefer less peaty, the following are ones I would recommend based on my tasting experience:

Glenlivet 18
Glenmorangie 18
Glenfiddich 18 (Best value in this group)

Auchentoshan Virgin Oak
Dalmore Cigar Malt
Glendfiddich 19
These are slightly over your $125 upper limit but are very good.

At around $150 I really like

Highland Park 18
Glenfarclas 25 (In my opinion by far the best Scotch at this price point. I like this more than all Scotches under $200)

Stay away from: Ardbeg, Laphroig, Lagavulin, Talisker. Pretty much anything from Islay region as they tend to be very peaty.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:

My wife and I also like some of the Scotches that are finished in Sherry or rum casks.
Let me know what you like and why.

I know you want 15 year, but my personal favorite Scotch is Balvenie Single Malt Scotch 14 Year Caribbean Cask. Runs around 70-80 a bottle but in my opinion it's worth every penny.

The 15 year old Sherry cask is OK, but not worth the premium to me, but it's still in your price range.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try a blend. I have been getting John Barr in the
1.75 for $18.00. Mix equal parts club soda and you will think you have gone to heaven. May not take that long either.

Posts: 80 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: May 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Glenfarclas 21 (I prefer it to the 25)
Glendronach Allerdice (18)

I hope to have a bottle of each waiting for me when I redeploy! If you like sherried scotch, you’ll enjoy both.

Posts: 2406 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ardbeg, Laphroig, Lagavulin, Talisker. Pretty much anything from Islay region as they tend to be very peaty.[/QUOTE]

This is true... and I personally prefer the peat flavor.

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2085 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.acespirits.com/gra...ith%20floral%20notes.

Don't let the price turn you away but the grangestone 18 year is fantastic.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods62:
https://www.acespirits.com/gra...ith%20floral%20notes.

Don't let the price turn you away but the grangestone 18 year is fantastic.

It has been said that the Balvenie folks are behind this label.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16258 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
One of my favorite value buys ever is the Gelnlivet 15yr French Oak. I highly recommend it.

Mine as well, just great !

Posts: 3854 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Balvenie 14 Year Caribbean Cask is $73 where I am and it's worth every cent. I found it much smoother than other similar aged scotches.

quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
I know you want 15 year, but my personal favorite Scotch is Balvenie Single Malt Scotch 14 Year Caribbean Cask. Runs around 70-80 a bottle but in my opinion it's worth every penny.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
How much better is this than Oban 14? IIRC the 14 is pretty good, but a little sharp on the finish.

quote:
Originally posted by imfrogman:
Oban 18 year. This stuff is beyond incredible

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
Balvenie 14 Year Caribbean Cask is $73 where I am and it's worth every cent. I found it much smoother than other similar aged scotches.

quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:

My mouth is watering for this Balvenie. I just checked and it's $77 at my local liquor store.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6426 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Reading this thread got me thirsty. I poured some 14 yr. old cognac cask finished Glenlivet and smoked a couple of cigars - a Nub maduro and a Cohiba Macasar - while sitting by my fire pit.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Johnny Walker green label is a blend of 4 - 15 y.o. single malts. One of my favorites.

If some smoke is ok then Highland Park 18 is great.

Posts: 1198 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post