SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1990 Corvette - Things to watch for?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1990 Corvette - Things to watch for? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
Watch out for the distributor as if I remember correctly the water pump leaked into this. Digital dash is expensive to repair.
God Bless !!!

The optispark was an issue with the LT1, which didn't come about until 1992, IIRC. Good motor, stupid distributor design and placement. The 1990 Vette should have an L98 in it, which has a more traditional distributor located behind the intake.

Posts: 8578 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks. I printed out a RPO list as well and will be giving the car as thorough an inspection as I can manage.

Also calling my insurance guy today to see how big a hit that will be.

Tires appear to be in the $200/per range as I won't be needing Z-rated tires. Owner says mileage is in the 22,000 range and that makes me suspect the tires are 35 year old originals.

Besides calling your insurance guy contact one of the classic car insurance companies such as Hagerty or Grundy. Their policies are usually alot less expensive and geared toward the limited usage this car will get.

Posts: 342 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://ibb.co/mFWTYt1

I picked up this 84 few years ago for a steal ($2300),
30 year garage queen, 83k on the original engine heavily modified yet still had the Crossfire with the mods done. it was built in 83 and was 8379 to roll out of the Bowling Green plant.
I believe the original paint, hand sprayed before the robots were perfected.
Tires were the biggest expense of getting it on the road. Electrical gremlins were 2nd problem.
After pumping out old gas and replacing some rotted vaccume lines it drove on the trailer.
https://ibb.co/1ZDtZYm

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 317 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I drove an 85 Vette for 4 years and I bought a 90 Vette in 94 and sold it in 98 after we had our baby.

Both were used as daily drivers and the 90 Vette was a dream. Wish I had it back.

Best of luck and let me know if you need any oil filters. I still have 2-3 Fram filters that are yours if you want.

Posts: 3726 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Big $$ but the only C4 I'd want would be a ZR1

Drove a few when I was working at Chevrolet in college, they're definitely a fall in/climb out, compared to the C5 & newer.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't know if the 1990 model would use a "tape drive" window regulator, but earlier years of this generation did.

My sister-in-law had a 1984 (first year of this generation) model. It had a racetrack-oriented suspension (Z-something) that was even stiffer than the already firm standard. It had an absolutely bone-jarring ride which exacerbated the squeaks and rattles that these early years were known for. I also had a repair shop client for a time who owned an '84 and was a librarian. Big Grin She even looked the part of the stereotype.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
Watch out for the distributor as if I remember correctly the water pump leaked into this. Digital dash is expensive to repair.
God Bless !!!

Not an issue on this model, it has the L98 and the distributor in is the normal back of the intake position you are thinking of the later LT series of engines produced by GM.

The L98 is a good platform and well tested and it responds well to performance upgrades as well, I ran a 150 shot of NOS on my 86, changed rear gears, exhaust, chip, and it ran like a champ.

Getting in and out can be problematic for taller and bulkier individuals, so get in and out of it a few times, the frame is up in the door sill so it's a step over and into vehicle.

Parts are basic GM stuff for the engine and drive train, the rear transleaf suspension has been around since 84 on that platform, it's tested.

They handle like on rails, fun to cruise or take a trip in.

I would caution against putting Flowmasters or any loud performance exhaust, the mufflers sit right behind the rear storage compartment and can drone heavily in there, I took them off.

Not a great winter car but a great summer car up there, you can pop the top off, and have a great drive.

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Also calling my insurance guy today to see how big a hit that will be.

Great advice on insurance above for a classic corvette only driven a few thousand a year to call Hagerty or Grundy and get a declared value policy.

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I don't know if the 1990 model would use a "tape drive" window regulator, but earlier years of this generation did.

My sister-in-law had a 1984 (first year of this generation) model. It had a racetrack-oriented suspension (Z-something) that was even stiffer than the already firm standard. It had an absolutely bone-jarring ride which exacerbated the squeaks and rattles that these early years were known for. I also had a repair shop client for a time who owned an '84 and was a librarian. Big Grin She even looked the part of the stereotype.

Z51 $600 option, they softened it up in 85 because it was so stiff for street use, the 84 z51 had a skidpad .90g and bested the Porche 928 of the era's .82 which I am sure was their goal.
Cant remember what year they upgraded the "tape drive" but easy upgrade to new style drilling 1 hole.

John Adams

Posts: 317 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I think they also introduced the Z52 suspension which was between stock and Z51.

Personally I loved the digital dashes on the C4s. I also liked the breadbox dash on the passenger side and the window switches between the driver and passenger.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
i looked at one, actually fell into the seat, which is lower than door sill, which made it very difficult to get out.

i ended up get on '04 c5, which which was easier to get in/out.

Ha! This is a feature not a bug.

My Dad had a 1984 for awhile. Felt like my butt was scraping the asphalt when I drove it. Loved that thing.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10490 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Just found out it's a ragtop. From discussion/pics I was under the impression it was a coupe.

Damn. Don't really want a convertible, but I'll still go look at it.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15237 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Damnit, yes you do. You are only going to drive that thing in the summer in Maine, and you're a motorcycle guy. Wind in the hair and all that.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with Artie, but T tops are ok too.
1 of 7630 ragtops made in '90, 32.27% of production.
I would hold out for a C5, they are much better than the C4 in my opinion.
And easier to resell.

John Adams

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Got it bought. Exactly as advertised, 20,435 on the odometer, spotless inside and out, only flaw (which he mentioned when we were texting) is some paint chipping around the driver's side flip up headlight.

Arranging insurance and registration now, daughter will take me back down Saturday to pick it up.

Test drive was short as it didn't have much gas in it and it was raining. Guy said as far as he knows, that's the first time it's ever had rain on it...

Getting in/out IS going to be a challenge, but it's perfectly comfy once seated. Even if it tickles my fancy for a couple of years and moves on, I feel it will have been worth it.

Posts: 15237 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!

My 90 was a glass targa top in the metallic red.

You have the "come catch me" red so be careful!

Again, I have a few "vintage" brand new Fram PH8a oil filters that I will never use if you want them. They date back to ~1997. Be sure to double-check if your Vette has the same size.

Posts: 3726 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Congrats!!!

My 90 was a glass targa top in the metallic red.

You have the "come catch me" red so be careful!

Again, I have a few "vintage" brand new Fram PH8a oil filters that I will never use if you want them. They date back to ~1997. Be sure to double-check if your Vette has the same size.

Thanks, I'll check on that. Looking at the dipstick I think the oil is brand new. If I can get it up high enough, I'll have a peek at the filter.

posted Hide Post
Congratulations!
Enjoy the C4, top down!
"come catch me" red
We always called it arrest me red.
I have a red truck and must admit, more people see you.

John Adams

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Congrats, P.
Enjoy it & get that top down.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I can get it up high enough,

There is ONLY 4 jack points on a C4, any others may cause damage.

John Adams

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Nice, The convertible will be fun and easier to deal with than the removable top.

Keep it stock, don't mess with the exhaust, chip, and all the go fast goodies, and it should be a fun car to have. Since it's a convertible getting in and out will be a lot easier, top down, than the coupe.

C4 ran many years so there are lots of parts for them out there should you need anything.

Ecklers Corvette Parts in Titusville was a normal trip for me when I had the C4, spent a lot of money with them.

https://www.ecklers.com/corvet...ries-parts-1984.html

Find out if there is a local Corvette club in your area, be a good place for tips on things to keep up on, help, etc.

Don't forget to order some gold chains, and Puma tennis shoes.... Razz

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post