SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year IV
Page 1 ... 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 ... 1148
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Trump Presidency : Year IV Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
And break up the monopolies while you're at it

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6896 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I watched News Nation on WGN last night and while suffering a little bit on the reporter's personalities, they did seem fair in their reporting.
They made it through the riots without mentioning right or left wing and covered the heat out west without saying anything about climate change.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shakespeare once wrote "first we kill all the lawyers". If he were alive and writing today he would write "first we kill all the journalists".
These people are totally worthless human beings (and I use the term human very loosely)

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trump Vows to Defund California Schools Pushing Revisionist History from 1619 Project

President Donald Trump said Sunday that the Department of Education (DOE) is investigating California public schools including the 1619 Project — a radical revisionist history plan promoted by the New York Times which claims the United States was founded in 1619 when the first slaves arrived in Virginia — in their curricula.

“Department of Education is looking at this. If so, they will not be funded!” Trump tweeted.

Sen. Tom Cotton, (R-AR), introduced a bill in July that would have addressed schools’ use of the 1619 project in a similar manner to that Trump proposed, Fox News reported. “That bill proposed denying funds to any school that uses the 1619 Project in its curriculum.”

In a statement, Cotton called the 1619 project “a racially divisive, revisionist account of history that denies the noble principles of freedom and equality on which our nation was founded.”

Ironically, the project, created by Nikole Hannah-Jones, received the 2020 Pulitzer Prize for commentary and not the award for history.

The fictional account claims that the colonists fought the Revolutionary War not to liberate the colonies from British rule, but instead to preserve slavery.

The Wall Street Journal, in a recent editorial board opinion, wrote about what it called “California’s radical indoctrination” and said it will not only include the 1619 ideology, but will take it to new extremes:

The largest state in the union is poised to become one of the first to mandate ethnic studies for all high-school students, and the model curriculum makes the radical “1619 project” look moderate and balanced. Last year California’s Assembly passed its ethnic-studies bill known as AB 331 by a 63-8 vote. Then the state department of education put forward a model curriculum so extreme and ethnocentric that the state Senate’s Democratic supermajority balked. The curriculum said among other things that “within Ethnic Studies, scholars are often very critical of the system of capitalism as research has shown that Native people and people of color are disproportionately exploited within the system.” The bill was put on ice, but protests and riots in recent months gave Sacramento’s mavens of racial division more leverage. The education department delivered a new draft model curriculum this month, and AB 331 has been revived. It passed a Senate committee Aug. 20 and is expected to go before the full body soon. If Gov. Gavin Newsom signs it, the legislation would require all school districts to offer a semester-long ethnic studies class starting in 2025.

The model curriculum posted online states that the course will “build new possibilities for post-imperial life that promotes collective narratives of transformative resistance” and is designed for K-12.

“It suggests teachers provide ‘examples of systems of power, which can include economic systems like capitalism and social systems like patriarchy.’ Students can then be taught ‘the four ‘I’s of oppression —ideological, institutional, interpersonal and internalized,’” the Journal wrote. “What about the fifth ‘I’ of indoctrination?”

Topics in the curriculum include racism, LGBTQ rights, immigration rights, access to quality health care, and income inequality,” all much more related to current politics and ideology than to U.S. history.

“Students will write a paper detailing certain events in American history,” the curriculum stated, “that have led to Jewish and Irish Americans gaining racial privilege.”

The Journal, called it “ugly stuff” that will enforce “identity politics” with a goal of “replacing civic nationalism as America’s creed.”

The Journal editorial board called on lawmakers in Sacramento to stop the curriculum before it is too late.

LINK

Posts: 2271 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Disgusting

Absolutely disgusting. If they hate America so much why don’t they just leave and move to some other country?

I’m sure those that stay behind would welcome their departure.

Posts: 53788 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nhtag - I've often wondered that too. I can only surmise that anyone here that wishes this country ill wants to pick over America's bones when (in their minds) they get their way so they can live high on the hog - thinking that they are going to be the one of the people in charge.

It's a selfish and self-centered philosophy which exactly fits their current profile, unlike real Americans who are ready and willing to sacrifice in the here and now for the future of the country and their children.

Posts: 5026 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
There are no "LGBTQ rights" or "immigration rights" -- those groups have no more rights than the rest of us (and no fewer). "Income inequality" is a natural consequence of any system that rewards effort and perseverance, and any effort to force its cessation must do so by robbing from those who have to pay those who have not--it is theft, pure and simple. These idiots must be stopped!

California may be the "largest state in the Union" but only by population; Alaska might differ with that quote.

"Jewish and Irish Americans gaining racial privilege"? I didn't know that was the case. I'm sure the Irish don't think so (doubt the Jews even think about it).

We must get back to teaching true American History (with all its faults) and what has made this country great. And Civics is also needed again, so that citizens are aware of how the government as set up in the Constitution is supposed to work, not how some misled and corrupt individuals think it should.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Disgusting

Absolutely disgusting. If they hate America so much why don’t they just leave and move to some other country?

The only other countries that follow their plans would either kill them or put them in jail. The US is the only place where they can get away with their antics. (And that needs to stop NOW!)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
We'll see how this fleshes out but it wouldn't surprise me.

Exclusive — Jake Tapper Attempted to Convince GOP’s Sean Parnell to Run in Different District than Against Democrat Conor Lamb

CNN anchor Jake Tapper tried to convince Republican Sean Parnell to run in a different congressional district than in Pennsylvania’s 17th, where he is currently challenging Democrat Rep. Conor Lamb (D-PA), sources familiar with Tapper’s actions told Breitbart News.

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...democrat-conor-lamb/

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
And this is just awesome Smile

Thousands of boats turn out for 'Great American Boat Parade' on Lake Lanier

GAINESVILLE, Ga. — Organizers anticipated roughly 700 boats would participate in the inaugural "Great American Boat Parade" Sunday on Lake Lanier, however, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources says nearly 4,000 showed up.

https://www.11alive.com/articl...b9-a5df-caa9110faa8c

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine was in one yesterday at the Jersey Shore. Glad to see them all over the place.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
Shakespeare once wrote "first we kill all the lawyers". If he were alive and writing today he would write "first we kill all the journalists".
These people are totally worthless human beings (and I use the term human very loosely)

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/0...orters-as-spies.html

As General Sherman said all those years ago...

In 1984, Joseph H. Ewing opened a folder of letters addressed to his great-grandfather and grandfather in an almost illegible scrawl. The letters had lain in a locked trunk for 40 years and in a bank safe-deposit box for 30 more, and all Mr. Ewing knew was that they had been written by William Tecumseh Sherman.

As he began reading, Mr. Ewing, a retired Army historian who lives in Wheaton, Md., realized that the family archive was an unexpected source of new details about a military leader whose friends thought he was irrational and whose enemies thought he was insane.

The letters, often written late at night in his tent, followed Sherman through some of the Civil War's bloodiest battles, including the devastating Union sweep through Georgia in 1864 that he directed. Sherman had been reared by Mr. Ewing's great-grandfather after his own father died, so the correspondence has the emotion of a son's letters home. Long Diatribe on Press

Sherman never had a kind word for war correspondents or newspaper editors, and among the Ewing letters is an 11-page denunciation of the press. Mr. Ewing said it was the longest and most revealing piece Sherman ever wrote on the subject, and some historians who have seen the letters say Sherman's anger reminds them of Gen. William C. Westmoreland, who complained about news coverage in Vietnam and later unsuccessfully sued CBS for libel.

To Sherman, journalists were ''spies'' whose dispatches were ''false, false as hell.'' Still, Sherman was dismayed that they provided the enemy with detailed information on his battle plans.

Sherman was not much kinder to newspaper readers. He called them ''the non-thinking herd,'' adding, ''Vox populi, vox humbug.''

Mr. Ewing said many of Sherman's complaints stemmed from technology that was just becoming widespread in the Civil War.

The newly invented telegraph made it possible for war correspondents' dispatches about preparations for a battle to appear in Northern newspapers before the fighting began. Sherman often complained that the papers were then sent to Confederate operatives before he had a chance to attack.

To halt this flow of information, Sherman banned reporters from traveling with his troops and had one correspondent court-martialed for disobeying.

In other letters in the Ewing collection, the Union general who marched through Atlanta said ''it would be a good thing'' if the Confederate general Robert E. Lee seized Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, just to teach the War Department ''some sense.''

In another letter Sherman said his fellow Union general, Ulysses S. Grant, ''cannot make a speech of five sentences.'' Complained of Poor Discipline

In another, he suggested turning Arkansas into a colony for slaves. And he complained that discipline was higher among Confederate troops than among his own. On April 21, 1864, he wrote, ''So many men want a furlough, and it is like drawing teeth to get them back.''

Mr. Ewing, who is 77 years old, said the letters provided little new information about Sherman. But they round out the image of the irascible general, mounted on his horse, puffing on a cigar, sloppily dressed, quite different from the imposing figure in bronze mounted on a pedestal between the Plaza Hotel and Central Park.

Mr. Ewing, who quoted some of the letters in an article published in the July issue of American Heritage magazine, said he paid little attention to his family's Sherman connection while he was growing up. ''My father would talk about Sherman,'' Mr. Ewing recalled last week. ''We owned a Victrola and I remember hearing 'Marching Through Georgia' when I was young and hearing him talk about Sherman. I remember asking him if he ever talked to Sherman, and he said no, but Sherman had patted his head once when he was a little boy.'' Father Withheld Letters

About 70 years ago, Mr. Ewing said, his father inventoried the 24 letters, but he never published them and never shared them with biographers or scholars. Mr. Ewing did not get around to reading them until after he retired.

In addition to the general's letters, the folder contained such miscellaneous items as a letter from the 16-year-old Sherman acknowledging his appointment to the United States Military Academy at West Point and a page from the academy's conduct reports for February 1839 showing that the young cadet had earned four determits that month.

Sherman wrote the earliest letter in the collection on March 4, 1832, when he was a 12-year-old schoolboy in Lancaster, Ohio. He had yet to master the rules of capitalization and punctuation in the 16-line note to his foster father, Thomas Ewing, who was serving in Washington as a United States Senator.

That note mentioned Senator Ewing's daughter, whom Sherman married in 1850.

Once he became a soldier, the letters show that Sherman saw himself much as historians see him: as a hard-charging, hard-talking character, a soldier who sometimes says more than he means, and in the most direct way possible. ''Abrupt I am, & all military men are,'' he told Mr. Ewing's grandfather.

The early battles of the Civil War, Mr. Ewing said, sharpened Sherman's enmity toward the press.

''I will illustrate why I regard newspaper correspondents as spies,'' Sherman wrote on Feb. 17, 1863. ''A spy is one who furnishes an enemy with knowledge useful to him and dangerous to us. I say in giving intelligence to the enemy, in sowing discord & discontent in an army, these men fulfill all the conditions of spies. I am satisfied they have cost the country hundreds of millions of dollars & brought our country to the brink of ruin & that unless the nuisance is abated we are lost.''

''While they cry about blood & slaughter they are the direct cause of more bloodshed than fifty times their number of armed Rebels,'' he wrote.

The correspondent who defied Sherman's ban on journalists traveling with him was Thomas W. Knox of The New York Herald. At his court-martial, Mr. Knox was found not guilty on a charge that he gave intelligence to the enemy. But he was found guilty of disobeying Sherman's order by accompanying the army down the Mississippi, although the court ''attaches no criminality thereto.'' The tribunal ordered him not to return to the front.

Sherman had the last word. Mr. Knox appealed to President Lincoln, who countermanded the sentence on the condition that Sherman's superior, Grant, agree. Grant did not, turning the matter over to Sherman, ''Come with a sword or musket in your hand, prepared to share with us our fate, and I will welcome you as a brother and associate,'' Sherman wrote. But come as a reporter, he added, ''And my answer is Never!''
A version of this article appears in print on June 21, 1987, Section 1, Page 18 of the National edition with the headline: Sherman Letters Show Civil War General Regarded Reporters as 'Spies'.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Proving that California is not entirely populated by crazies, there was a YUGE Trump Boat Parade on San Diego Bay today. Couldn’t find estimate of size.

Link

Posts: 18353 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they hate America so much why don’t they just leave and move to some other country?

My guess: because it's easier to whine and complain and make a ruckus than it is to actually commit to getting the heck out.

God bless America.

Posts: 13864 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
A suggestion: no matter what state you are in, be sure to vote .

For states like California, don't give up even if you are sure your state will go against Donald Trump.

Don't give the DEMs a talking point about the popular vote without fighting them every inch of the way.

One more suggestion . In the few remaining weeks left before the election, each week contact someone you know and remind them to vote. At least one person each week.

If you influence just one person to vote for Donald Trump, you just doubled your vote in effect.

If you can reach out to more, go for it.

On 4 November, be exhausted. Know you did everything you could to reelect President Trump .

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Disgusting

Because they're not about making anything better, they're about making everyone's lives as miserable as theirs. Shared misery is the goal.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
For states like California, don't give up even if you are sure your state will go against Donald Trump.

Very important indeed.

Even though I am extremely confident Trump will win, and he will not carry blue states such as CA, there are House seats, Senate seats, mayoral seats, governorships, etc. Even in blue states, a national House seat flipped Red is huge, same with the Senate. Gotta vote out these mayors and governors who have done tremendous damage with their shutdowns. Without a doubt, conservative CA voters can do this, still make a big difference.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17156 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:

I never thought of it this way but yes, even though your vote may not win CA for Trump it WILL count in the popular vote total. The closer the popular vote is (or perhaps even a winning total for Trump) the easier it will be to fight the coming battle against the electoral college. In 2016 I swear I read that if the popular vote from CA was excluded the popular vote between the candidates was razor thin.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:
In 2016 I swear I read that if the popular vote from CA was excluded the popular vote between the candidates was razor thin.

2016:
Clinton won California by 4,269,978 votes

Clinton won the overall popular vote by 2,868,686

So if you ignore California, Trump won nationally by 1,401,292 votes

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Donald Trump Jr. @DonaldJTrumpJr

A woman who is third in line to the nuclear codes is saying she was duped by a hair salon...

Let that sink in!!

That will leave razor burn.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32011 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post