SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alcohol Treatment Needed ASAP…
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alcohol Treatment Needed ASAP… Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
If that is the case CIGNA sucks. Do they cover drive through bypass surgeries? They will pay for it in other ways. They will pay for the complications of alcoholism such as liver transplants, pancreatitis etc.

This moment in history be marked ZSM … We absolutely agree!

I know quite well, one of the very first HMO business providers. Made it real clear that abortion is cheaper than pregnancies. Red Face

Cheers to you!

We are still pulling for you Bill!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
In case you need a Plan B, 28 days in Minnesota at Hazelden is highly recommended.

I’ve sent people that I love with all my soul to them.

Sounds interesting, but no way I could afford to travel anywhere right now. Bradford is maybe a mile from my house on the same road I live on, so that will be my best option. If for some reason that fails, I will have to "punt"...

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Sounds interesting, but no way I could afford to travel anywhere right now. Bradford is maybe a mile from my house on the same road I live on, so that will be my best option. If for some reason that fails, I will have to "punt"...

So, it’s 12 hours after your first post. I hope you have called and started the process of getting help. You need help.
My offer that I have made to others -a long term residential program of recovery at no cost- is on the table for you as well, Bill.
It is here in WV; we can find a way to get you here, if need be. So, that barrier is removed.

Bona fides: sober for 10 years, 4 months, 7 days and counting. Program graduate of the very same one that I am offering to you.

So, where will it be?

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Just a few more comments here...

#1: Guys, please don't argue in this thread! This is a thread about acknowledging a problem and getting help; not something anyone should fight about!

#2: My case is not critical; i.e., this isn't a daily problem. I had gone over a week without a drink before over-indulging last night. My biggest issue is that once I start, I get into "just one more sip" mode until I pass out or the alcohol is gone. When I stop drinking for a few days, I have alcohol withdrawal symptoms that are having a significant negative effect on me, and having just had a stroke in June, these symptoms are simply not tolerable!

#3: I have devised a plan and will alter it immediately if needed. Due to the fact that I already have plans to visit my daughter over in GA in about 10 days, and she has already purchased concert tickets for us, I will be under constant/daily scrutiny from my wife to be sure I don't bring any more alcohol into the house, and I never drink outside the house so that should work for the moment. While in GA, my daughter will take over on this oversight. Upon my return, I will enter Bradford's suggested care regime, based upon what they recommend, and what insurance will cover. If they feel I need inpatient care, I will do that. If they feel outpatient will suffice, I will do that also.

Thanks for all of the support!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:

So, it’s 12 hours after your first post. I hope you have called and started the process of getting help. <<snip>>

I have initiated the inquiry with Bradford just down the road from me (maybe a mile from my house), and am awaiting a response regarding insurance costs. Would prefer to stick close to home if possible, for family reasons. I will not rule out WV as an alternate; just not preferred at this moment.

See my other follow-up just above this post for details.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Bill, every plan I ever had didn’t work. All your best ideas have led you to this place, your mind isn’t going to solve this. Withdrawals means physical dependence: a critical case.

I wish you the best. When alcohol has finally pounded you into submission, then you can begin to try doing what those of us have gotten sober did. Doesn’t sound like you’re beat yet.

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Bill, you need not worry about anything other than your health. Best wishes sent to you.

If you think you can get sober on your own, so be it. Very few are able. With these kind of things it’s better to stack the odds in your favor.

The only other outcomes for drunks are insanity, prison or death.

“Half measures avail us nothing.”

If you think your wife can keep you sober, I promise she would’ve done it a long time ago. Get help and if that doesn’t work, try again.

Super common problem with a well-known solution.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradford is fine. I personally know at least five people that attained sobriety there. One did not make it, he died last year.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
I apologize Bill. You are right and this thread is about you and your sobriety alone. Sorry for showing my ass in your thread. God bless.

If Bradford falls through. This is a search engine for the AL Dept of Mental Health if it comes down to getting a bed and getting it NOW. LOTS of options. Cannot vouch for most of them unfortunately. https://mh.alabama.gov/single-...stance-use-disorder/

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Bill, I have read this whole thread. You and I are very similar in the way we can go for lengths without a drink. I’m good to have one, but if I have a second drink (whiskey) the switch is on and I’m getting hammered.
I’m fortunate enough that I have never had withdrawals and I quit buying alcohol, with the exception of the occasional beer.

I wish you the very best and I certainly hope you do follow through with your plan when you come back from vacation. In the RH thread, or maybe another you had mentioned wanted to find sobriety. I promise you, if you get sober and stay that way, after a few months you will truly appreciate it and wonder how the hell you wasted so much time liquored up enough to forget everything good that happened each day you drank.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you Bill. If you are willing to seek help go on and do it, don't worry about concert tickets, or anything else. I sought help before Google was a thing but was still able to figure out how to find one of those anonymous meetings. Turned out to be the solution that worked for me. Email is in my profile, happy to share what has worked for me.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
Good luck to you Bill. If you are willing to seek help go on and do it, don't worry about concert tickets, or anything else. <<snip>>

This is about SOOO much more than just concert tickets; it's about spending an awesome long weekend with my only child who now lives 250 miles away from me! She and my wife have been fully apprised of the situation and my plans, and have fully agreed to hold me accountable daily until after this trip is done. I don't crave alcohol enough to defy this daily accountability... it's only after I have started drinking that I cannot stop. Simply not bringing any home really hasn't been THAT big of an issue, especially if I know I'm being watched!

With their help, plus my follow-up with Bradford (or another respectable treatment facility), I have little doubt I will put this sad chapter of my life behind me, once and for all. Thanks!

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dkjbama:
I apologize Bill. You are right and this thread is about you and your sobriety alone. Sorry for showing my ass in your thread. God bless.

If Bradford falls through. This is a search engine for the AL Dept of Mental Health if it comes down to getting a bed and getting it NOW. LOTS of options. Cannot vouch for most of them unfortunately. https://mh.alabama.gov/single-...stance-use-disorder/

No worries. I didn't take your post like others did, but only an honest offer to help. I will keep you in mind if I need further assistance that I believe you can provide. I am often in the Florence area anyway as I have family just north of the city in the St Florian community. Thanks!

Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Good Luck Bill!!

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Bill i wish the best for you. Sounds like you know you have issues and imo thats the best start to turning yourself around. Good luck and stay strong.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
One thing I will say, this is 100% in my experience: the people who got out of rehab with me and did AA (or NA), stayed sober and our lives keep getting better. The people who did their month and did not do AA who I’ve kept up with all relapsed, every last one. If you look at this as the first step in something you will have to do every day for the rest of your life, then you cannot fail. If you go into this thinking they will somehow teach you how to drink, or rehab zaps the alcoholism away, I have to tell you that it doesn’t work that way. Maybe for a period of time, you’ll manage to stay sober on your own, but eventually, the disease will get in your ear and have you convinced that it was t really all that bad and you’ve learned your lesson. That will happen, sure as I’m sitting here typing.

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Best of luck Bill. I admire your courage. Stay well and knock this out!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[
Thanks for all of the support![/QUOTE]

You are welcome, sir. With the greatest respect, I wish you well!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sir, I really admire some one that can make the decision seek help. Keep in mind the motivations the brought you to this decision through the bad times. You sound highly motivated to succeed. Keep being motivated to succeed and you will. Knock it out of the park man!

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Based on my first hand experience, smudge offers very wise advise.

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
One thing I will say, this is 100% in my experience: the people who got out of rehab with me and did AA (or NA), stayed sober and our lives keep getting better. The people who did their month and did not do AA who I’ve kept up with all relapsed, every last one. If you look at this as the first step in something you will have to do every day for the rest of your life, then you cannot fail. If you go into this thinking they will somehow teach you how to drink, or rehab zaps the alcoholism away, I have to tell you that it doesn’t work that way. Maybe for a period of time, you’ll manage to stay sober on your own, but eventually, the disease will get in your ear and have you convinced that it was t really all that bad and you’ve learned your lesson. That will happen, sure as I’m sitting here typing.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post