SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Drug dealers would face manslaughter charges for opioid overdoses under proposed Florida law
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drug dealers would face manslaughter charges for opioid overdoses under proposed Florida law Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Drug dealers would face manslaughter charges for opioid overdoses under proposed Florida law

I understand why they feel the need to take action, considering how many fools are killing themselves with narcotics, and someone may actually be convicted under this law, but I don't think it's going to stop anyone from buying or selling this stuff if they want to do so.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Agreed. All the other threats to reduce overdoses do not work. Why should this one?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Drug dealers would face manslaughter charges for opioid overdoses under proposed Florida law

I understand why they feel the need to take action, considering how many fools are killing themselves with narcotics, and someone may actually be convicted under this law, but I don't think it's going to stop anyone from buying or selling this stuff if they want to do so.

Does this mean a bunch of doctors and pharmacists are going to the pokey when Aunt B OD's on oxy?

Posts: 5226 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Good luck linking the dealer to the dope used to OD. Especially if the dead guy had a history of opiate abuse.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Last time I checked, criminals were criminals because they don't care about the law. So long as there is demand for intoxicants, there will be people ready, able, and available to sell them regardless what laws politicians put in place.

This strikes me more as a "see, we're doing something" about a real problem here in Florida by politicians already looking toward reelection.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Another knee jerk/feel good reaction by politicians.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
What's next?
Sportbike dealers face manslaughter charges for crotchrocket motorcycle deaths.
Gun Dealers face manslaughter charges for suicides.
McDonalds faces manslaughter charges for people cardiac arrests.

Drug dealers can already be arrested. Why do more charges to throw at them matter? It is wrong to shift the blame for one persons stupid decisions to someone else.

The opinions expressed in no way reflect the stance or opinion of my employer.

Posts: 5446 | Location: Stationed in Kitsap Washington w/ the USN | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Just what we need, another law.

Posts: 1850 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by domcintosh:
What's next?
Sportbike dealers face manslaughter charges for crotchrocket motorcycle deaths.
Gun Dealers face manslaughter charges for suicides.
If there were a huge spike in deaths related to those things, it would be a fair comparison to the opioid epidemic, and 'epidemic' is most assuredly the correct way to characterize what's going on right now in this country with narcotics.

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass if someone kills their self with drugs, accidentally or intentionally, but I am not a state legislator with constituents contacting me to do something about it, whether anything can be done or not.

posted Hide Post
If the threat of immediate death is no deterrence, another law wont be either.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Selling drugs is illegal, so lets make it more illegal! Doubleplus illegal!

Clearly this method isn't working, so perhaps we should try and come at the problem from another direction?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17084 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Again, you have people in a position to "do something" being urged to "do something" about the opioid epidemic.

Let's hear your alternate suggestions. If you had to "do something" about this, what would you do? Let's be realistic. What would you do? If your response is "nothing", don't bother. I'm wondering what better solutions members here think they may have.

Punishing the source is not that nutty of an idea, is it? If not this, what, then?

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doubleplus illegal

Indeed.

I'm not sure what's more sad, that such simpletons (the lawmakers) either don't get the absurdity and ineffectual nature of such measures or they just don't care.

All show, no go. Pure governance theatre.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Caught selling drugs? Execution. That would make a few people think.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5564 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
How about a mandantory 15 yr no parole sentence for selling opiods.

Posts: 4445 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It's logical enough, especially given all the fentanyl (sp?) being used to cut the heroin. If you add it to your dope, you're not just being busted for selling dope - you're also being busted for the separate act of adding something to your dope that makes your dope highly likely to kill immediately.

The fun part is that someone is going to have to prove that the dealer who gets busted actually added the stuff to the dope or knew that the stuff was added to the dope. I'm not a criminal lawyer and I don't play one on TV, but that's gotta be tough to do unless someone rolls over on a supplier who's big enough to be the one cutting the dope.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think it's going to stop anyone from buying or selling this stuff if they want to do so.

I agree... AND prisons nationwide are full anyway. I doubt Florida is any different. More prison sentences just mean more prisoners released early because of overcrowding.

We need to do something but I don't think this is it.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Most likely its an addition to be able to charge those caught doing it with a more aggressive penalty that can't be done now.

FL has a shitton of illegal pill mills, much of the oxy problem in Appalachia and other impoverished areas is historically fed by south fl pill mills.

Posts: 24231 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
We need to do something but I don't think this is it.
What we need to do is let these fools keep killing themselves with this stuff, preferably before they breed.
That's my solution. Let society cleanse itself. But, again, I am not a state legislator. Can you imagine if some state official came out and said his solution to this epidemic is the one I just described? They'd be out of office within two days.

posted Hide Post
They call this a drug war. Treat it like one. Either Mexico stops it or we send our troops in and wipe out the cartels.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post