SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Drug dealers would face manslaughter charges for opioid overdoses under proposed Florida law
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drug dealers would face manslaughter charges for opioid overdoses under proposed Florida law Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uptime:
Most people know about Percocet which is prescribed by a doctor but they are unaware that it contains opoid. This happened to me after having back surgery. It wasn't until then that I realized that I was getting a narcotic. I had bowel problems which lasted for weeks.

Oxycodone (opoid) has street names of "hillbilly heroin" and "perks". It is similar to Heroin. Bad stuff.

What did you think they put in it???

Posts: 7403 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Hasn't worked yet, and we have people doing 20 years + to life for mid level dealing. We just can't punish our way out of this. It's been tried and failed.

And we can't even get the death penalty to stick for murderers. You think it's going to be made to stick for drug dealers? And IIRC, there's legal precedent that the death penalty can only be applied for murder convictions.

quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Seems to me that the only way to stop this epidemic is to make the penalties so harsh that the dealers are scared to deal that shit.

Mandatory death penalties might do it, but only if the sentence was always promptly carried out.

None of this 20 years on death row BS.

Tried, if guilty sentenced, one appeal, and give them the needle.

The money to be made by the pushers is so much that these slap on the wrist penalties do nothing to stop the trade.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Folks here simply don't understand that outside of the US, (i.e. Mexico, Central America etc.) the value of human life is just about nil.

Think about that ... you're an captive/poor drug mule who (pick your gang affiliation, e.g. Sinaloa cartel or MS13, etc.) has your family and they give you your package to smuggle across the southern border.

Furthermore you now have to get it distributed across the US… There's an entire network of similar kinds of folks doing with they need to do to survive and not bring down a horror of violence upon their loved ones. No new US legislation is going to change their behavior.

You must deal with the demand, not the supply. It is a logic flaw to think that more supply equals more users… I have not seen a study that shows such correlation. Think about that, would you start using heroin if it showed up on your doorstep? Likely not.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Folks here simply don't understand that outside of the US, (i.e. Mexico, Central America etc.) the value of human life is just about nil.

Think about that ... you're an captive/poor drug mule who (pick your gang affiliation, e.g. Sinaloa cartel or MS13, etc.) has your family and they give you your package to smuggle across the southern border.

Furthermore you now have to get it distributed across the US… There's an entire network of similar kinds of folks doing with they need to do to survive and not bring down a horror of violence upon their loved ones. No new US legislation is going to change their behavior.

You must deal with the demand, not the supply. It is a logic flaw to think that more supply equals more users… I have not seen a study that shows such correlation. Think about that, would you start using heroin if it showed up on your doorstep? Likely not.

Secure the border and it will slow down supply quite a bit. Yes they can use planes and boats, but those cost a heck of a lot more money than several people on foot or a vehicle.

I agree demand is the issue, but the problem lies on 3 fronts. If the price was 10x higher it would stop at least half of the people from trying it, if supply was a lot less it would drive up price and keep some from trying it, but trying to get demand down is the big issue.

I honestly think it's the millenials being babied their whole life. (I have two little brothers 25 and 27). They have NO coping skills, no man skills, and every little issue in life is a big problem with them. Basically they've been babied so much, that they can't cope with life.....this group seems to use one drug or the other drug or another drug to solve all of their problems.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post