SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Notable foods from your city
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Notable foods from your city Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Well, I found that Dickey's BBQ is a Dallas entity, and It's where I go for BBQ. Their ribs just fall off the bone, and the green beans and jalapeno beans are also very good. They are one of the few places in town that have chocolate meringue pie, too.

I'm sure that there are other Dallasites who will extol their favorite BBQ places as better than Dickey's, and they may be right, but they are not located anywhere near me. My church friends like Spring Creek BBQ, but their meat is not done enough for me--I prefer Dickey's.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Not a particular dish but seafood; mostly salmon and halibut like no other. That and reindeer sausage.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Not a particular dish but seafood; mostly salmon and halibut like no other. That and reindeer sausage.

Reindeer sausage omelette at Gwenny's?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post

Baby back ribs, Memphis style.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Well, I found that Dickey's BBQ is a Dallas entity, and It's where I go for BBQ. Their ribs just fall off the bone, and the green beans and jalapeno beans are also very good. They are one of the few places in town that have chocolate meringue pie, too.

I'm sure that there are other Dallasites who will extol their favorite BBQ places as better than Dickey's, and they may be right, but they are not located anywhere near me. My church friends like Spring Creek BBQ, but their meat is not done enough for me--I prefer Dickey's.

flashguy

I have never eaten at a Dickey's but I have my reservations about chain barbecue places. It just takes a lot of personal attention and know-how to get barbecue right. Still, even fair barbeque is pretty good.

But you are right about Spring Creek BBQ - it is terrible.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Dickeys tried it in CFL, location near us (in a Wal-Mart supercenter area) didn't make it, traffic wasn't the problem, average Q was. Went there a couple of times, it was ok. We do have some rather good Q places, 4Rivers BBQ is significantly better...

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dickey's tried it in Tucson also, but didn't last very long....at least the one I tried. I didn't care for it at all, but I am a Bar-B-Que snob and know what good is supposed to taste like.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
Dickey's tried it in Tucson also, but didn't last very long....at least the one I tried. I didn't care for it at all, but I am a Bar-B-Que snob and know what good is supposed to taste like.
I would not be considered a BBQ snob or even a devoteé. I don't even use BBQ sauce on mine. Dickey's is just fine for me.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We eat the foods that taste good to US!! Everyone is a bit different in their likes and dislikes. That is what makes the World go round.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would not be considered a BBQ snob or even a devoteé. I don't even use BBQ sauce on mine. Dickey's is just fine for me.

flashguy

You are a barbeque snob, and don't even know it. All the true Texas barbecue lovers know sauce is not only not needed on good barbecue, but just disguises bad 'cue. People who go on about how good the sauce is are revealing their ignorance.

The worst insult you can lay on a Texas barbecue brisket is, "Needs sauce."

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

flashguy

You are a barbeque snob, and don't even know it. All the true Texas barbecue lovers know sauce is not only not needed on good barbecue, but just disguises bad 'cue. People who go on about how good the sauce is are revealing their ignorance.

The worst insult you can lay on a Texas barbecue brisket is, "Needs sauce."
O. K. Correction accepted.

flashguy

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

Might you have a recommendation for a company that ships fresh-frozen salmon and halibut from Alaska. Seems like it’s become harder to buy good salmon down here and we like it a lot.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
City wise we have two specialties. Pueblo chilis for whatever you wish to use. Green chili mainly. We also have a large Italian population here who grow most of the green chili and a couple of places do a decent sausage grinder. Passkey being the best. A local Italian market here you can get some of the best things Italian. Gagliano's Market is a local treasure. 50 miles down the road we have Rocky Ford cantaloupe, and on the western slope we have Olathe sweet corn. When these two items are in season look out. Really good.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They say the food that Las Vegas made famous is the buffet.

"Evil can never be dead enough" Brevard County, Fla., sheriff Wayne Ivey

Posts: 83 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: April 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Houston - Fajitas, Ninfa Lorenzo is credited with 1st making Fajitas available in her Ninfa's restaurant on the east side.

I grew up in the 70's and my dad would grill fajitas, after some hours of marinating. I grew up near South Houston/Pasadena so that means you grill in the front yard.

Fajitas, were the cheap beef cut that Hispanics could afford. Were dirt cheap back then, then Ninfa made them famous! dang it!

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
I live near Springfield and we la claim to some really unhealthy, but good foods. The first in the Corn Dog or Cozy Dog as we call it. Invented here. As well as the Horse Shoe sandwich. It is two pieces of Texas toast add meat of your choice. Top it off with french fries and liquid cheese sauce. Oh and we have the 8th ranked Chili Parlor in the US here as well. They make Chili that will burn you all the way through, but still taste good!

I grew up in Springfield! Ha ha! Funny Fact, Steak N Shake in Springfield actually have Horseshoe and ponyshoes on their menu....but not in other cities.

Posts: 1349 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Richmond VA has contributed the Sailor sandwich.

this was my Dad's favorite sandwich,

we also have Sauer's

https://sauers.com/

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
There is a beverage made here and sold primarily in the "Tri-Cities" area.

[picture of Dr. Enuf]

It is "in-between" a soft drink and an energy drink tasting somewhat like Mountain Dew.

My wife loves that soda.
When ever we visit my father in law she buys a case and we bring it back to Florida.
When ever he visits he has to bring her some.

It is good stuff, but I rarely if ever drink it, preferring to limit my intake of caffeine and sugar. (To the best of my knowledge, Dr. Enuf's is cane sugar, not HFCS.) I get my daily limit of caffeine from my morning coffee. Big Grin

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjtnova:
quote:
Originally posted by Patriot:
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
Cheesesteaks, hoagies and soft pretzels.

Adding Scrapple to this list…

And tastykakes and Goldberg peanut chews, someone already mentioned pork roll and cheese and a Jersey guy claimed bagels so I’ll him have that Wink

A little outside of Philly but I'll add Birch Beer to the list. I pick up a few 12 packs of Pennsylvania Dutch whenever I visit mom.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:

The pork roll, egg and cheese on a hard roll breakfast sandwich.
Ya gotta know the trick, though. Scoop out some of the bread to make the roll more of a clamshell. Bonus points if the deli owner is scooping out the roll and eating it with ungloved hands while making your sandwich and talking with you.

Hoagies - Order one at 10am when the joint will be calm. Hot sandwich? - Italian roast pork with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post