SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Notable foods from your city
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Notable foods from your city Login/Join 
Picture of p08
posted
I live near Springfield and we la claim to some really unhealthy, but good foods. The first in the Corn Dog or Cozy Dog as we call it. Invented here. As well as the Horse Shoe sandwich. It is two pieces of Texas toast add meat of your choice. Top it off with french fries and liquid cheese sauce. Oh and we have the 8th ranked Chili Parlor in the US here as well. They make Chili that will burn you all the way through, but still taste good!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Barbecue.

So much so that they have a festival each year.

http://www.bbqontheriver.org/

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Sonoran Hot Dog. Originated in Hermosillo, the capital of the Mexican state of Sonora, in the late 1980s.

It consists of a hot dog that is wrapped in bacon and grilled, served on a bolillo-style hot dog bun, and topped with pinto beans, onions, tomatoes, and a variety of additional condiments, often including mayonnaise, mustard, and jalapeño salsa.

The Sonoran hot dog is prepared and sold by vendors called "dogueros" at street carts. It was estimated in 2009 that over 200 places in Tucson purvey the Sonoran hot dog, and that Phoenix has even more.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Alaska and Canada, every trip to Houston I insisted on getting BBQ (typically two meat plate with brisket and sausage) and cajun (typically grilled oysters and blackened redfish with a sauce). If I was there a 3rd night, I'd be heading to Lupe Tortilla for queso, a margarita, shrimp brochette (bacon wrapped shrimp stuffed with jalapeno and cheese), and beef fajitas.

There are two reasons Houston routinely ranks the unhealthiest city in the country. Delicious food and God awful heat & humidity. We sit around in the AC like veal and fatten up on delicious food. A much wider genre of foods than the stereotypes about Texas.

For example, we have the best Chinatown/Asiatown in Texas. My buddy is a first generation American and came to Houston from Singapore. He usually invites a group out to eat and orders family style for the table (i.e. I have not idea what I'm eating but it's delicious) and we go to Malaysian, dim sum, Vietnamese, Thai, Korean BBQ, etc. The foodie website, eater, just had an article on the Essential 20 Asiatown Restaurants.Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like the latest craze is Korean Korndogs and there was a continual 50+ person line the last time I was in Chinatown.

For years, Houston was a BBQ wasteland full of the mediocre. In the last 10 or 12 years, that has changed and we have two BBQ joints in the last Texas Monthly Top Ten and five more 11 thru 50. The other BBQ change I've witnessed is that BBQ joints turning out quality pork ribs and pulled pork (don't worry, they're still churning out amazing brisket and sausage).

Lots of Louisiana influence (oil & gas people who worked in LA plus people from LA who moved here) here too so amazing cajun and creole foods. I'm partial to the grilled Oysters and they're different than Oysters Rockefeller.

We're on the Gulf coast so lots of seafood. My favorite Gulf Coast seafood is redfish.

It's Texas so lots of steak, chicken fried steak, Tex-Mex, breakfast tacos/burritos, pecan pie (we're one of the largest Pecan growing states), etc.

Some of the original Texas settlers were Czech and German so one of the delicious breakfast treats are Kolaches (I'm partial to the jalapeno sausage cheese Kolaches). Lots of brewpubs too.

Lots of southern and soul food as well.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
The Seattle Hot Dog ...

...served with cream cheese, sauteed onions, jalapenos and sauerkraut.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/...tle-hot-dogs-4773446

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Nothing here really that I can think of, other than maybe Rocky Mountain oysters, but I've lived in or been through places that have great local fare.

Poutine in Kingston, Ontario. Probably not where it originated but it was the first place I ever had it in a little diner on frigidly cold snowy winter night. Pure stick-to-your-ribs goodness.

And Binghamton (NY) spiedies deserve a mention as well. Grilled marinated chicken (lamb is better) on Italian bread. Very tasty.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
You guys have some good eats.

Sadly, all we have to offer is Lefse. Please pray for me.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Turkey legs.

As they say over in town, "Gobble gobble, b*tches." Big Grin

- - - - - - -

What do you do with Lefse?

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
And Binghamton (NY) spiedies deserve a mention as well. Grilled marinated chicken (lamb is better) on Italian bread. Very tasty.

Oh, yes. Smile

There was a fine establishment (the Number 5) that had vendors outside at closing time that grilled those, at least back in the mid-80s. Survived the weekends on those. Smile

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:

What do you do with Lefse?

Lemme see. Fish soaked in lie. Hmmmm.

Throw it out?

At least I've never wacked a seal in the head...

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Lemme see. Fish soaked in lie. Hmmmm.

Throw it out?

Sounds fair.
I'm sorry you have to deal with that.... Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indianapolis has Bean Soup and the Big Fried Pork Tenderloin Sandwich. And I suppose the St. Elmo's Shrimp Cocktail.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived most of my life in Maryland, so I'll say crab cakes.

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Louisville's Brown Hotel claims to have invented the Hot Brown. And I am forever grateful. Smile

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Richmond VA has contributed the Sailor sandwich.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid growing up in Rochester, N.Y. we had Zweigel's white hots.

Posts: 590 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
California burrito. (San Diego area circa 1988-ish)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Sonoran Hot Dog. Originated in Hermosillo, the capital of the Mexican state of Sonora, in the late 1980s.

It consists of a hot dog that is wrapped in bacon and grilled, served on a bolillo-style hot dog bun, and topped with pinto beans, onions, tomatoes, and a variety of additional condiments, often including mayonnaise, mustard, and jalapeño salsa.

The Sonoran hot dog is prepared and sold by vendors called "dogueros" at street carts. It was estimated in 2009 that over 200 places in Tucson purvey the Sonoran hot dog, and that Phoenix has even more.

I love these Hot Dogs!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I am from New Jersey and I now live in Florida, so
Bagels.
Pizza.
Knips rolls, from a local bakery. Every 7/11 store had a basket at the checkout and they were buttered.
Fresh seafood right off the boat.
Fresh baked bread that taste like bread.
Diner food any Diner food.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Cheesesteaks, hoagies and soft pretzels.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post