SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Notable foods from your city
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Notable foods from your city Login/Join 
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Nashville Hot Chicken.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Perception,

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not from where I am now but where I grew up and was born (Muscatine, Iowa).
It was created and invented in 1926 in my hometown a year before my father was born in 1926.

The Maid-Rite ~ loose hamburger sandwich.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Cincinnati is my current hometown [NYC born] so...

Cincinnati Chili

Goetta

So are you actually saying you like Skyline chili? The taste was awful to me. Ginger does not belong in chili!

Delicious [with lots of hot sauce!].

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
quote:
Cincinnati is my current hometown [NYC born] so...

Cincinnati Chili

Goetta

So are you actually saying you like Skyline chili? The taste was awful to me. Ginger does not belong in chili!

Delicious [with lots of hot sauce!].

I suppose it's what you grew up with. If you like hot chili and are in Springfield IL go eat the Fire Brand and get your name on the wall at the Chili Parlor AKA the Den. They were on Man vs Food and the host only lasted 2-3 bowls before it almost killed him!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Not from where I am now but where I grew up and was born (Muscatine, Iowa).
It was created and invented in 1926 in my hometown a year before my father was born in 1926.

Maybe a precursor of the sloppy joe:

“Some attribute the original Sloppy Joe to a cafe in Sioux City, Iowa, where, many years ago, in 1930 a cook named Joe added tomato sauce to his “loose meat” sandwiches. Voila: a new between-the-bread offering, and the sandwich's official name…”
https://blog.blueapron.com/a-h...ry-of-the-sloppy-jo/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8938 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now I want to take a road trip!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8337 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Locally, the town I was born in (Norristown, PA about 20 miles from Philly) is famous for their ZEP

What is a Zep you say? Well it's sort of a cousin to the Italian Hoagie but was something that came out of Norristown in the early 20th century:

It is:

---A good roll (Conshohocken Italian Bakery is good) Can be a long (hoagie) roll or a round
(Kaiser) roll. I prefer a long roll
---Oil
---Oregano
---Cooked Salami (never hard salami or Capicola like a hoagie usually has)
---Provolone cheese
---THICK slices of juicy tomato
---THICK, cut-to-order slices of mild Bermuda onion
---Hoagie spread, which is a relish of chopped pickled hot cherry peppers
---NEVER any lettuce like a hoagie

That is it. They are DELICIOUS!

Much like Philly has their rivalry between Pat's and Geno's with the cheesesteaks, the two main rivals in Norristown for Zeps are Eve's Lunch and Lou's.

I grew up on Eve's:

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't know of anything Dallas is noted for, but Waco is the originator of Dr. Pepper and San Antonio is where Fritos began.

The city I grew up in, Detroit, Michigan, is where Vernor's ginger ale originated (and is still the best).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john1:
When I was a kid growing up in Rochester, N.Y. we had Zweigel's white hots.

When I was in Rochester for work training a couple of times, I always looked for those and a genuine Rochester Garbage Plate too!

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
In the KC Metro Jack Stack BBQ is King!

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3922 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
I'm currently a Jersey guy, so I gotta put this out there...

The pork roll, egg and cheese on a hard roll breakfast sandwich.

Pork roll was developed in 1856 by John Taylor of Trenton, and sold as "Taylor's Prepared Ham" until 1906. Other producers entered the market, and subsequent food labeling regulations required Taylor to designate it as "pork roll" alongside its competitors. In regions of North and Central Jersey, all brands of pork roll may be referred to colloquially as "Taylor Ham".

I grew up on Porkroll too, and in the Philly area it was always that and never Taylor Ham. Always one word too; "Porkroll"

This may be controversial but I actually prefer that to bacon or sausage as my breakfast meat of choice!

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by OKCGene:
About 20 minutes west, the Oklahoma Onion Burger. It was invented in the Great Depression years as a way to stretch the meat. Properly done, the onions are sliced super thin and mashed into the grill then the hamburger meat mashed over that.

If you’re traveling on I-40 you just have to stop in El Reno and get one.
.[/QUOTE

This ^^^^ is for true!!! I have consumed a large number of them during my younger years.

Posts: 6614 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
In the KC Metro Jack Stack BBQ is King!

That looks delicious! Had sweet potato fries in Memphis, but they put powdered sugar on top. OMG were those good!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Maybe a precursor of the sloppy joe:

“Some attribute the original Sloppy Joe to a cafe in Sioux City, Iowa, where, many years ago, in 1930 a cook named Joe added tomato sauce to his “loose meat” sandwiches. Voila: a new between-the-bread offering, and the sandwich's official name…”
https://blog.blueapron.com/a-h...ry-of-the-sloppy-jo/

Perhaps, the Maid-Rite is much dryer and actually pretty dammed good , I much prefer it over a 'sloppy' version.
It's not just loose but has some great seasoning in it too. Cool

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Houston doesn't really have any single, signature food. But it is a city with so many ethnicities that there are more good restaurants of more different kinds than almost any other place I can think of.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
From Waukesha, WI:

“Eat this now: Ponza Rotta from Jimmy's Grotto
If you grew up in or near Waukesha, you are well aware of this delicious, addictive gut bomb.

For 75 years, Jimmy’s Grotto, 314 E. Main St., has cranked out homemade pizzas, earning itself the title of Waukesha’s Oldest Pizza Restaurant and, arguably more famously, Home of the Ponza Rotta.

jimmy's grotto
The Ponza Rotta is basically a large deep fried calzone, stuffed with sauce, cheese, and meats and vegetables of the customer’s choice. The original co-owner of Jimmy’s Grotta, Rosie Ruccia, invented the ponza recipe in the 1940s and eventually shared it with others so it is still used to create the decadent savory pastries today.

The current owners, Kelly Renner and Jonathan Colla, purchased the restaurant in September of 2020 from Renner's parents, Doug and Holly Ciampa.

"If you like pizza then a ponza is an amazing treat. The flavor and custom dough recipe being deep fried is a taste like no other," says Renner.”

Click here for pic and the whole story

Posts: 10914 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Corn Flakes? Although not much currently, as Kellogg's workers are on strike.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’m from Tampa originally. Huge Cuban population there.

When I think of Tampa I think of Cuban sandwiches…some people make them differently but anyway you get them they are good.

The bread is what makes it…and only Cuban bread will do.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
San Antonio is where Fritos began.
flashguy

Not to derail this thread, but I love Frito Chili Pie. I just made a huge pot of chili and of course I added Fritos to the bowl of chili. Good stuff. I grew up on this stuff.

Try it. Add Fritos to your bowl of chili. Toppings are good, take your pick and add as you wish: chopped onions, a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese, jalapenos, whatever you want.

One can also take a small bag, the individual serving size, cut one of the sides off, open it up to make a container, and ladle in the chili. Hold in hand, and enjoy it. This was a staple of all the school and sporting events when I grew up, and still is. That, and a cup of Hot Dr Pepper, warmed you up in cold weather. Yes, you can heat up Dr Pepper, it's actually quite good when hot.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yocco’s Hot Dogs, “The Hot Dog King”.

(Yocco's was founded in 1922 by Theodore Iacocca, uncle of Lee Iacocca.)

“In 1922 a young Italian immigrant named Theodore Iacocca opened up a small cigar and convenience store known as “Liberty Grille” at 711 Liberty Street, in the heart of Allentown. The story goes; a beautiful woman entered one day and approached Theodore asking whether or not the store sold hot dogs, he told her that they did not. “Too bad.” she said and walked out the door with a wink. The next day he bought a grill and some A&B hot dogs and began selling them to his customers. He never saw the beautiful woman again but from that day forward Liberty Grille was known for one thing, its dogs, offering lunch-time appeasements to local, hungry factory workers.

The name Yocco’s initially came about because the area’s residents, being predominantly of Dutch descent, had difficulty pronouncing I-a-coc-ca and instead pronounced it Yo-co-ca. Liberty Grille quickly became known as "Mr. Yocco's Place". While visiting Italy in the 40's, his sons Julie and Albert paintedYocco's on the large window out front; name has stuck ever since. Over the years Yocco’s has introduced many other items as well; such as steak sandwiches, hamburgers, fries, pierogies, and sausage sandwiches; but the hot dogs are still number one.

Perhaps the greatest reason for Yocco's success has been the Secret Sauce. This slightly tangy, meat-based chili sauce has adorned the hot dogs, cheese steaks, burgers, and more for over 90 years using the same recipe created by Theodore in the 20’s. Gary, the third generation owner and his son Chris, still make the secret concoction several times a week to keep up with demand.”

Their hot dogs, cheesesteaks and pierogis are pretty good.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post