SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Business I've been patronizing for 22 years no longer accepting cash
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Business I've been patronizing for 22 years no longer accepting cash Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many cashiers in some of these places act totally lost, when they have to deal with cash, even when the computer screen tells them how much changes to give back to the customer. A most basic skill was never learned or totally forgotten. Sad.

^^^^^^^^^^
Never taught in most cases. Many millenials cannot do math without a calculator. Older folks have no trouble.

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Never taught in most cases. Many millenials cannot do math without a calculator. Older folks have no trouble.

In my experience, many millenials can't do math with a calculator either.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
n my experience, many millenials can't do math with a calculator either.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah they went to public school. LOL

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Maybe I am missing something here but. "Legal tender" states United States coins and currency [including Federal Reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal Reserve Banks and national banks] are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes and dues. "This statute means that all U.S. money as identified above is valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor.

I understand there is no federal statute that a private business, a person or organization must accept currency but seems they want to have their cake and eat it too.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

In my experience, many millenials can't do math with a calculator either.

Math? Lulz

Hell, they can’t do basic arithmetic!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I guess you aren't entitled to complain about things you don't like?

Yeah, I know: complaining about people complaining; makes no sense, huh? Wink

But this is a discussion forum and one of things that happens here is that people respond to other people’s comments, including their complaints. Smile

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47413 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
was she hot?

Dude - she was from Brazil and had $860K in hand. How much hotter can she be? No pic needed.

quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
Cash is king!! My wife's AC went out in her minivan. I gave the lady at the dealer 8 one hundred
dollar bills. She let out a yell, I'll have to go to the bank!! Not my worry. Sucks to be you.

Technically, it seems it sucked more to be YOU at that moment.... Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12440 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spend your money wherever they accommodate you . This reminds me of the bakery that didn't want to provide a cake for a gay wedding .Let capitalism work . If a business does not want cash , it's THEIR choice . Move on .

Posts: 4068 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I don't really care either way. I've had a retail business for a long time, and I've seen the use of cash dwindle. Debit cards are a large majority of business now. I have no problem taking in cash, but I can see how it would be a pain for a business that rarely takes it.

I do want to address a few issues brought up througout this thread:

1. If you don't want to buy things on credit, cash is not the only alternative. A debit card or prepaid VISA works just as well. The smartest way is probably to use a credit card and pay it full each month, or simply pay it as soon as you charge it. Phone apps make this super easy. And you get the protection of the credit card.

2. I don't like the government telling me I have to use traceable means of payment. But a prepaid VISA gets around that as well, I think.

3. If we get to a barter economy, there is nothing better than ammo, IMHO!

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well1147:
This is the new norm within 3 years maybe less 90% of all private and public purchases will be digital

I'm not so sure - the tax man drives commerce underground.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3930 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

1. If you don't want to buy things on credit, cash is not the only alternative. A debit card or prepaid VISA works just as well. The smartest way is probably to use a credit card and pay it full each month, or simply pay it as soon as you charge it. Phone apps make this super easy. And you get the protection of the credit card.

I can’t speak for anyone else but there is a specific reason I pay cash and even though I didn’t know it at the time I started doing it 25 years ago several studies have supported my reasons. I’m sure plenty of people have their own individual reasons that just paying off your card every month doesn’t cover.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post