SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Business I've been patronizing for 22 years no longer accepting cash
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Business I've been patronizing for 22 years no longer accepting cash Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
You need to use cash at the Illinois Marijuana dispensaries. No credit cards or checks. They have armed guards.

Posts: 17279 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Does this mean you are opposed to a debit card for your checking account - if you have one?

Watch some Frank Abignale vids on YouTube.

Writing checks and using debit cards are silly .

Not now, not ever

Only enough in checking to keep it open to cash checks.

That's right, igi in to the bank two or three times a month.

Life is almost easier when you are close to broke.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54695 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Does this mean you are opposed to a debit card for your checking account - if you have one?

Watch some Frank Abignale vids on YouTube.

Writing checks and using debit cards are silly .

Not now, not ever

Only enough in checking to keep it open to cash checks.

That's right, igi in to the bank two or three times a month.

Life is almost easier when you are close to broke.

What Frank Abagnale he says is, don’t use your own damn money.

Use credit cards… I.e. other peoples money. Every single time.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I left the over priced glasses shops years ago, I get my free exam (with insurance) and buy several pairs from Zenni each year for a whole lot less. Can't do that with cash though

Posts: 5350 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
The same group of people who think not using cash is great tends to be the same group of people upset that they're about to start seeing 1099s in the mail.

Keep digging that hole for yourselves, the government appreciates it. So much easier to analyze and control every aspect of your lives with that handy paper trail.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15729 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
I've offered numerous times to pay small businesses via cash or check but they are just as happy to accept electronic despite the fees they are charged. Haircuts, landscaping, home improvements (gutters, electrician, etc).

Dunno why they aren't pleased to avoid the 2 or 3% fee it costs.

Posts: 9482 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I think the practice of no longer accepting cash has to do with today's work force.

A questionable employee could make out with a pillow case full of cash by the end of the day and never be heard of again. It happens.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6143 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Frank Abagnale he says is, don’t use your own damn money.

Use credit cards… I.e. other peoples money. Every single time."

Yep

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54695 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I don’t know if it’s a thing...

It is most definitely a thing, as it has prompted a few states to pass laws forcing businesses to accept cash:
Paying With Cash? Retailers Must Take Your Dollars in These States.

It has also prompted Congress to introduce the "Payment Choice Act" to force businesses nationwide to accept cash. The bill has passed the House and is waiting on action from the Senate:
It May Soon Be Illegal For Businesses to Refuse Cash: An Update on the Payment Choice Act

I think businesses should be allowed to make their own decisions about what payments they accept and let the market decide, but I guess we will see if this law passes.

Personally, I usually carry around either a $20 bill or a $100 bill and never use them. I got a $100 bill back in April or May and it's still in my wallet, untouched. I've written 2 checks this year and it was just because my plumber prefers checks over cards. Otherwise it's all online/electronice payment or debit/credit card.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
I've offered numerous times to pay small businesses via cash or check but they are just as happy to accept electronic despite the fees they are charged. Haircuts, landscaping, home improvements (gutters, electrician, etc).

Dunno why they aren't pleased to avoid the 2 or 3% fee it costs.

Because it's worth it to them to not have to account for cash and either store it or make daily trips to the bank to deposit it.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think businesses should be allowed to make their own decisions about what payments they accept and let the market decide,

I agree to the extent of foreign currency, checks, credit cards, debit cards, money orders, wire transfers, barter, etc.

I don't agree when it comes to cash. "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private". If you're transacting business within the US, using US banks, in US dollars, then you should be required to accept US currency.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15729 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I don't agree when it comes to cash. "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private". If you're transacting business within the US, using US banks, in US dollars, then you should be required to accept US currency.

All that statement means is that cash is legal tender, not that I have to accept it for payment.

https://www.federalreserve.gov...s/currency_12772.htm
quote:
Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency [including Federal Reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal Reserve Banks and national banks] are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues." This statute means that all U.S. money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor.

- John Adams

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I like credit cards for the rewards. Now I see this could be in jeopardy as a bill is being considered to screw with credit card rewards. Those bastards in Washington want it all. Thanks, Dick Durbin.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/po...-credit-card-rewards

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Business I've been patronizing for 22 years no longer accepting cash

or maybe not? Eek

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
All that statement means is that cash is legal tender, not that I have to accept it for payment.

You shouldn't have to accept it for payment. You should be able to accept whatever you'd like for payment.

But if you advertise your widget for "$4" then you are advertising you'll accept "$4" as payment. $4 is four US federal reserve notes with the number 1 imprinted upon them.

If you want to advertise your widget in exchange for Francs, sea shells, rewards points, or a series of ones and zeros using a piece of plastic with a magnetic stripe, then you should be willing and free to accept those as well.

I have this same issue with real estate sales. If you advertise X for Y then you should accept X for Y. If you're not willing to do so, then you shouldn't be advertising as such.

www.zykansafe.com

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is a thing. For a business like a doctor, cash is a pain. They don't have a place to keep it, they don't have good cash accounting controls, and they have to take it to the bank every day. It is a pain to accept cash, if you don't get a lot of it. Even the credit card fees are cheaper than handling cash.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a local business tell me that. I got out a dollar bill and read "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."

They said "I don't care, no cash."

I left.

Posts: 7022 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Had a local business tell me that. I got out a dollar bill and read "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."

That "legal tender" thing doesn't mean they have to accept it. That is a myth.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
It is a push to go completely digital so we are controlled more by the whims of those in government. They want and I might say are getting more and more control over what we do and say.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
It is a push to go completely digital so we are controlled more by the whims of those in government. They want and I might say are getting more and more control over what we do and say.

That is true but let’s be real we all know why the government wants to get rid of cash. TAXES

Posts: 3931 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post