SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Weren't about 40% of the masks the NE Patriots flew in FROM CHINA found to be defective?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
So now it's 5G that's part of the problem

Link

Woody Harrelson Is Latest Celeb Sharing Coronavirus 5G Conspiracy Theory
By Honey German
Apr 6, 2020

You may have seen people posting wild conspiracy theories linking 5G networks to the coronavirus pandemic — and now those theories are even being spread by celebrities such as Woody Harrelson. The theories ranged from 5G signals causing the virus, to the contagion being started as a cover-up for health maladies related to the networks. And the conspiracy theories are quickly reaching the masses in parts to celebrities sharing them with millions of people on social media.

Woody Harrelson recently posted a report “about the negative effects of 5G” and its supposed role in the coronavirus pandemic to his more than 2 million Instagram followers. “I haven’t fully vetted it I find it very interesting,” he wrote of the report claiming that “5G radiation” is “exacerbating” the contagion’s spread and making it more lethal. That post got 25,500 likes and a later one of a video showing Chinese campaigners attacking phone towers there got viewed more than 300,000 times.

Singer M.I.A. has also repeatedly tweeted about her fears over 5G — recently saying that even if it does not cause COVID-19, it “can confuse or slow the body down in healing process as body is learning to cope with new signals wavelength s frequency etc @ same time as Cov. “People in England are setting fire to it. They should just turn it off till after the pandemic!” she wrote.

Attacks on on UK cellphone towers, fires at towers in Birmingham, Liverpool and Belfast have all been blamed on the conspiracy theories, UK officials have said. UK Cabinet Minister Michael Gove damned the tales as “dangerous nonsense” while noting that the damaged phone lines are crucial for emergency services battling the pandemic.

Professor Stephen Powis, the UK’s national medical director, called the theories “outrageous” and “absolute and utter rubbish" and Dr. Michael Head of the University of Southampton also told the Evening Standard that such “ignorance” could prove dangerous. “Conspiracy theorists are a public health danger who once read a Facebook page,” he told the Evening Standard.

I saw a couple pics of burned tower last week, one of my guys told me that this "theory" was making the rounds on social media .....

If people are this stupid....please let the C19 win Roll Eyes Confused

If they believe this I suggest a new form of testing....dunking stool, if they float they don't have the C19 if they don't float...well...sorry, they had the C19 and would have drowned in their own fluids anyway

paging Mr. Comet...please come to the white curtesy phone

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
harrelson has been doubling up on his weed before it goes bad...

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
springnr,

I suspect you made a bad assumption

"I'm guessing we are still only testing folks that show up at the hospital"

As best I understand it, testing is happening widely including from doctors' offices and in parking lots.

So the number of U.S. confirmed is 338,866

(they tested positive)

Then we hear a lot that 15 to 20 % of the confirmed need hospitalization.

One of the big mysteries right now is "how many total China virus cases have there been in the U.S.?"

We may have lots of people who got it, it was mild, and they have recovered. Many others may have it now, it is mild, and they will recover.

I don't think we know. If we knew that number we could make much better decisions.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

related number

Cuomo said there were 16,479 people hospitalized (NY) on 4 April

On 4 April there were 99,446 active cases in NY

16479 / 99446 = 17%

Posts: 19577 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
“They’re at war with the West. This story shows the world what Chinese citizens are dealing with,” he said.

I'm not predicting anything... but if one good thing could come of this it would be if Chinese citizens stood up and over threw the CCP.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Politicians in India are taking a 30% pay cut- Time for Congress and other politicians to follow suit.

quote:
Coronavirus: President, PM, Ministers, MPs to take 30% salary cut for a year

https://www.businesstoday.in/c...ut/story/400283.html

I think PDJT, should do the same thing. Oh wait, nevermind.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Good news from Cuomo today:

Cuomo said the total number of hospitalizations, ICU admissions and daily intubations are down, which "suggest a possible flattening of the curve."

While New York may have reached the apex of coronavirus infections, the governor added, what happens next "still depends on what we do."

Also, the state's health care system "is at maximum capacity today," according to the governor. "The staff cannot work any harder. And staying at this level is problematic."

Posts: 19577 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
“they’re using it for soft power, essentially saying it’s a humanitarian gesture to try to curry goodwill with American people when some of the problems we’re facing are the direct result of Chinese policies.”

Cute.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
why are the models changing dramatically ?

Just 2 weeks ago NY estimated they would have over a million active cases a few days from now.

Now it looks like NY will have about 10% of that.

NY has 106,024 active cases now

In recent days, NY sees about 10,000 new cases every day.

But NY is also now seeing 1,500 to 1,800 recovered every day

and about 600 deaths per day

put all that together, and that implies NY active cases will be (very roughly) 130,000 on 8 Apr

People started recognizing, it's not just the flu and changed their actions (as well as being forced to). Small changes to behavior make huge changes to the outcome of things like this that grow exponentially. Like if China had been honest, accepted help, and locked shit down early. We wouldn't have the worldwide crisis if they took early action.

People are coming around, if individuals had taken action in the US to stop unnecessary trips in public and practiced social distancing earlier, we'd have even less cases. Instead we have governor's making illegal proclamations about what is allowed and not (see paddle boarder guy).

Even the spring breaker who famously said "if I get corana, I get corona," has apologized.

Each tiny preventative action has a huge effective on the final numbers. That is why numbers and projections are changing so much. It's a moving target, as inputs change and data improves, so does the projections and confidence intervals.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

Oooooooorrrrrrrrr, the projections were simply wild ass guesses that completely missed the mark.

But don't worry, they can take credit for it either way.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
a1abdj, Reread the last sentence. Garbage in, garbage out. Better the information, the better the confidence in a projection. If we really want to make a good projection, we should wait until June to do so. We will have much better data at that point and the confidence intervals will be much smaller. Until then, let's do nothing, since right now we don't have the data. It will be much easier to predict that way.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^ I thought we were told even if we did everything perfectly, we would still have 100,000 deaths.

And you're basically admitting that the information and data we have been using was garbage. So we used garbage information to justify complete economic devastation and financial ruin for millions of people?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Balzé, of course the data is garbage, especially given the lies from China combined with information from countries that have different societies and different healthcare systems. It starts off a barely educated guess, and gets more reliable with more data.

I am in no way qualified to make policy decisions, and I'd hate to be tasked with it. There is and has been enough information for a long time to say this should be taken seriously though. Beyond that, we will not know what the correct course of action was until it's over, and we will not fully know how our preventative actions actions affected the outcome.

In a case like this with my limited knowledge, I'd say it's best to err on the side of caution. As an individual, I changed my actions months ago. I don't know the answers, and I don't envy PDJT having to make his best guesses for our country, but I trust him.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Does it look like the modeler's are just pulling this out of their asses?

There is a saying - "All models are wrong. Some are useful." These look wrong, and approaching malfeasance.

Yes.
There is another saying - "Garbage in, garbage out."

May I add: Figures lie and liars figure.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
^^^^ I thought we were told even if we did everything perfect, we would still have 100,000 deaths.

And you're basically admitting that the information and data we have been using was garbage. So we used garbage information to justify complete economic devastation and financial ruin for millions of people?

Winner winner chicken dinner.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
... if one good thing could come of this it would be if Chinese citizens stood up and over threw the CCP.

Interesting idea that I haven’t ever seen raised, either in connection with the pandemic or in the past. I admit I was astonished by the fall of the Evil Empire (USSR) and would have confidently predicted that it wasn’t going to happen in my lifetime (if ever). It seems even less likely to happen in China, though, for a couple of reasons.

One is something I probably first heard when I was in grade school and would no doubt be considered “racist” in some way now, and that’s the (supposed, at least) traditional Chinese respect for tradition and authority. The Nationalists and Communists seemed to falsify that notion to a degree, but that may have been abetted somewhat by the Japanese invasion of the country.

A stronger reason to doubt that the Chinese are going to rise up against the regime, though, is that they’ve had greater motivation to do so in the past than now without making any such attempt. The “Great Leap Forward” and the Cultural Revolution were horrible times that were much more clearly the fault of the leadership than this pandemic. I’m not very well informed about current conditions in the country, I readily admit, but it seems to me that the standard of living and life in general isn’t that bad for the average Chinese, unlike conditions in the Soviet Union before its collapse. As for political repression, that’s something people have gotten accustomed to countless times, and especially if they were born into such a system.

As I say, I’ve been wrong before about major political movements, but I would be very surprised if any significant changes result from COVID-19.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
a1abdj, Reread the last sentence. Garbage in, garbage out. Better the information, the better the confidence in a projection. If we really want to make a good projection, we should wait until June to do so.

Still won't really make the case, as the argument would logically fail as a post hoc (*). It's a reasonable hypothesis, it's even falsifiable (**), but only a hypothesis.

Unless we were to take two essentially identical populations, have enforced social distancing in one and allow the other to carry on normally, then compare the outcomes: We can't really know.

Yes, I know: "It only makes sense that..." But, still...

(*) Post hoc ergo propter hoc, or "this follows that." The seminal example being "The sun rises after the cock crows, therefor the cock crowing causes the sun to rise."

(**) Falsifiability is the assertion that for any hypothesis to have credence, it must be inherently disprovable before it can become accepted as a scientific hypothesis or theory.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
springnr,

I suspect you made a bad assumption

"I'm guessing we are still only testing folks that show up at the hospital"

As best I understand it, testing is happening widely including from doctors' offices and in parking lots.

So the number of U.S. confirmed is 338,866

(they tested positive)

Then we hear a lot that 15 to 20 % of the confirmed need hospitalization.

One of the big mysteries right now is "how many total China virus cases have there been in the U.S.?"

We may have lots of people who got it, it was mild, and they have recovered. Many others may have it now, it is mild, and they will recover.

I don't think we know. If we knew that number we could make much better decisions.

Sorry for the delayed response, went to bring in the trash can and ended up spinning on the bike for 30 minutes.

Agreed, and we need antivirus testing too.
338,866/330,000,000 = .1% of the US population, according to the hard numbers we have at hand?
A far cry from 40 to 60% of the population infected required to reach herd immunity.
=========================
In other dismal news, which should be part of the conversation about ventilators...
In this short video Dr. Mike Hansen an ICU lung doc from South Dakota, says only 14% of patients that end up on ventilators survive.
Do Ventilators Save COVID-19 Patient's Lives?

Posts: 427 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
it seems to me that the standard of living and life in general isn’t that bad for the average Chinese

I would agree, based on the horde of rude Chinese tourists I have seen on my recent trips abroad.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
If Sweden stays the course we could have a pretty good data set among the Nordic countries. Sweden is letting it run it course while Denmark is fining citizens for going outside. Slight population difference but very similar otherwise in metrics that impact virus infections and deaths.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post