SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My favorite sustenance as a free range kid was Cracker Jacks.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My favorite sustenance as a free range kid was Cracker Jacks. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Amazon sells Clark bars, and Cherry Mash. Love them both; alas, diabetes!

Posts: 17148 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Way back when:
1. Popsicles (orange)
2. Straws with sugar/stuff
3. "Bottle" of soda or "pop" as we called in the Midwest

Cracker Jacks would be an honorable mention. Smile
I worked one summer as a Popsicle packer for a local dairy. I wrote lyrics to the tune of "Daisy, Daisy":
"Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer true.
Which good flavor appeals the most to you?
Is it lemon-lime, or cherry?
Or root-beer or strawberry?
For it's a treat to beat the heat with a Popsicle built for two."

It didn't go anywhere.

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
A well known phenomenon.
We always opened Cracker Jack from the bottom.

Yes! I bought for the peanuts. Those things, I imagine, are like crack. Loved them 40 years ago. I think I had a box recently (last 5-10 years or so) and was disappointed. I like Cretors now.

A fav combo from back then, not sure why, was 3 Musketeers with a Dr. Pepper. Or Snickers. Or Reese's.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
A well known phenomenon.
We always opened Cracker Jack from the bottom.

Yes! I bought for the peanuts. Those things, I imagine, are like crack. Loved them 40 years ago. I think I had a box recently (last 5-10 years or so) and was disappointed. I like Cretors now.

A fav combo from back then, not sure why, was 3 Musketeers with a Dr. Pepper. Or Snickers. Or Reese's.

Cracker Jacks were great and I remember when a Cherry mash was about 6 bites and it was a nickel ! Now it's less than half size and waaay more.
My favorite combo was a bag of peanuts and a Pepsi.

Posts: 369 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Cracker Jack was an adolescent treat and staple growing up. Sadly it contributed greatly to my early dental problems. Lets face it, that sugary coating got on and in-between your teeth, and if you couldn't brush in an hour or so... we know what that brings on. Not to mention the high calories it added. I was a chubby kid which thankfully subsided at about 12-13 (girls) Sigh

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My favorite as a kid was putting one of those small snack size bags of peanuts in my ice cold glass bottle of Coke.

Posts: 11863 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
My favorite as a kid was putting one of those small snack size bags of peanuts in my ice cold glass bottle of Coke.

Loading Tom’s peanuts into a soft drink polished your muzzleloading skills. Sucking a vacuum on an upturned bottle then releasing it to dislodge the peanuts bridged up in the neck of the bottle for a satisfying munch with your next swig was a life skill to be mastered in your single digit years.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

or pepsi, or Dr Pepper,

delicious,

not so good in a grape drank

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10435 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RichardC:

A fav combo from back then, not sure why, was 3 Musketeers

How many folks remember when each of the three parts of a Three Musketeers candy bar was a different flavor and a different color??

Posts: 6632 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post