SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My favorite sustenance as a free range kid was Cracker Jacks.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My favorite sustenance as a free range kid was Cracker Jacks. Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
A box of that goodness could usually keep me motoring until supper time. Not anymore. My wife picked me up some for old times sake yesterday.
Those three little boxes hardly contained what used to come in one box for a dime. It has got to be a sin to make me look like a gluttonous pig surrounded by a bunch of empty boxes. Made me feel like a bear field stripping a row of trash cans. I feel so ashamed; I may never recover. Somebody start a go fund me to finance a decent size snack.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
A box of that goodness could usually keep me motoring until supper time. Not anymore. My wife picked me up some for old times sake yesterday.
Those three little boxes hardly contained what used to come in one box for a dime. It has got to be a sin to make me look like a gluttonous pig surrounded by a bunch of empty boxes. Made me feel like a bear field stripping a row of trash cans. I feel so ashamed; I may never recover. Somebody start a go fund me to finance a decent size snack.

Don’t even get me started on how big Tootsie Rolls were when I was little…

Posts: 406 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:

You could make a single session out of one of these. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Bet you ate the peanuts fi Smile rst and then the popcorn.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A prize in every box!! They still do that?

Posts: 17279 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

You could make a single session out of one of these. Big Grin

Exactly. When I buy that stuff, I buy two boxes: One for home, one for on the way home...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15271 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
FWIW I pay $1.88 per box for the Family Size Crunch n Munch.

Cracker Jacks were okay back in my youth but what I REALLY loved was Karmelkorn. They had a street front store adjacent to a big movie theater on Salina Street in downtown Syracuse back in the '40s, '50s, and '60s. The outfit still exists but with apparently with only mall locations around the country and mail order these days. Great stuff!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
quote:
A prize in every box!! They still do that?

Nope! Some kind of paper thing (~1.5"x1.5") that you have to tear open to see whatever.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Crunch n Munch is way better IMO. Healthier? We won't go there... Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38721 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Bet you ate the peanuts fi Smile rst and then the popcorn.

Yep. If I win the lottery, I’m going to keep a stash of those peanuts in a vault the size of Scrooge McDuck’s.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MelissaDallas:
Don’t even get me started on how big Tootsie Rolls were when I was little…

And Payday candy bars, my personal favorite.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The peanuts in Cracker Jacks were my favorite part. There weren't many in there, so I cherished them!

Posts: 6632 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to love Cracker Jack but no longer. The taste has changed and not what I remember. We used to get Karmelcorn and I loved that stuff. Unfortunately, there is not one near me. There is nothing like it when it is fresh and warm.

Posts: 6903 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Peanuts last because they are on the bottom

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
A well known phenomenon.
We always opened Cracker Jack from the bottom.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
<<snip>>

Payday bars are still one of my #1 favorites! My late brother would store them in the freezer and eat them while cold and hard. After he passed away I got his remaining stash and tried it myself; best way to eat a Payday in my opinion!

Posts: 4604 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
<<snip>>

Payday bars are still one of my #1 favorites! My late brother would store them in the freezer and eat them while cold and hard. After he passed away I got his remaining stash and tried it myself; best way to eat a Payday in my opinion!
Payday bars (and many others now) do come in 2 sizes. The larger one might satisfy you.

My personal favorite candy bar is a Clark Bar. Unfortunately, they are very difficult to find where I live. I think I read that the company had gone out of business, but that some other was planning to begin making them.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:

Payday. Heck, yeah! Though I'll admit, I'm not a fan of the new chocolate-covered ones.

That said, I'll offer up orange slices:

God bless America.

Posts: 13519 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I preferred Fiddle Faddle, but it isn’t easy to find. The so-called “prize” in Cracker Jack never failed to disappoint.

Posts: 26941 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Way back when:
1. Popsicles (orange)
2. Straws with sugar/stuff
3. "Bottle" of soda or "pop" as we called in the Midwest

Cracker Jacks would be an honorable mention. Smile

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post