SIGforum
My favorite sustenance as a free range kid was Cracker Jacks.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/9200049284

June 26, 2021, 01:39 PM
Fredward
My favorite sustenance as a free range kid was Cracker Jacks.
Amazon sells Clark bars, and Cherry Mash. Love them both; alas, diabetes!
June 26, 2021, 01:54 PM
flashguy
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Way back when:
1. Popsicles (orange)
2. Straws with sugar/stuff
3. "Bottle" of soda or "pop" as we called in the Midwest

Cracker Jacks would be an honorable mention. Smile
I worked one summer as a Popsicle packer for a local dairy. I wrote lyrics to the tune of "Daisy, Daisy":
"Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer true.
Which good flavor appeals the most to you?
Is it lemon-lime, or cherry?
Or root-beer or strawberry?
For it's a treat to beat the heat with a Popsicle built for two."

It didn't go anywhere.

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
June 26, 2021, 03:05 PM
konata88
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
A well known phenomenon.
We always opened Cracker Jack from the bottom.

Yes! I bought for the peanuts. Those things, I imagine, are like crack. Loved them 40 years ago. I think I had a box recently (last 5-10 years or so) and was disappointed. I like Cretors now.

A fav combo from back then, not sure why, was 3 Musketeers with a Dr. Pepper. Or Snickers. Or Reese's.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
June 26, 2021, 03:51 PM
john crusher
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
A well known phenomenon.
We always opened Cracker Jack from the bottom.

Yes! I bought for the peanuts. Those things, I imagine, are like crack. Loved them 40 years ago. I think I had a box recently (last 5-10 years or so) and was disappointed. I like Cretors now.

A fav combo from back then, not sure why, was 3 Musketeers with a Dr. Pepper. Or Snickers. Or Reese's.

Cracker Jacks were great and I remember when a Cherry mash was about 6 bites and it was a nickel ! Now it's less than half size and waaay more.
My favorite combo was a bag of peanuts and a Pepsi.
June 26, 2021, 04:11 PM
NavyGuy
Cracker Jack was an adolescent treat and staple growing up. Sadly it contributed greatly to my early dental problems. Lets face it, that sugary coating got on and in-between your teeth, and if you couldn't brush in an hour or so... we know what that brings on. Not to mention the high calories it added. I was a chubby kid which thankfully subsided at about 12-13 (girls) Sigh

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence
June 26, 2021, 04:24 PM
OKCGene
My favorite as a kid was putting one of those small snack size bags of peanuts in my ice cold glass bottle of Coke.
June 26, 2021, 05:37 PM
Sportshooter
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
My favorite as a kid was putting one of those small snack size bags of peanuts in my ice cold glass bottle of Coke.

Loading Tom’s peanuts into a soft drink polished your muzzleloading skills. Sucking a vacuum on an upturned bottle then releasing it to dislodge the peanuts bridged up in the neck of the bottle for a satisfying munch with your next swig was a life skill to be mastered in your single digit years.
June 26, 2021, 07:53 PM
lyman
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

or pepsi, or Dr Pepper,

delicious,

not so good in a grape drank

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

June 27, 2021, 04:31 PM
GT-40DOC
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RichardC:

A fav combo from back then, not sure why, was 3 Musketeers

How many folks remember when each of the three parts of a Three Musketeers candy bar was a different flavor and a different color??