SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toxic chemicals released from derailed Ohio train!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toxic chemicals released from derailed Ohio train! Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
Anyone following the toxic chemical train derailment, burn-off? What a fucking mess. Looks like the plum of toxic chemicals is just hanging there in some older videos from a day ago or so. I assume it's drifting along north based on the Windy map but it'll shift west today so we'll get a heaping lung full until it stops burning. I can't seem to get any good intel on IF that's stopped yet, or WHEN it will be expected to stop burning. You'd think they'd limit the amount of that stuff they'd run on any one train. But I guess you'd be wrong.

Mark123 -- It looks like it's floating up your way. Be careful! Frown Mad Frown

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
There was a major CSX train derailment in Miamisburg Oh in 1986 that released a toxic plume and resulted in evavcuation of the entire city. You see these trains transiting populated areas every day without thinking about the toxic stuff they are carrying. Methylethylbadshit is scary. Hope they got evacuations done in time.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About an hour South of me.
Haven't really followed it to much.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rouge I am in c bus. Where you at?

Posts: 1743 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Greta must be having a panic attack over this. A toxic chemical spill that they burn off?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
The chemicals that are causing alarm are vinyl chloride and phosgene gas. Very bad stuff.

The train derailed because of a bad wheel bearing and the question is why didn't automated systems catch that it was going bad.

That's for another day but those two chemicals are causing a lot of anxiety and rightfully so.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
vinyl chloride and phosgene gas.
I looked both up in the NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards. In the incident command world for the petrochemical industry, this pocket guide is viewed as a very hand resource for setting PPE standard for responders, buffers for the public, etc.

Phosgene is 0.2 PPM in 15 minutes, and vinyl chloride is no detectable levels due to being carcinogen. In typical gov't fashion, OSHA limits are of course different from NIOSH limits.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
phosgene gas

A Chemical Weapons Convention Schedule III chemical.

One that shortly will no longer be produced domestically.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google this term:
B.L.E.V.E.
Boiling
Liquid
Expanding
Vapor
Explosion.
It a train derailment tank car scary situation.
I was in Dayton during the 86 derailment in Miamisburg. As part of the aftermath, my Dept stepped up its Haz Mat Training. We were told your most vital piece of first response gear was a pair of binoculars. Use them before you approach burning train derailments.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother does Hazmat. He said if people knew what chemicals were in the tanker cars they would be very frightened. He was surprised these spills did not happen more frequently.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It's crazy how they run so much on one train. Escalates the Impact/risk IMO.

Edit: I'm convinced I can smell it. I'm ~35 miles west northwest.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
The chemicals that are causing alarm are vinyl chloride and phosgene gas.

Please provide your references specifically for Phosgene. No way they will be doing a controlled release of that. Vinyl chloride is NOTHING compared to the hazard of Phosgene so I want references.

https://www.post-gazette.com/l...stories/202302070109

"According to the United States Department of Labor OSHA regulations, it has a “pleasant odor” at high concentrations. When burned, it decomposes into various gasses, potentially including hydrogen chloride and trace amounts of phosgene."

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Phosgene might be produced in trace amounts but the "controlled" portion of the burn will probably include heavy saturation with water (preferably mixed with a low concentration of ammonium hydroxide), which would help break down any trace phosgene into HCL / CO2 and the ammonia converting it directly into even less harmful urea.

Specifics matter a great deal in these matters and Hazmat personnel need to choose their words carefully or let true chemical safety experts relay details to the public.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
The chemicals that are causing alarm are vinyl chloride and phosgene gas. Very bad stuff.

The train derailed because of a bad wheel bearing and the question is why didn't automated systems catch that it was going bad.

That's for another day but those two chemicals are causing a lot of anxiety and rightfully so.
Many rail road crossings have electronics which monitor axles as they pass by. I have heard the equipment telling the engineer or someone which number axle has the issue. That doesnt mean the train stops. On the correct frequency all one needs is a nearby hand held walkie talkie to listen in. Its not unlawful.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I see some hellish quantities of dangerous chems and LNG tankers pass by around the clock within 100 feet. With a serious derailment I could see much of this little town destroyed. I havnt lived this close to the rail sinse I was a youngster. Tank cars average 180,000 to 220,000 pounds in GVW. That is some tonnage. One train may be moving up to 100 or more tank cars making up just half the train. A modern locomotive averages 432,000 pounds in weight. Someday soon I will live far away from any rail. Horns, miles away would be just dandy.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Phosgene might be produced in trace amounts but the "controlled" portion of the burn will probably include heavy saturation with water (preferably mixed with a low concentration of ammonium hydroxide), which would help break down any trace phosgene into HCL / CO2 and the ammonia converting it directly into even less harmful urea.

Specifics matter a great deal in these matters and Hazmat personnel need to choose their words carefully or let true chemical safety experts relay details to the public.

When they lit that fucker off, there was no one anywhere close enough to spray water. It looked like a neutron bomb went off. There's going to be a lot of fallout effects from this that will be suffered in silence by those who ingest the chems. In a few weeks, we'll never hear another word about it. Carry on. carry on.

-- Edit to fix poor formatting that put my reply within the quote.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
From reading the posts, I thought they had phosgene in the tankers…

Much less of a “WTF?” After reading the article.

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our railway system lacks a lot. When I see the extent to which the Swiss inspect their trains it is evident. Railroads are vitally important and also yield considerable power.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Anybody have any clue what's going on in East Palestine, Ohio?

That derailment occurred a week ago, yet, as of this morning, Twitter is all, well, atwitter with stuff like this:

I guess I'm glad the winds here in S.E. Michigan are out of the west, today.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
All I can say is that my immediate impression of that top picture- the column of gray smoke- it looks photoshopped to me.

And stories of animals dropping dead, miles away, sounds like bullshit.

If this kind of stuff was actually going on, you can bet your bottom dollar that our tabloidesque news media would be all over it.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post