SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    F150 Lightning Pro! Not going to lie it has piqued my interest.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

F150 Lightning Pro! Not going to lie it has piqued my interest. Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I believe the Rivian tank turn is limited to off-road use.
Needs the slip of non-pavement, from what I've read.

That wouldn’t surprise me it sounds like it would be rough on the drivetrain on concrete.

The Chevy EV Silverado or whatever they call it has 4 wheel steering and turns incredibly sharp.

If anyone is looking for an EV pickup right now you’re going to get bent over on pricing not only because of the current car market but additionally +$5.00 a gallon gasoline.

There are dealers advertising $40+ over sticker on the Lightning and Chevy. Never looked at the Rivian.

The GMC Hummer EV has 'Crab Walk' or something similarly named, where it can 4 wheel steer all 4 wheels in the same direction to crab sideways (and forward).

How long before we get 90* steering knuckles & can parallel park without any F/R movement.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
I believe the Rivian tank turn is limited to off-road use.
Needs the slip of non-pavement, from what I've read.

That wouldn’t surprise me it sounds like it would be rough on the drivetrain on concrete.

The Chevy EV Silverado or whatever they call it has 4 wheel steering and turns incredibly sharp.

If anyone is looking for an EV pickup right now you’re going to get bent over on pricing not only because of the current car market but additionally +$5.00 a gallon gasoline.

There are dealers advertising $40+ over sticker on the Lightning and Chevy. Never looked at the Rivian.

The GMC Hummer EV has 'Crab Walk' or something similarly named, where it can 4 wheel steer all 4 wheels in the same direction to crab sideways (and forward).

How long before we get 90* steering knuckles & can parallel park without any F/R movement.

Available since 1938 or so!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
The Pro comes standard with the dual motor (4wd) it is not an upgrade. The extended range battery is the upgrade.

Ok, I must have seen an earlier proposal about RWD only, basic basic. Not realistic for pros in the northeast during winters.

Personally, I think Extended 320 miles battery should be standard.

Apparently there is already reservations/pre-orders for 100,000 of these?? Hopefully these take some of the pressure off Maverick hybrids because they can't make enough of those either!!!

David

Posts: 691 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not realistic for pros in the northeast during winters.

Excellent point. When I think of a "Pro", I think of 3/4 ton, possibly towing an enclosd trailer with all their tools in it, and possibly plowing snow in the winter. I don't know many "pros" who drive a half ton. Roll Eyes

I haven't looked into detail on these, but they seem like what the OP has suggested. Going to Home Depot and getting a few sheets of plywood, or a couple of pieces of lumber once or twice per year.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Here's an article from The Drive regarding the Lightning: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2...the-f-150-lightning/

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bean:
{Snip}
Apparently there is already reservations/pre-orders for 100,000 of these?? Hopefully these take some of the pressure off Maverick hybrids because they can't make enough of those either!!!

David

At this point, both the Lightning and Maverick Hybrid are vaporware.

If either one ever is built, the additional dealer mark-up will be breathtaking.

If you are a "Pro" that tows anything, the miles per charge will be cut in half, according to The Fast Lane Truck test of the Rivian on YouTube.

It is also disconcerting to hear that Ford just fired 580 engineers. Some of them were involved in EV development.
https://fordauthority.com/2022...oyee-reduction-plan/

Ford is not the only one. GM is also determined to be an EV powerhouse. I think both companies suffer from Elon Envy, which is kind of understandable.

"The current valuation of Tesla is around $808 billion whereas the combined value of GM, Ford, Toyota, Ferrari, BMW, Honda, Daimler, Hyundai, Mazda, Subaru, and Volkswagen is around $807 billion. Tesla is way high in this league. It is on a league of its own."
https://techstory.in/tesla-is-now-more-valuable/

Ford is never going to be Tesla. I will be surprised if Tesla maintains it's eye popping valuation.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
According to this video he got the Pro with extended battery and the higher power port at about $46k
That means the extended battery option is only like $5k
This is becoming a real possibility for my use.

I built the XLT earlier with the extended battery was like a $20k upgrade.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
I am not really familiar with electric vehicle batteries operations and charging but if I could add a solar panel to the hood like this to charge my 4 days working and not have to rely on plugging it in much that would be pretty slick.
https://www.americantrucks.com...=ds#4577473070231813

Google says it has a 98kWh battery pack and the solar panel you link says it puts out 85 watts. Doing a little math:

98kWh = 98,000Wh
98,000Wh/85W = 1,153 hours
Assuming 9 hours a day of sunshine, 1,153hours/9hours per day = 128 days.

Exactly. They make some panels similar for Teslas I've seen. Assuming it sits in the sun all day you get like a whopping 4 miles of range a day. Assuming it's June & Zero clouds. Panels aren't worth it.

For what it's worth I've really enjoyed my Model 3. Longest drive I've done in it is about 250 miles round trip. No issues.

Get the most range in Kwh battery you can afford. But you'll definitely want to install a 240v outlet for convenience. The trickle chargers they come with might do the job for you if you don't drive it much.

Also Warning. The EV hate is strong here. LOL As far as charging at home costs. Depends on your power cost. But I can top off my Model 3 at home to 350 mile range from %0 -> %100 for $6.20. I'm saving around $200 a month in gas at the moment.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
And they have raised the base price to $57K.
Interest no longer piqued.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at the curb weight for these beasts. I expect that people purchasing these trucks are going to find a weight pushing 8000 lbs. is not that convenient. It's also high enough that some states will start charging a fee per mile driven.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Don't even try towing with these EV turds

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Or use them in cold weather. People are reporting range is dropping to half.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
And they have raised the base price to $57K.
Interest no longer piqued.

Yep. I knew it was coming too. Fucking marketing ploy by Ford. I drive a Leaf as a DD and have for 9 years. I checked the Leaf prices. They certainly didn’t go up by this %.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Or use them in cold weather. People are reporting range is dropping to half.

I get worse range in winter in the Leaf but it’s not that dramatic. It’s not half. But yes, range drops. That’s why electric vehicles make sense for a daily driver/commuter type vehicle but I have a gas truck for a reason.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post