SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    F150 Lightning Pro! Not going to lie it has piqued my interest.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

F150 Lightning Pro! Not going to lie it has piqued my interest. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
$40k base model price minus $7,500 tax credit.
In a truck I need 4x4 and that is about it. I have come to enjoy a back up camera and sensors but aside from that I am golden.
It comes with a 12” screen and wireless Apple CarPlay. In this video he mentions they have decided to put the extended range battery as an option for the Pro which they initially were not going to do.
I checked Ford’s site and built one but the extended range battery is not shown as an option for the Pro yet. Looking at the XLT the extended range option is $20K for an extra 110 miles and a bit faster charging.
My driving not worth $20k.
My truck sits 4 days a week since I have the company mobile and my farthest trips are only 100 miles away usually. Any further we take the wife’s mobile. And I rarely ever drive more than 150 miles on my days off.
I am not really familiar with electric vehicle batteries operations and charging but if I could add a solar panel to the hood like this to charge my 4 days working and not have to rely on plugging it in much that would be pretty slick.
https://www.americantrucks.com...=ds#4577473070231813

I built one and the only option I added was bumping up the onboard Kw power for like $1k. We have lots of ice storms here and to power the house for a day or two would be well worth the up charge even if only needed once.

Not that I would buy the 1st model year but in a couple years we may have to look a little more into it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I am not really familiar with electric vehicle batteries operations and charging but if I could add a solar panel to the hood like this to charge my 4 days working and not have to rely on plugging it in much that would be pretty slick.

Google says it has a 98kWh battery pack and the solar panel you link says it puts out 85 watts. Doing a little math:

98kWh = 98,000Wh
98,000Wh/85W = 1,153 hours
Assuming 9 hours a day of sunshine, 1,153hours/9hours per day = 128 days.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down With The Sickness
Picture of Sclass
posted Hide Post
If you're half way serious I'd recommend placing an order. For my Mach E it was a $500 fully refundable deposit. I ordered a '21 on 6/28/21. It got bumped to a '22 in Sept. and I'm supposed to get it 5/28 to 6/3. The '22's are already sold out. I'm expecting the same or worse for the people wanting to get a Lightning.

I don't know where you live but guys in cold weather states where it gets below freezing are seeing about a 25% to 30% drop in range over the winter. Something to keep in mind if you pass on the extended range battery.

For my car a 110v outlet will add 3 miles of range per hour. If you wire a 220v 48A charger on a 60A breaker you will add 28 miles of range per hour. Doing a 24A draw on a 30A dryer outlet will get you about 18 miles per hour. Can't speak to solar.

Posts: 659 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
How long a wait are we talking here for the guy on a trip charging at the "e" pump? And what about the guy waiting next in line?

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down With The Sickness
Picture of Sclass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
How long a wait are we talking here for the guy on a trip charging at the "e" pump? And what about the guy waiting next in line?

Max is usually 45 minutes. Most of the time you can just add enough to get to the next DC charger. The apps are pretty slick. They map out charging stations and can tell you how many are in use and available. If you spend a lot of time on road trips ICE are still king.

Posts: 659 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Same league as those E-Jeep commercials showing these things 4-wheelin out in MOAB and the canyons..............up to a ridge-mounted charging station.

Be real - lucky if they make it from the mall back to your driveway. How soon before some SJW hack gets stranded and whines about the lack of stations "in the wilderness"?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I thought I read that Ford suspended orders for the Lightening due to overwhelming demand?

Also, from a coworker with electric vehicles, is best when part of a full package (solar, batteries, vehicle). That's the best bang for you buck as it minimizes your demand on the grid, making the system work for you.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

Google says it has a 98kWh battery pack and the solar panel you link says it puts out 85 watts. Doing a little math:

98kWh = 98,000Wh

So you are saying there is a chance!!
Thanks for the numbers.

quote:
Originally posted by Sclass:
I don't know where you live but guys in cold weather states where it gets below freezing are seeing about a 25% to 30% drop in range over the winter. Something to keep in mind if you pass on the extended range battery.

For my car a 110v outlet will add 3 miles of range per hour. If you wire a 220v 48A charger on a 60A breaker you will add 28 miles of range per hour. Doing a 24A draw on a 30A dryer outlet will get you about 18 miles per hour. Can't speak to solar.

It gets cold here in the winter but I don’t do long trips in my truck.

I don’t know all the different charging methods this electric stuff is all new to me but in the video he says it will charge from 15-80% in 44 minutes so by my math that is about 150 miles charge in an hour.

quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:

Not really of a concern for me as for me and my uses I’ll only be filling up at the house.

quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Same league as those E-Jeep commercials showing these things 4-wheelin out in MOAB and the canyons..............up to a ridge-mounted charging station.

Be real - lucky if they make it from the mall back to your driveway. How soon before some SJW hack gets stranded and whines about the lack of stations "in the wilderness"?

I have no illusions that this truck will be doing anything of the sort. This is a piddle around town truck that fits 3 boys in car seats, a dog, 5 bikes in the bed, the occasional load of lumber.
Yearly loads of mulch and manure.
All around town.

I know a lot of people like to poo poo on the idea of electric vehicles. And I agree they make zero sense for most drivers but there are a good number they make sense for especially those that use it as a 2nd car.

————————————————

Banned
posted Hide Post
Taking the published mileage figure of 20MPG at face value, a 230 mile range is equal to an 11 gallon tank.

Start putting it into that perspective to see if electric is an option. It's about 66% the capacity of a normal tank. That means your range is 1/3 less, and in 690 miles, you have to refuel four times. If someone could get in and out, that would be another 3 hours added to the trip, making a 15 hour day an 18 hour trip. Nope, folks won't do that, so half way or so, it's another overnite stop. Add another $150 for motel and food.

Best guess on my part is there are currently 10% electric refueling stations compared to gas stations in America. As far as I can tell, none in my small town, and very few in my metro. I don't see gas stations expanding with a lot of hookups for electric vehicles, the hookups are more part of the municipal infrastructure - like, two at the public library. There are plenty of posts online of Teslas stacked up and waiting to refuel in metros.

We already see the hybrids being sold off at 40K miles when the $2500 cost of a new battery pack is required, over the life of the vehicle it adds the cost of 6 rebuilt packs or another $15,000 to the cost of ownership to get to 250k miles. I don't see electrics saving money in that regard at all. I've swapped a motor and transmission in for quite a bit less - low mileage used drivetrains are out there, its not cost effective to put in all New!, so at 200k I can refresh for less than $2500. And did so.

Hard no on electrics. Ineffective range and refuel is a major bottleneck, much less adding a third to the long term costs of ownership. Its not a step forward in automotive progress.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I have been reading the Pro will not be sold to the general public. It will be a contractor/fleet only vehicle. I dont know how Ford will be verifying contractor status.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Tirod I agree that an electric vehicle is not viable for the vast majority of drivers.
Though however is my scenario I would almost always rely on charging at my home or family’s homes.
Ford has a 96 month/100000 mile battery warranty along with hybrid electric components.

I need to do the math on charging and how much it will cost at the house.

I think electric is a very viable option for a small number of drivers and many folks that want a novelty 2nd car.
Is it a game changer like the left wants us to believe? Certainly not. Does it have it’s place and do I think the technology is pretty cool? Yes.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
install a level 2 charger at the house on a dedicated 60A circuit. Most electric companies has a rebate refund of them (mine was $250).

charging at home each night was really the only feasible way

its cost me about $600 charging at home for almost 30k miles

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down With The Sickness
Picture of Sclass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tirod I agree that an electric vehicle is not viable for the vast majority of drivers.
Though however is my scenario I would almost always rely on charging at my home or family’s homes.
Ford has a 96 month/100000 mile battery warranty along with hybrid electric components.

I think electric is a very viable option for a small number of drivers and many folks that want a novelty 2nd car.
Is it a game changer like the left wants us to believe? Certainly not. Does it have it’s place and do I think the technology is pretty cool? Yes.

Per the video, the 44 minute charge time is Level 3 DC fast charging. I was giving Level 1 & 2 times at home.

The cost to charge at home will come out cheaper. The numbers look good because BEV owners are skirting the road taxes currently paid at the pump. Once the government has forced enough people into BEV's I expect them to come for their lost revenue at the pump. I expect it to come in the form of an annual road tax either based on a 12k mile average or else actual miles driven. Long term I see the cost of fueling being a wash.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

98kWh = 98,000Wh

And that's also assuming 100% efficiency in charging, which won't happen. 80% is more like it, so 160 days is more like it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Per the video, the 44 minute charge time is Level 3 DC fast charging. I was giving Level 1 & 2 times at home.

The cost to charge at home will come out cheaper. The numbers look good because BEV owners are skirting the road taxes currently paid at the pump. Once the government has forced enough people into BEV's I expect them to come for their lost revenue at the pump. I expect it to come in the form of an annual road tax either based on a 12k mile average or else actual miles driven. Long term I see the cost of fueling being a wash.

Over half of the states already have an annual EV surcharge for road taxes.

I’m expecting Louisiana to vote one in this session. I have no problems with it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
From what I have been reading the Pro will not be sold to the general public. It will be a contractor/fleet only vehicle. I dont know how Ford will be verifying contractor status.

My brother has been on the list since the first day you could get on it. When his name came up his only options were the loaded ones. No Pro unless his dealer can sneak him in on a fleet order though he does have an EIN and dormant LLC from when we were still building houses.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
I thought I read that Ford suspended orders for the Lightening due to overwhelming demand?

That’s the Mustang Mach E that they suspended orders for. It’s a nice problem Ford hasn’t had for a long while.

Posts: 4166 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Ford's website claims orders for the Lightning have been suspended, but what do they know?

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Still lots to learn in regard to charging abilities/options. I presume level 3 DC fast charging could be installed at one’s residence?
Also what maintenance is required on these.

As for fueling being a wash eventually is fine. The idea of being in brand new, nicely equipped, 4 wheel drive, crew cab full-size pickup truck, V8 gas power specs, with an 8 year 100k mile warranty covering all the major parts to go wrong, no oil changes, for $35k.

Find me a gas truck with that and I am good with it too but even the F150 gas XL in that configuration is $48k and only an 3 year warranty.

quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

My brother has been on the list since the first day you could get on it. When his name came up his only options were the loaded ones. No Pro unless his dealer can sneak him in on a fleet order though he does have an EIN and dormant LLC from when we were still building houses.

That could put a damper on things as the XLT is $58k with a whole bunch of crap I do not need or want on it.
I am sure in a couple years when they are more prevalent getting one should be a bit easier.

————————————————

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
. I presume level 3 DC fast charging could be installed at one’s residence?

Just like charging it with an 85 watt solar panel is possible, so is getting a level 3 DC fast charger installed at one's residence. It'll cost about what the vehicle costs.