SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stolen Q400 from Sea-Tac
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stolen Q400 from Sea-Tac Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigLaw:
How much knowledge is needed to get that plane off the ground?

Less than getting it back on the ground.

Getting the engines started it the big obstacle. That done, getting into a position to take off is another, especially at somewhere like SeaTac.

These are two-pilot aircraft for a reason.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Competely unbelievable.... I was at the Pearl Jam concert while all this was going down. My brother was giving me the play by play. I’m thankful that no one else was hurt.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Kind of surprised with all of the major potential military and civilian targets around Seattle, that the closest military planes are in Portland. They should have a couple on standby at Boeing Field. That guy could have easily flown into the PJ concert before the F15s arrived.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
Since he was a mechanic and knew how to start and probably taxi the aircraft combined with it being so unloaded that thing would probably get off the ground easily whether configured correctly or not.

A couple of USAF incidents come to mind of a mechanic deciding to fly:

A C-130 in 1969:
https://www.airforcetimes.com/...-bid-to-return-home/

A F-86 in 1956(the F-86 mechanic did have some flight training......2 hours in a Piper Cub):
https://www.airspacemag.com/mi...-borrow-it-76518363/

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I thought his aerobatics were quite good.

The news reported he did a loop prior to the roll; I hope someone has *that* on video as airspeed at the top is problematic.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
I was on an inbound flight about to land when this situation occurred. All ground traffic was frozen, and according to the chatter in the terminal they even shut down vehicle traffic outside of the terminal. Planes in flight were set to circle.

The larger thought I had is what could be done with an airplane. There are a handful of Military Bases around the sound that this plane could have crashed.

Go go Operation Noble Eagle.

The opinions expressed in no way reflect the stance or opinion of my employer.

Posts: 5446 | Location: Stationed in Kitsap Washington w/ the USN | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
I hope there was enough left of this guy to determine what was in his bloodstream that didn't belong there. He sounded almost euphoric on the radio.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
Oh, and, queue Chuck Schumer with new regulations...

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun Supply:
I hope there was enough left of this guy to determine what was in his bloodstream that didn't belong there. He sounded almost euphoric on the radio.
My brother said they've found a shoe, nothing else yet. He works for Alaska, the parent airline of Horizon.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I thought his aerobatics were quite good.

The news reported he did a loop prior to the roll; I hope someone has *that* on video as airspeed at the top is problematic.
King 5 coverage

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Kind of surprised with all of the major potential military and civilian targets around Seattle, that the closest military planes are in Portland. They should have a couple on standby at Boeing Field. That guy could have easily flown into the PJ concert before the F15s arrived.

The military assets are not funded or positioned to defend every major city or rock concert from a crazy man with a stolen plane.

The are positioned to enforce the Air Defense Identification Zone (North America)

Simply put, there aren't enough aircraft, pilots, or missiles in the US inventory to defend all the cities, events, rock concerts, or important locations from every possible potential stolen aircraft.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I ignored this post because—even though I’m familiar with many aircraft—the term “Q400” meant nothing to me.
A more descriptive post title would have been helpful.

No kidding. It's the same thing with some and their ridiculous, obscure acronyms. Roll Eyes

Beyond annoying.

Roll Eyes Poor guys...

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
My Father was ATC if that is real time that is unreal. I never knew.

Guy way out of his mind. Can we give him that? Why hate?

Posts: 126 | Registered: January 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

The military assets are not funded or positioned to defend every major city or rock concert from a crazy man with a stolen plane.

The are positioned to enforce the Air Defense Identification Zone (North America)

Simply put, there aren't enough aircraft, pilots, or missiles in the US inventory to defend all the cities, events, rock concerts, or important locations from every possible potential stolen aircraft.

I understand that, but one would think with McChord Air Force base nearby, there might be a plane or two closer than Portland... Boeing Black Box is a very high value target. Of course they can't protect every city and every rock concert.

Banned
posted Hide Post
And for the Real Haters. Thinking of buying a new F-150. Ever hear of it?

Posts: 126 | Registered: January 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
He sounded almost euphoric on the radio.

He was doing aerobatics in a stolen commercial turboprop, that would at least get my juices flowing Big Grin

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
quote:
Since he was a mechanic and knew how to start and probably taxi the aircraft combined with it being so unloaded that thing would probably get off the ground easily whether configured correctly or not.

A couple of USAF incidents come to mind of a mechanic deciding to fly:

There was a Navy Reworks Facility sailor who decided to taxi an A-4 off the base at North Island. I heard that the Marines at the gate even saluted as he went by. Pilots are officers, of course! Once outside the Main Gate indecision overwhelmed adventure and the lark was foiled.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand that, but one would think with McChord Air Force base nearby, there might be a plane or two closer than Portland... Boeing Black Box is a very high value target. Of course they can't protect every city and every rock concert.

I understand the logic, but there simply isn't the requirement or money to protect it all.
And McCord AFB only has transport planes, C-17s, C-130s and some others maybe. To even have 2 aircraft on 24hr alert would basically take a complete squadron to sustain indefinitely.

Far better and efficient for there to be better security controls at the airport level to prevent this kind of thing. I know for some reason airliners are allergic to any sort of locking mechanism to prevent unauthorized start / taxi / takeoff, which I've never understood.

quote:
quote:

He was doing aerobatics in a stolen commercial turboprop, that would at least get my juices flowing Big Grin
Agreed, the adrenaline was flowing and he was living the dream, albeit for a short time.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

I understand the logic, but there simply isn't the requirement or money to protect it all.
And McCord AFB only has transport planes, C-17s, C-130s and some others maybe. To even have 2 aircraft on 24hr alert would basically take a complete squadron to sustain indefinitely.

Far better and efficient for there to be better security controls at the airport level to prevent this kind of thing. I know for some reason airliners are allergic to any sort of locking mechanism to prevent unauthorized start / taxi / takeoff, which I've never understood.

quote:
quote:

Agreed, the adrenaline was flowing and he was living the dream, albeit for a short time.

Makes sense. Why can't they require a key or a code to start a plane?

posted Hide Post
No kidding. It's the same thing with some and their ridiculous, obscure acronyms. Roll Eyes

Thanks Alan. I try to make things simple for others.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post