SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FN in MT......been a heck of a 2021.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN in MT......been a heck of a 2021. Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
I have been absent most of the past year, thought an explanation was in order.

I started having issues with coordination and balance in July of 2020, at 69 yrs old. It started with difficulty shifting gears in my Cayman. My left leg just did not respond as well as normal. And hiking Glacier NP was very tough.

I adapted in the meantime and in October, went to my GP. He concurred I was experiencing significant diminishment on my left side. What followed was a few months of MRI's, three spinal taps, CAT scans and blood tests, which yielded no answers.

Finally on December 15th, 2020 we did a brain biopsy. The tissue sample was sent to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and the Alvord Brain Tumor Center at the University of Washington, Seattle. I was diagnosed with an "infiltrated glioma" brain tumor, stage 4, which is rare and difficult to treat as it is inoperable. The prognosis from Mayo was 6-15 months! THAT was a kick in the ass. But, I had no underlying conditions to complicate treatment and, as they say, "your mileage may vary". The tumor was the result of genetic pre-disposition and the doctors at both Mayo and UW emphasized it was unpreventable as well as difficult to detect and diagnose.

After the biopsy I had paralysis on my entire left side, couldn't walk or balance at all. This started my wheelchair time. My poor wife loading me up in the CRV for seemingly endless appointments. We thankfully have the Sletten Cancer Institute in Great Falls, 42 miles away. She pushed me through the snow and cold five days each week to my radiation zapping sessions. One day it was -38 degrees! But we did the treatments and I was improving.

Did 42 days of chemo medication, which hurt my vision long term, my appetite and played hell with my guts. I eventually bottomed out 40 pounds lighter.

I started Physical Therapy in February with an AMAZING PT staff in Great Falls. Within a few weeks we started seeing improvements. At first I walked like a 90 yr old, but I was walking! Eventually, I improved and as of now, don't require any further treatments.

I also have a portable tumor treatment device that sends low voltage electrical pulses through my brain, preventing the abnormal cells from reproducing. It seems to be working as I am steadily showing improvement. Still tough to see and I have to be careful walking as well. But I have a life and a future.

What's my "take away" after all this?

Few things in life as important as the people in our lives we love and care for. Money and the stuff we collect is all trivial.

I look back on life and I'm proudest when I recall past acts of kindness or friendships. Sorry to have rambled on, but it has been a hell of a past 18 months.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Sorry you had such a rough time in 2020 Frown

I had a rough time, too, but not nearly as rough as your's! Not even in the same ballpark.

Glad to see you seem to be beating this. And, yes: The people in our lives are far, far more important than the things in our lives.

Best wishes for continued improvement and a better 2022!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m glad you are still with us. Your wife sounds like a champion as do you. Here’s prayers to an improved 2022.

Posts: 7485 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
My best wishes to you too.

Keep up the fight!

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Really sorry to hear all that. Hoping for the best for you.

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
wow - what a year. I'm glad to hear you have stabilized, and I hope 2022 brings additional blessings.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Every time I see something like this I’m ashamed of the petty crap I complain about. Hope you continue to improve!

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
I’m praying for continued success and for your wife as the caregiver.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Friend, it so great to have you back. I rarely start the “whatever happened to…” threads because I know that members come and go, but yours is a presence that was noticeably missed.

I keep your Sean Connery thread bookmarked in my ‘favorites’ and return to it from time-to-time when I need a smile.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/1390079952/p/1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Welcome back FN!

And a special extra hug for your wife from all of us here.

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Happy to hear that despite your challenges you remain positive with a decent medical outlook.

And yes, your constable snapshot story with Connery is quite memorable!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Welcome back FN! Continued prays for your health.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a ride, FN! Glad you're doing better. Wishing you a healthy and happy 2022!

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing, glad you are feeling better.

I know you will have a better 2022 and continue to get stronger.

You are right its not the things we have its the way we treat others around us.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Welcome back, and prayers for continued improvement.

Posts: 4499 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Hang in there. Prayer sent.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Heck of a note! Happy to see you posting!

A friend rather suddenly had a brain stem cancer diagnosed; it is not something you check until it presents itself. The biopsy paralyzed one eye AND they didn't get the sample. His upside as he describes it, the cancer is so slow growing he is just as likely to die of 'natural' causes.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
FN, first off glad you are still with us. And yes, the stuff we surround ourselves with is just stuff.
Thanks for the reminder that life is precious and those who care for us are what’s really important.

Posts: 729 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I wish you a full,speedy recovery.

Posts: 4627 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for a better 2022!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post