SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Practical cars that are fun?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Practical cars that are fun? Login/Join 
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Theres always the new C8 at $65K-$70K with some decent options. Trouble is, try to find one, for less than MSRP plus ADP. Or getting an allocation for an order at MSRP.Or getting the Factory to go back to work!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rorke's Drift:
I got a Golf GTI in September and have been having a blast.

I am test-driving a leftover '19 S model on Thursday. Last of the 6/72 warranty cars, and VW offers 0% financing with delayed first payment, if you'd like.
My wife has a Mk VII (2015) and it's been great.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
get a new toyota carolla hatchback and call it a day. might not be as sporty as you wish but your life will be easier

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a 2014 Wrangler that is practical for my outdoor activities, but less than ideal to get me to my 5 courts.

I got a Golf GTI in September and have been having a blast. Decent mileage, easy to park, and almost too fun to drive. I love this car more than a stage 2 tuned A-4 I had a few years ago. Great thread!

Is the GTI a 6sp? what kind of HWY mileage are you getting, I have heard that with the 6sp 36-38mpg was achievable.

I confirmed the GTI sport I am looking at has a APR stage 2 tune...well the badge at least, I need to figure out if it was flashed by the dealership or something else stupid. When I drove it it pulled harder than I expected and even with the fancy front diff it still started to understear depending on how much I pushed it

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
A Honda Accord with a manual transmission is a great balance between comfort, practicality and fun.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:

Good move on the Cayman, I looked at those and older 911s (even 15yo 911s can be had with under 40k easy) but the lack of luggage space kills it....just like the Miata, really wish my needs were different....

Dew, grab your suitcases and head to a Porsche dealer. You’d be surprised, the 911 rear seats fold down and I can store some pretty hefty items between there and the trunk. Easily 2 carry ons + one more in the frunk, +a backpack or two.

I’m serious, if it’s in your price range it smokes anything else presented in smiles per mile.

Thanks but never gonna happen, normal road trip (3-5 weeks) packing list. Day to day the suitcases are normally in the hotel/flat.
- 29'" roller suitcase
- 25" roller
- rifle and ammo
- Go backpack
- M9 med bag
- field gear bag (hardhat, binos, vest, wind meter, spare climbing gear and PPE)
- car desk (fits on the front seat)
- tanker tool bag
- air compressor
- seasonal bag (getting warmer so not too bad)
- 2 pairs of boots

Now I am looking at downsizing the tool bag and going to duffles instead of suitcases so things will fit better but pretty sure there is no way I can cram this is a 911.

It will fit in a GTI with the seat down, I had a '10 TDI and the rear space was almost as big as my Forester.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Browsed for E46 wagons thanks to this thread.
Only 1 325 wagon within 500 miles of Houston on Autotrader.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Ok...made my decision....gas mileage is iffy but it has loads of luggage space

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-alvis-sabre/

Wink

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Now that's a different kind of fun

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would love either one but an S6 Avant is out of budget and the CTS-V wagons are like unicorns (especially a manual)and rising in price

Get an auto, swap in a Manual LOL

Yeah they are getting rare, all the better if you get one, it will hold it's value like a Taco Truck

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Would love either one but an S6 Avant is out of budget and the CTS-V wagons are like unicorns (especially a manual)and rising in price

Get an auto, swap in a Manual LOL

Yeah they are getting rare, all the better if you get one, it will hold it's value like a Taco Truck

Taco Truck? Should be plenty of room in there:

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Never underestimate a car salesman's eagerness before end of month.

I texted her to confirm that the ECU still had the APR stage 2 tune and the down pipe. She replies " yes and the clutch is aftermarket"

Sold

I was not planning on buying a car today....

She is in route as I type this with the car and to pick up the FXT. Big Grin

Kinda pissed as I just....like literally had the car detailed and the oil changed...bought a damned new cabin filter.

Pics to follow

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Mother of god....this thing pulls in 6th gear, not to mention in 4th and 5th.

Way to easy to go from 70 to ....well in excess of 70

Handling, good the front diff works....need to play with it more.

Need to look at a short shift kit but otherwise, waaay to much fun

I never thought I would dyno a car but I might just to see what the numbers are. Supposedly with stage 2 it should be should be around 320hp and 350 lb of torque .....

Now the challenge will be getting the mpg out of it on the highway......

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I think I missed something. Big Grin

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
You did....so did I ....really was not planning on buying today.

But sooo glad I did, going to Indy and Pit tomorrow and the GTI will much more fun and hopefully cheaper.

Although if today was any proof I need to budget for a few tickets

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm...

Practical - Check
Sporty - Check
Sleeper - Check
All wheel drive - Check

Well, there you have it. Your solution is....A Mercedes Benz E63 AMG Wagon with a 5.5L Bi-turbo V8 and 500HP+. Just wave to all the people with their jaws on the ground as you and your guests (and their luggage) leave everyone in the dust. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Totally agree....love the AMG wagons

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Totally agree....love the AMG wagons

Agreed

Cost of entry & running costs keep me just dreaming

Although, supposedly, the W211 E55 wagons are pretty reliable & relatively cheap, if you can find one.
Not sure on the 63s, have heard of issues with head bolts, but dont know much about it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:

I got a Golf GTI in September and have been having a blast.

There it is. Looks familiar! You, too, made a great choice.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post