SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Practical cars that are fun?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Practical cars that are fun? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Subaru WRX/STi. Really, the WRX is a better daily driver, and more fun on the street. The torque curve and power band is a little lower in the RPM range, so for spirited Street driving it will be more for.

It's faster then the STi 0-60 mph because of that (and it's slightly lighter), and cheaper.

I have a 2013 WRX hatchback, the last year of the hatch. I get 24 MPG going back and forth to work on county highway roads and somewhere around 32 to 35 MPG on the Highway if I drive normally, which is hard to do. LoL....

AWD with good All season Tires, or better yet Winter/Snow tires just laughs at winter/snow.

The trunk on the sedans are huge, the new models are bigger then mine and I can comfortably haul four adults. Five is crowded. My WRX has more headroom than my old Ford Crown Victoria. Just as much leg room.

My Subaru WRX has been reliable, stupid fun to drive and practical. I also get compliments on it all the time, and waved at.

I was looking at a practical, yet fun to drive car myself. After much looking at all of the different cars, I thought that the Subaru WRX was the most practical and then my hatchback fell into my lap, and I snatched it up because I had always liked them and the price was right. I have had a few cars/SUVs in my life, but this WRX is one of the few that I have loved.

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^ can't go wrong with an STI/WRX. Great cars, if I had a few extra bucks to spend I would have gone with the STI, but they sold at MRSP in my area, wasn't going to pay that much.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20828 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7L Hemi in it is practical, for me, and a lot of fun, but it's a bit of a gas guzzler.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one has mentioned Mazda3 hatchback 6spd?!

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
hurstolds1 I tried to find a SS last year, they were selling for in excess of $30k if you could find one. They didn't sell many as new cars, but as a used car they have a cult following. Hold on to yours, as I'm sure you are well aware, you have a diamond in the rough.

Edit just checked again to find an SS. $35k for a 2015 to $40k for a 2017. Man I'd love one of those cars, but those prices are stupid, especially for an ugly American sedan.

I was fortunate to purchase mine at the 20% discount!
I also have the other rear wheel drive sedan from Australia, the GTO. Fun to drive but no SS!

Posts: 872 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
When did the WRX get decent MPG? I test drove one for a few days when I was looking to get rid of my Legacy. This was 2018. I couldn't break 20mpg. I was like if I have to pay for premium gas and can't get 20mpg, I might as well go back to BMW. Which I did. I average 25mpg mixed and can get mid 30s on the freeway. Convertible is totally not practical though.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8022 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The 2018-20 Accord is available with a 6-speed transmission, in both the 1.5 and 2.0 liter engines.

Car and Driver loves it

I love mine, never drive my S2000 now because I enjoy it so much.
Back seat folds down, very large pass-through means I’ve been using it as a pick-up bringing big things home from Home Depot.
May be hard to find used as a manual, but it and the Mazda 6 are IIRC the only family sedans available with a 6-speed, and the Accord is now a better car.
It’s not as fast as the Fusion Sport; but it’s a Honda, and the handling is ridiculous for a family car.

Autoweek likes the 6-speed version.

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
No one has mentioned Mazda3 hatchback 6spd?!

2nd post....

quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
The new Mazda 3 is available with AWD. I haven't driven the redesign, but the prior-gen was a fun car with the 2.5 & the 6MT. Hatchback gives the practicality, but it won't have the power that the XT has. Also, AWD is not available with the 6MT on the new 3.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^ I want to know when they are bringing back the Mazdaspeed 3.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20828 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
So we like to have fun cars in the family and keep it somewhat practical. I love our 2016 JCW Mini Cooper hardtop with a Dinan tune box and some other light mods I did. It has no sunroof, vinyl seats and is a Manual, so we got pretty cheap as a dealer leftover with 170 miles but a new warranty from purchase (never titled). Has the BMW B48 engine not the Brazilian engine from prior gen. Plenty for the 4 of us on around town jaunts (not big people)

My daughters car is a floppy paddled VW GTI Rabbit and is a real hoot to drive. I would have preferred an MT, but the dual clutch is pretty good. Stock tires suck and will be getting summer tires once they wear down.

For other options, the last gen solid axle mustangs actually had pretty good handling and good deals to be found. Current Gen Mustangs are nice. Miata as mentioned, BMW 135i with N54 if you are handy and it has the HPFP updates. The GTO is not a bad call - really a Holden from Australia and handling can be made better.

Really depends on what you want - handling power speed drag times?

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
You don't think of the Outback as a sporty machine, and it certainly fits the bill for practical. The 3.6R is actually and pretty peppy machine, especially off the line. The boxer 6 cylinder makes 256 ponies with reasonable torque at about 247 ft. lbs. Plenty of fun for a grocery getter.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15591 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are looking super cheap - check out the prices on a used Honda Fit with the 6 speed. You can get the Sport edition which looks decent and is a blast to drive. They run 10-12 grand used with low miles.

The GTI, however, would be much better in every category except reliability. And as someone who loves manuals, their DSG is top notch. You can find them all day for 15-20 grand only a few years old with under 40-50k miles.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
For the dollar, WRX.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12642 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
^^^ I want to know when they are bringing back the Mazdaspeed 3.

Fingers crossed, there's rumors that the next-gen 6 will be a RWD I6
Maybe we can get a peppier 3 as well.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
.... Current Gen Mustangs are nice. ...

Really depends on what you want - handling power speed drag times?

Be careful with the Crowd Killers. Smile

Their rear ends have a mind of their own.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/MhyLAHiNW9g

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
I am really enjoying my KIA optima SLX. Most of the performance upgrades of the stinger without the price. Good acceleration and handling decent mileage.
My wife had an Audi A3 that was a blast to drive and with the Quattro drive system and good hakka winter tires, could get through winter storms that bogged down big SUV’s ( disclaimer she is a very skilled driver and a lot of people with big SUV’s don’t really know how to handle them)

Posts: 3293 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Fun, practical, and top mpg usually don't go all in the same vehicle. 25+ mpg isn't horrible IMHO.

If snow is a consideration, maybe something like the Impreza wagon or an Audi A4? BMW has had 'sport wagons' in the past that offered additional utility.

Since you're familiar with Subaru, I'd also say look at a 3.6R Legacy or Outback, tho that platform might be discontinued in the 2020's Frown. They're pretty peppy, and the Outback allows for outdoor fun within reason.

You could also look at something like the Dodge Journey SRT...lots of practically and a bit more zip than your average soccermommobile. Your buck goes quite aways with Dodge.

$.02 worth.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Practical can mean many things...

I bought a certified Porsche 911 (from Porsche, 2 year bumper to bumper unlimited mile warranty), in the mid 40k range.

It holds a small stroller, a baby seat, and still has room for small luggage and groceries. I love the damn thing!

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss1:
Fun, practical, and top mpg usually don't go all in the same vehicle. 25+ mpg isn't horrible IMHO.

If snow is a consideration, maybe something like the Impreza wagon or an Audi A4? BMW has had 'sport wagons' in the past that offered additional utility.

Since you're familiar with Subaru, I'd also say look at a 3.6R Legacy or Outback, tho that platform might be discontinued in the 2020's Frown. They're pretty peppy, and the Outback allows for outdoor fun within reason.

You could also look at something like the Dodge Journey SRT...lots of practically and a bit more zip than your average soccermommobile. Your buck goes quite aways with Dodge.

$.02 worth.

Boss

An E46 BMW wagon could be great. 330xi, not sure if available in the US with a stick.

Can't say I'd ever recommend a Journey. Wife's friend had one & it was full of issues.

SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Honda Civic Type R

Don't laugh!

From the article:

The 2020 Honda Civic Type R begs the question: How in your face is too in your face? The bewinged hatchback's exaggerated bodywork isn't easy for everyone to love, but its incredible chassis and terrific turbocharged engine certainly are. With 306 horsepower and a monogamous manual transmission, Honda's four-cylinder powertrain is powerful and engaging. While we wish it sounded as menacing as the Hyundai Veloster N, the super Civic proves there's no substitute for massive cornering grip and gobs of driver feedback. The front-drive hot hatch is also saved from the dreaded torque steer, and its ride doesn't have the rock-hard tendencies that the old Ford Focus RS had. In fact, the Honda could even be called civil if it weren't for its gratuitous styling. Still, the 2020 Civic Type R is a generational talent that is affordable, fun, and practical.

Mine is a 2019; they all have 4-doors; FWD; quick, fast, nimble, hatchback...the very definition of fun and practical. I use it as a daily driver during summer; garage it over winter.

hard to beat the peformance/dollar ratio.

Has beat many more expensive vehicles at Nürburgring; at one point held the record for fastest lap for FWD (may have regained record, I don't know).

I average a little over 30 mpg with some "spirited" driving.

Posts: 2938 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post