SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship in Pacific ***Update with report page 18***
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship in Pacific ***Update with report page 18*** Login/Join 
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:

During my 26 years on active duty in the Navy I was always surprised at how old the technology we were using actually was.

Not only technology.

In early 1969, I was sitting in a 5" gun turret as "safety officer", shooting ammo older than
I was!

We just recently got rid of VCR's in the aircraft that was used to record FLIR. Could buy the tales anywhere

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10375 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

But guess the Navy loves playing bumper boats with Destroyers.

If I had a shrimping boat, I'd have no fear with them lighting me up, they'd run into me long before they even knew I was there!!!!!!!!!!

This kind of cheap shot sniping - especially yours - is really getting old in this thread. Please pardon my bluntness but pray tell, when did you serve your country by going to sea in a USN warship? When in your Naval service and on what type(s) of [USN] ships did you come to the above realizations? You will certainly improve your credibility with me by sharing your in-depth background.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

According to a timeline of events, neither a collision alarm nor general quarters were sounded ahead of Crystal hitting the ship at about 1:30 a.m. on June 17, and the first indication to most of the crew that the ship had hit anything was the lurch they felt in their bunks.

http://www.marinelog.com/index...lieves-co&Itemid=229

That link comes back as "restricted access." Any work around/alternate link/source?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
One thing that would reduce loss of life is not having crews quarters along the sides of the ship. That location can easily be damaged by both ships and missiles.
Yes the sides would be a much better storage location for missiles ammunition and the ships vital components. The crew would be much safer.

The Zumwalt-class cruiser/destroyer does that exactly with it's VLS canisters ringing the perimeter of the ship. Unfortunately for the transformationalists, that ship along with it's little sister the LCS, are held up as examples of what not to do when designing and engineering a ship.

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

According to a timeline of events, neither a collision alarm nor general quarters were sounded ahead of Crystal hitting the ship at about 1:30 a.m. on June 17, and the first indication to most of the crew that the ship had hit anything was the lurch they felt in their bunks.

http://www.marinelog.com/index...lieves-co&Itemid=229

That link comes back as "restricted access." Any work around/alternate link/source?

Try this link:
https://news.usni.org/2017/08/...s-punishments-coming

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:
neither a collision alarm nor general quarters were sounded ahead of Crystal hitting the ship

jimmy's link above is a good one.

The original source was the official navy report on DDG 62 (Fitzgerald)

(as a reminder we are talking about DDG 62 in the report, not DDG 56)

from the report:

At the time of the collision, the DCA was asleep in her rack. She woke up when she felt the ship lurch. The collision alarm then sounded and the DCA quickly dressed and proceeded to CCS. From there, she directed DC efforts, sounded the GQ alarm using the general shipboard announcement system (1MC), and set primary and secondary boundaries (a first and second line of defense to control the spread of the flooding).

and from the time line in the report:

approx. 0130 Collision w Crystal
0132 FTZ sounds collision alarm

https://assets.documentcloud.o...Supplemental-Aug.pdf

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Warships are designed to absorb battle damage, not peacetime collisions with freighters. Therefore, in an expected combat scenario, the crew berths would be empty during Battle Stations situations. So, torps and missiles would hit empty compartments (nobody sleeps through a battle stations condition).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Warships are designed to absorb battle damage, not peacetime collisions with freighters. Therefore, in an expected combat scenario, the crew berths would be empty during Battle Stations situations. So, torps and missiles would hit empty compartments (nobody sleeps through a battle stations condition).

Stand-by for "that guy" to pop in and tell you, you are wrong...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11457 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buckeye1
posted Hide Post
I love it!

Posts: 51 | Location: Phoenix Az. | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is exactly the reason hatches are closed on flooding compartments with crew members still inside. If the safety of the crew was the top priority they would leave the hatches open and let them flood and the entire crew would abandon ship. They sacrifice some crew members to save the ship.

That's not how they would do it on Star Trek.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
One thing that would reduce loss of life is not having crews quarters along the sides of the ship. That location can easily be damaged by both ships and missiles.
Yes the sides would be a much better storage location for missiles ammunition and the ships vital components. The crew would be much safer.

Big Grin

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9434 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
This is exactly the reason hatches are closed on flooding compartments with crew members still inside. If the safety of the crew was the top priority they would leave the hatches open and let them flood and the entire crew would abandon ship. They sacrifice some crew members to save the ship.

That's not how they would do it on Star Trek.

Water tight hatches and bulkheads can be opened or closed from both sides. So you can close and latch them depending on which side of that water tight door is flooding. The problem most of the time is, in a mostly flooded compartment you wouldn't have enough leverage to open them. Safety of the ship is the number one priority. It is best to save many (rest of the crew), than just a few crew at the expense of many.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buckeye1
posted Hide Post
Your an IDIOT

Posts: 51 | Location: Phoenix Az. | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeye1:
Your an IDIOT

Uhhh, dude...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30891 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your an IDIOT

Moi? Mais bien sûr.

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father used to be a Merchant Marine after he got out of the US Navy. He was speaking recently with another MM and he had a theory that there may be a possibility that these merchants ships are intentionally ramming US Navy ships in hopes of getting some pay out from their insurance and the US Government. He said that the US Navy will not fire upon a merchant ship because if they did even as self defense, world public outcry would be very bad for the US Navy firing on an unarmed merchant ship. Just a theory. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3091 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
My father used to be a Merchant Marine after he got out of the US Navy. He was speaking recently with another MM and he had a theory that there may be a possibility that these merchants ships are intentionally ramming US Navy ships in hopes of getting some pay out from their insurance and the US Government. He said that the US Navy will not fire upon a merchant ship because if they did even as self defense, world public outcry would be very bad for the US Navy firing on an unarmed merchant ship. Just a theory. God Bless Smile

Wouldn't the AIS show that?

Beside a destroyer should be able to run circles around a tanker, with one propeller tied behind its aft, just to make it fair.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your an IDIOT

*You're*

Besides, at whom are you directing your insult?

The post right above this one was 100% correct about water-tight doors. Save the ship, and THEN worry about saving lives. It's what happened with the Fitz (shutting in 7 sailors in order to save the ship), and it's what they did here.

And, by the way, childish name-calling like this is generally frowned upon here.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Utterly absurd hypothesis.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30891 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Utterly absurd hypothesis.

Wait until the insurance companies figure out they are being fiddled with. I bet it is hard to book a load of freight if you can't be insured.

No, the overwhelming likelihood is that all the failsafe systems and procedures which almost always prevent these things didn't this time. Someone didn't get the word, someone got confused, misunderstood, etc.

I recalled today that a factor in the Stockholm-Andrea Dorea collision of 60 years ago was that the watch officer thought the radar was on a different scale and believed it showed the other ship at 15 or 18 miles away when it was less than 5 miles. Suddenly they popped out of the fog at each other. Something like that.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post