SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    California bans charging of electric cars
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

California bans charging of electric cars Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wonder how to spell stupid in Spanish. Gavin must know.

Newsom is close enough

it can actually be used as a rough translation for a lot of things...

Posts: 53206 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
I'm sure Leonardo Dicaprio will do one better and set his thermostat to 79°.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Essentially could care less because they have brought this down on themselves.. They made their bed of roses now they can go sleep on the thorns. .......................................... drill sgt.

Agree but millions of them moved here and I wish they’d go the fuck back.

Ya no shit I keep seeing more CA plates lately.
To all you CA people stay in fucking CA

"the soul of a dog is pure"

Posts: 265 | Location: VA | Registered: June 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
People aren't supposed to charge their electric vehicles? That's funny, right there!

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19690 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Step 1: Ban ICE car sales
Step 2: Ban charging of EVs
Step 3: ?

step 3 is require you to use Mass Transit

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Virginia
Glenn Youngkin was interviewed last night regarding this MCF, and is in the process of attempting to undo that mess in VA.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6219 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
[nelsonhaha.jpg]

Enjoy the bus. Imagine the shitshow that will ensue in a few years when they ban new ICE vehicles and they still haven't upgraded their electrical grid.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
These lefty, do gooder, control freaks think they're making such a difference. What they end up doing is actually making people's lives much worse. If other states follow suit as sdy stated, we will see major country-wide power supply problems.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38695 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
They haven't banned charging electric cars.

They asked people to voluntarily not charge their cars (or do other power intensive things) between 4-9pm. Yes it is still ironic, but they haven't banned charging cars.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2271 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have several family members who work at IPP (Intermountain Power Plant) near Delta, UT. It is a 2400MW coal plant that is 51% owned by the city of Los Angeles. The plant could potentially be double that, since only two of the four planned units were actually built.

In 2025, that plant will be reduced to 700-900MW after the mandatory transition to NG. Mandated by their primary owner, LA. California is facing shortages while they are busy removing capacity from their system. IPP, BTW, was operating full steam to pump electricity into Texas during the great freeze of recent years. The power went down to Arizona, then was interconnected to the TX grid. In summary, we can all think that CA can bathe in their own policies, but they do impact other parts of the country. Shadenfreude isn’t a good fit here.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
They haven't banned charging electric cars.

They asked people to voluntarily not charge their cars (or do other power intensive things) between 4-9pm. Yes it is still ironic, but they haven't banned charging cars.

It doesn't make sense. During 4-9pm, they ask people to not charge EV, use AC, use appliances, etc. Let's say everyone complies but then as soon as 9pm hits, everyone turns on their AC and charges their EV. That's no problem? It's only a problem if everyone does it between 4-9pm?

No matter what, CA is fucked up. You do "green" things and then they penalize you. What fucking moron decides this shit?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12736 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Ships in port in California aren't being allowed to hook up to shore power this weekend due to the heat wave.

Every person with an ICE powered vehicle should make it a priority to park in any and all vacant electric car charging ports for the sake of the environment.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30415 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I was thinking earlier today with the War in ICE Cars if people will rethink nuclear for electricity production. Its my understanding its not currently "hip" to the green energy folk. Massive wind turbines and solar....all over the countryside.

Posts: 2522 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The 4-9 thing actually does make sense. Between 4 and 9, the demand is shifting between where people work and where they live. It’s not a one for one immediate switch where a person leaves the office, turns off the light, goes home, and turns on the light. The office buildings shutdown gradually until the last person makes it home, so there’s overlap as the office buildings shutdown and people get home where demand is higher. This will be especially true if people plug their EVs in as soon as they get home if they weren’t plugged in at the office.

Electricity has to be generated on demand because storage is prohibitively expensive. You can build power plants with enough capacity to cover peak demand, but again, it’s prohibitively expensive because, and I’m making this number up just as an example, 35% of the capacity only gets used 20% of the day. It only makes money during the 20% of the day and it costs money the other 80% of the day. This is why electricity cost more during peak hours; you’re paying for the costs incurred when the capacity isn’t being used.

Posts: 10975 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
They will prolly go with a rationing system, certain blocks can charge during x hours, others y hours, others z. State officials and cronies will get passes for anytime charging, etc.

Posts: 2017 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
The 4-9 thing actually does make sense. Between 4 and 9, the demand is shifting between where people work and where they live. It’s not a one for one immediate switch where a person leaves the office, turns off the light, goes home, and turns on the light. The office buildings shutdown gradually until the last person makes it home, so there’s overlap as the office buildings shutdown and people get home where demand is higher. This will be especially true if people plug their EVs in as soon as they get home if they weren’t plugged in at the office.

Electricity has to be generated on demand because storage is prohibitively expensive. You can build power plants with enough capacity to cover peak demand, but again, it’s prohibitively expensive because, and I’m making this number up just as an example, 35% of the capacity only gets used 20% of the day. It only makes money during the 20% of the day and it costs money the other 80% of the day. This is why electricity cost more during peak hours; you’re paying for the costs incurred when the capacity isn’t being used.

You're right. I guess it does make sense; basically, electricity demand is doubled for a time as offices can't power down while people are still there even though perhaps most people are at home and demanding electricity there.

That being said, seems like a pretty good spike expected at 9pm..... They need to make reasonably priced 3-5 ton AC's that only consume 1kw instead of the 5kw mine seems to take (maybe they do already - mine is a 20 year old 13 seer). And not sure why they punish the ones with solar w/ the highest rates.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12736 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greg1147:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Essentially could care less because they have brought this down on themselves.. They made their bed of roses now they can go sleep on the thorns. .......................................... drill sgt.

Agree but millions of them moved here and I wish they’d go the fuck back.

Ya no shit I keep seeing more CA plates lately.
To all you CA people stay in fucking CA

......and Here I sit in Florida with CA plates on my truck. I escaped and Im not going back. A lot of people like myself didn't vote for the insanity, saw what was coming, took a large pay cut and made their escape. Much Like immigrants from communist countries you shouldnt be surprised that we're the ones that fight against that crazy system the hardest.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What moron didn't see this coming?

Posts: 59 | Registered: April 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
California. Hahaha...

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Liquid fueled vehicles are to be banned!

Everyone must buy electric as they are better

Charging electric vehicles are now banned

Buy bicycles....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37988 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post