SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your company Christmas party like ?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your company Christmas party like ? Login/Join 
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
They paid for a fair to midland Prime Rib dinner at a shity bar.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Companies I've worked for have mostly had lunch/dinner at someplace near the office. Sometimes some form of gift exchange.

Never had a pay your own way. type party.

Pay for drinks at the bar before or after the party maybe but not a full pay your own stuff.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16449 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Up until I started my current job no Christmas party, at best an extra 15 minutes or half hour to lunch time and potluck. What is this Christmas Bonus? Again, at best a small turkey.

Now, we have an employee luncheon between runs in the midday the last Friday before Christmas break, the boss smokes some brisket, porkbutt, chicken. Some other stuff is provided, the rest potluck.

No bonus of any type.

After work we usually have a bunch of co workers get together somewhere, but that's pay your own way.

ARman

Posts: 3212 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
My previous job, as an auto tech, was for a Meineke franchise. We had 7 employees at the last Christmas party. The owner invited all the employess and spouse to an Upper Class restaurant called The Gin Joint in downtown Tampa. We were told specifcally to order whatever food/drinks/dessert we wanted. The food was very good to excellent. I had one drink of single malt scotch, a rare 16oz bone in ribeye with peppercorn sauce and a vegateable that I don't remember. We all had a great time. I think the younger guys were trying to drink him into bankruptcy! I did notice that when I order the scotch John, the owner, tipped his beer in my direction and winked at me. I took that to mean he concurred in my drink of choice as he too enjoys a good scotch. I did notice a Japanese scotch for $100 per serving and was tempted. But my drink was 12 year old and cost $20 so I would have felt guilty and presumptuous ordering it. Between food and drinks he probably spent $2000+ for a bunch of wrench turning heathens. Big Grin

Christmas bonuses were individual and mine that year was $300 American Express gift card.

The Year prior the "shop" went to Ivarone's Steak House and Italian Grill in Tampa. We also received a similar bonus.

I was kind of surprised at his generosity since most of my career as a Tech we neve had a Christmas party and I didn't expect such and expensive party from a small shop owner.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was told that my Christmas bonus was my paycheck

Posts: 1460 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Just had ours last weekend, and I went in with really low expectations for three reasons:
  • Last year, I ended up at the boring table. We had cocktails and Hors D’oeuvres on the patio and then went to a private room for dinner. I made the mistake of stopping at the restroom on the way from the patio to the private room, and the only seats left were at the zero laughs table.
  • I quit going to this year's restaurant 12 to 18 months ago because of 2 bad/mediocre meals in a row
  • The secretary spilled the beans that this year's restaurant was 33% less money per person than last year's restaurant

This year, the cocktails and Hors D’oeuvres were in the same private room as the dinner, and there was a zero percent chance I was going to the restroom before dinner. As a result, I wound up a great table and we laughed all night long. Additionally, the Hors D’oeuvres, soup, entree, sides, and dessert were all delicious. For example, we had 3 choices for entree and I ordered the steak and they delivered a perfectly medium-rare steak just like I ordered.

This is the 2nd time I've worked for this division in the Company. Ten years ago, all we got was a lunch catered by the cafeteria, a $30ish item with the Company logo on it, and told to take the rest of the day off. I much prefer what we're doing now.

No bonuses given, but that's our norm.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23638 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Muzzle flash
    aficionado
    Picture of flashguy
    posted Hide Post
    I have been retired (a free man) for 13 years now, so don't know what my former employer does for Christmas parties. When I was working, my work group typically had a "spread", which is a pot-luck affair where everyone brings something, and the company provides tables and a place to eat, with a couple of hours to schmooze. There was no "employer-sponsored" party.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of lkdr1989
    posted Hide Post
    We had our company Christmas party at a brewery! It started at noon and was supposed to last for 3 hours, then everyone could take the rest of the day off. Craft beers and as much delicious pizza & appetizers you could hold! I had fun!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4357 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Alea iacta est
    Picture of Beancooker
    posted Hide Post
    15 Christmas parties at Harbor Wholesale Foods... 12% of my annual salary was a bonus.
    Amazing dinner at an incredible venue.
    Even more amazing prizes.
    Great time for everyone.

New company. Good party.
    Food was pretty good.
    Being there a month at time of party, bonus was very generous.
    Gifts was a weird gift exchange that was kind of seriously fucked up.
    I plan to take the reigns for the next Christmas party.

quote:
    Originally posted by sigmonkey:
    I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
    The “lol” thread

Posts: 4314 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Evil Asian Member
    Picture of LastCubScout
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jman78:
    Do you get a bonus ?

Does the company pay for the party ?

Yeah, we get a bonus.

Yeah, the company pays.

The type of party varies. I work for a retail chain. Most of the time with our store it's a gathering at a bar or pub. Sometimes it's a district-wide gathering with multiple stores represented. I went to one of those that was held in a nature museum after hours. A few of the people know each other across stores, but most of the time each independent store's personnel just hangs with each other and don't mingle much.

Posts: 5605 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Page late and a dollar short
    posted Hide Post
    Now retired. When I worked I did not participate, not worth the effort. It was all minimal participation to placate the masses.

-------------------------------------——————
    ————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8364 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ignored facts
    still exist
    posted Hide Post
    Nothing. No party.

----------------------
    Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11086 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of FlyingScot
    posted Hide Post
    Nothing. We used to be a great team of folks and fun Christmas. Now nothing, too risky and expensive.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    We have a departmental Christmas party at a sports bar or craft beer place like Yard House and food is provided but we have to pay our own way for drinks.

Then we have a corporate Christmas Party at a big hotel in the area and it’s a really nice time; live music, food, open bar, dancing. Regrettably we could not make that one this year due to our child’s preschool Christmas program that night.

Posts: 34514 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Purveyor of Death
    and Destruction
    Picture of walker77
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jman78:
    Do you get a bonus ?

Does the company pay for the party ?

In all my years of working the company always payed for some type of event, and usually a small bonus.

I am now selling mid to high end furniture, good size company, and the store Christmas party is at a local restaurant, and it is pay your own way.

I have never heard of a company doing this in almost 30 years of working, in a wide variety of sales environments.

Ours is at a double tree hotel, catered food and all.

They make us pay $20 a person to go (kids are free) and we are expected to go especially since I'm a supervisor. I've always been "busy" that weekend and unable to go.

Posts: 7403 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    SIG's 'n Surefires
    Picture of M-11
    posted Hide Post
    What's this "bonus" of which you speak?

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
    "Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
    "Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of cusingeorge
    posted Hide Post
    My company is employee owned, and with that, no one wants to spend more than is absolutely necessary, so this Friday, I'll be grilling steaks from the local grocer, we'll eat in our meeting hall, they'll have a drawing for mediocre gifts, and the president will say a few words about how great things will be in 2020. Might get a C note, might not.

My tongue swore, but my mind was still unpledged.

Posts: 2199 | Location: Calumet, Oklahoma  | Registered: August 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    What is the
    soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
    I don't go. It's some sort of lunch pot luck, with maybe the office providing some entree. Not as big as the Thanksgiving lunch party, where more entrees are provided, most likely due to Thanksgiving being non-religious. Waste of time.

Posts: 2055 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Expert308
    posted Hide Post
    Years ago we used to have a company Christmas party. It would start around mid-afternoon in the big conference room downstairs. Food, drinks, actual Christmas decor. It would run until 7 or 8 in the evening, or until people got tired of pretending to have fun and started leaving in droves. Sometimes individual teams would go out for a nice lunch, sometimes on the boss' company credit card and sometimes not.

Then the company got bigger and became more "socially aware" and all that shit, and it became a "Holiday party". Pretty much the same thing except no mention of Christmas and no Christmas decor. Hannukah stuff, yeah. Christmas, no. I quit going at that point. This year? Nada. Nothing. Zilch. Zip.

Bonuses? Uh uh. Not in years. Like maybe twice in the 18+ years that I've been here.

Posts: 7394 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    A company I used to work for had a dinner party, mediocre food, no bonus, but open bar.

People took advantage of the open bar and got throwing-up drunk, so they stopped the unlimited open bar and just gave everybody two tickets for drinks.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31370 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post