SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your company Christmas party like ?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your company Christmas party like ? Login/Join 
Picture of Jman78
posted
Do you get a bonus ?

Does the company pay for the party ?

In all my years of working the company always payed for some type of event, and usually a small bonus.

I am now selling mid to high end furniture, good size company, and the store Christmas party is at a local restaurant, and it is pay your own way.

I have never heard of a company doing this in almost 30 years of working, in a wide variety of sales environments.

Posts: 185 | Location: Victorville, CA | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Had my Christmas party today. Boss came by and dropped off some material for me and handed me a check for $1,000.

Pay you own way? WTF? Why would anyone even go. I rather take my wife out to dinner instead.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21103 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
We give employees their Christmas bonus the week of Thanksgiving so they can use it for Christmas shopping if they want to. We take the whole staff to lunch at a private club on a Friday before Christmas (this coming Friday this year) and then give everyone the rest of the day off after lunch. We have a great staff and it's fun to do things for them.

Posts: 2691 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
We have some lame, awkward, bring something to the "party"...rather get work done.

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Pay your own way? I’d skip that one! I work remotely now so no party but my prior jobs we’d go out to eat on the company and some would give an Xmas bonus,others would elect to give bonuses at other times around year end.

Posts: 4522 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I always worked for hospitals. Notoriously cheap unless you were upper management. They would give you cafeteria Christmas lunch with paper thin prime rib. Best part was nice dessert cart. Your bonus was a 15# turkey.

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kind of sucks.....because it's not a Christmas party. It's a winter celebration. I haven't attended in a few years. Potluck style on a Thursday. I'm remote, so it ain't worth the 4-5 hour roundtrip for some vegetarian dish.

We've been bought out twice in the past 8 years and the corporate, touchy feel good stuff has only gotten worse. Back in the day when we were employee-owned, the company usually paid for a nice party for the employee and guest/spouse. Bonuses were handed out on the sly and always generous. On the first buyout, the high tech company out of Boston came out west for the party. Dropped $250K for a high end party that didn't have much affect on me (don't drink, didn't need the hotel room, etc). Since then, bonuses are in April or May if we get any. Kind of lame.

P229

Posts: 3943 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of sour pusses/ pussi ?? pussum ??

Well, have fun if you can. merry Christmas. may God bless you all.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have spent most of my career working for small businesses. Most of them have given me a token bonus ($25, $50 a couple of times) and an "attaboy," but the last party was, I think, when I worked for a large corporation, and that was in the mid-80s.

Posts: 28632 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
We usually all go out to lunch one day during December, and the boss pays for everyone. No bonuses or anything else.

Posts: 1634 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
We had ours last week.

Company paid for lunch out, a gift for everyone and I received a $1k bonus, ( Uncle Sam got a portion of that Mad) but overall, a well run and enjoyable lunch/party.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Historically it's always been a company paid lunch or dinner before Christmas.

I now work for a diverse company and we have a "Holiday Party" in Mid January- Jan 17th this year.

What Holiday are we celebrating? All the decorations have been put away. No I won't be going.

A long time ago I worked at a privately owned company. The owner would give us a Christmas Bonus of about 20% of your salary. It was fantastic But people still complained and he stopped doing it.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13487 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No holiday bonus.

The company pays for an end of year party. Location varies. This year it's a catered affair in the office on a Saturday night due to budget constraints. I will not be attending.

I worked at one company that had a party but employees had to pay to attend. I don't think that worked out so well.

Posts: 4321 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Our office party was last week. Catered from a Chinese restaurant. They played a bunch of stupid games and had a gift exchange/white elephant. I left with a cheesy coffee mug. Food was good and it was on the clock.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We all go out to lunch somewhere nice and go back to the office for (lots of) presents. Boss pays for everything. Oh, yeah - and we always get decent bonuses too.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I own a small business, sole proprietorship. No party. But went to my wife's Christmas party at a DFW country club. Nice evening, gambling tables, host bar (two drink tickets each), prime rib dinner. She received a X-mas bonus.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17146 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It's great - we don't have one!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always worked for hospitals. Notoriously cheap unless you were upper management. They would give you cafeteria Christmas lunch with paper thin prime rib. Best part was nice dessert cart. Your bonus was a 15# turkey.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It was not like that in the 1980s. Christmas cards and a large catered party with a live band, open bar and lots of fun. Even medical staff meetings had good food and booze back in the day. In addition there would be private cocktail parties held at the house of the CEO.

These days not even a Christmas card, the CEOs make more than the physicians and they eliminated free food in the cafeteria and closed the doctors dining area. Maybe that is why there are more disgruntled hospital workers.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
Lunch with Director and rest of the team. Exec Director hosted an evening party at her house. Money is tight this year so no company funds could be used AFAIK.

Right before Thanksgiving the CEO announced ~10% layoff of the professional staff worldwide to be completed in Q1 2020.

Merry Frickin' Christmas.

So now people had to shop for Christmas knowing they "could" be out of a job when the bills come. It would be so much better to let people get through the year nicely, then announce the layoffs after the new year. Or just lay people off by surprise. But they are giving "30 days notice" in business days before Jan 2, 2020 per Federal law (WARN Act) - except my understanding of the law is that the specific individuals need to be given 30 days notice, not a general announcement.

And a bunch of "happy holidays" emails from various senior executives with not one mention of Christmas. Funny, they don't have a problem honoring other country's/religion's holidays by name...

Posts: 4913 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
We have an "end of year" event every year. This year it was to a Jaguars football game. 2 tickets for catered food at the stadium's tailgate zone and seats in the stands for the game. They had to spread it over 2 weekends due to the manufacturing ops schedule.

Annual bonuses are paid out in March.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3899 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post