SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why don't some large retailers use tap for credit card payments?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why don't some large retailers use tap for credit card payments? Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
I have gotten very used to using my chip credit card to tap for payments at most retailers over the last few years. But a few larger retailers I visit do not offer tap, it is still just swipe or insert. And these are large retailers, like Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot.

At first I thought maybe it had something to do with old machines, but Lowes by my house just upgraded their machines in 2021, so I do not think that has anything to do with it.

Is there a security reason not to offer tap in addition to swipe and insert? Something else?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
More than likely, the cost of setting up every card reader in the store, every store. That or they want to retain control of everything with their own system.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
I have gotten very used to using my chip credit card to tap for payments at most retailers over the last few years. But a few larger retailers I visit do not offer tap, it is still just swipe or insert. And these are large retailers, like Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot.

At first I thought maybe it had something to do with old machines, but Lowes by my house just upgraded their machines in 2021, so I do not think that has anything to do with it.

Is there a security reason not to offer tap in addition to swipe and insert? Something else?

I've wondered this as well. I guess the expense of upgrading is and issue, and maybe they know something new is coming down the pike and want to wait. With my Apple card, the cash return is higher when using the NF function as opposed to swipe.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I asked same few weeks ago ... told for their store it was cost to upgrade.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I've asked at all those places and it's the cost to upgrade. Some have also said they don't want to pay the fees for Apple Pay or Google Pay.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
First world problems

What does it matter?

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
First world problems

What does it matter?

In the scheme of things, not something to lay awake at night about. Still, us humans have become to expect convivences, and those vendors that satisfy that win. I really enjoy the convivence of slapping my phone on the reader, and walking on out. Surely I could live with less than this, I did for many years.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
They haven't upgraded to newer POS terminals or its a cost issue.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just use cash and watch them try and give me the correct change. You are missing an opportunity.
Many working class guys I know pay with cash.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Yeah....Something I could give a shit less about.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First world problem... Move along.

ATW

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once you have done wax on wax off and pay with your watch on the tap. There is no pleasure in shoving your credit card up a slot.

I use paint the fence when boarding flights with the QR code on the watch.

Working on what I can use sand the floors for.

Cool

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Some are going to be in for a rude awakening when our power gets knocked out or the internet is disrupted.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
A matter of time I think. Ralph’s (Kroger owned) is the largest grocery chain in San Diego. Only recently did Ralph’s get tap-to-pay technology, even though smaller chains have long had it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
First world problems

What does it matter?

Since I quit using swipe-down (magnetic strip) credit card readers I’ve never had my CC hacked. I might be wrong, but I suspect that tap-to-pay is more secure than magnetic strip readers.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I might be wrong, but I suspect that tap-to-pay is more secure than magnetic strip readers.

You are not wrong, it is more secure. But, tap to pay still uses your actual credit card number inside the point of sale terminal.

Apple Pay is even more secure in this regard, as it creates a unique, one-time CC# for each transaction.

Tap to pay is very fast, though, while Apple Pay requires some form of authentication, FaceID being the quickest. I am unclear how tap to pay works using an iPhone, but it appears you must also have the merchant's app installed (for each merchant).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jamess1:
There is no pleasure in shoving your credit card up a slot.
Well, I guess that would depend upon the slot you're shoving into.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
Apple Pay is even more secure in this regard, as it creates a unique, one-time CC# for each transaction.
Which may be one reason big box merchants such as Lowe's, HD, and WalMart don't support it: Can't track customers by CC number if they use Apple Pay.

quote:
Tap to pay is very fast, though, while Apple Pay requires some form of authentication, FaceID being the quickest.
Enter the Apple Watch: Double-tap the side-button, up comes Apple Pay, hold it near the reader, *beep*, done!

quote:
I am unclear how tap to pay works using an iPhone, but it appears you must also have the merchant's app installed (for each merchant).

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tap to pay is very fast, though, while Apple Pay requires some form of authentication, FaceID being the quickest. I am unclear how tap to pay works using an iPhone, but it appears you must also have the merchant's app installed (for each merchant).

I use tap to pay with an iPhone and no, you don't need the merchant's app installed for each merchant.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

No need for merchant app with iPhone, Watch or Apple Card. With iPhone, just look at your phone to open it, push the side button twice and hold it near the reader. This will work even if you don't have an Apple Credit card designated as the default card. But then your actual CC number is used instead of the one time number you get with the Apple Card. Haven't tried it but it's said to work with a debit card selected. I'd never do that.

-D.H. Lawrence